Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Your model of 'Mons Meg' is fantastic, but wowee, the prototype has a very ungainly side profile!

Some unkind people might allege that it looks ungainly from any angle. Definitely an acquired taste, but essential for PN.

I really like an A3 with DC and GN tender, almost as much as I like a Modified MN with 6.5gal tender (Big Boy's trolly).

P

The only A3 I ever saw in service, Lancastrian, I didn't get over the Pennines much! Was Harvester,. She had a double chimney, no German deflectors and a GN tender.

Lovely!

C.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The only A3 I ever saw in service, Lancastrian, I didn't get over the Pennines much! Was Harvester,. She had a double chimney, no German deflectors and a GN tender.

Lovely!

C.

That one was very rare indeed down south.

• RMweb Premium

Spookily I saw Harvester at Newcastle in '61 or '62. I think it was shedded at Neville Hill at the time? I've even got a photo somewhere and that's whay I think I like the DC and GN Tender combo.

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Spookily I saw Harvester at Newcastle in '61 or '62. I think it was shedded at Neville Hill at the time? I've even got a photo somewhere and that's whay I think I like the DC and GN Tender combo.

P

Yes, it was a Neville Hill engine for many years, which is why we never saw it south of Leeds or York, both of which were out of pocket money range. Just checked Yeadon, and it was withdrawn from there in 1963, having been there for many years.

Yes, it was a Neville Hill engine for many years, which is why we never saw it south of Leeds or York, both of which were out of pocket money range. Just checked Yeadon, and it was withdrawn from there in 1963, having been there for many years.

I was a little boy on my first visit to York with my Dad.

Harvester and a V2 un-named made a big impression. I have models of both running on the trainset.

C.

• RMweb Premium

And so we come to the last two trains to be photographed on another late summer day at PN. As it is now past 1000pm, one marvels at the camera's ability to be able to turn out these images well after sunset, but we shall not enquire more deeply. From the north comes the last local from Grantham.

post-98-0-11726600-1529137161_thumb.jpg

This formation ran from Doncaster to Grantham earlier in the evening, and had a rest before coming on to PN. The A3 no doubt has a more challenging job to follow. BZ CK TSO BZ is the unusual formation, by the way.

From the South, the 7.21pm slow from KX. The HMRS survey showed this to be A4 hauled on successive days in July 58, with number 10 being in charge on the second day, so here it is doing the same turn again a few weeks later.

post-98-0-06202100-1529137506_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Nice day, poor golf, ate my annual sausage. No more to be said really. I'm fixated on this view at the moment.

attachicon.gif20 2 3.JPG

But then I tried something more experimental.

attachicon.gif21 2 experiment.JPG

Not the finished article, but I think this can be made to work, especially if the loco is allowed to move a bit further onward, and thus straighten up a bit.

The second photo is an interesting shot from a new angle that I haven't seen used before but if you are going to use it regularly I would consider adding some ballast.

It is not apparent in the first photo but shows up in the second, maybe we have just been spoiled and we or not used to seeing bare track on Peterborough North running lines

• RMweb Premium

The second photo is an interesting shot from a new angle that I haven't seen used before but if you are going to use it regularly I would consider adding some ballast.

It is not apparent in the first photo but shows up in the second, maybe we have just been spoiled and we or not used to seeing bare track on Peterborough North running lines

Bear with us please Richard. That is as far as we got last time we worked on it. Tim is pencilled in to visit again next month, and both the ballasting and the filling of the gap between original baseboard and extension are on the work schedule. Space behind there is very limited, so having someone half my age to sqeeze in there has considerable appeal for me. There is a lot to be done on the bend from Crescent Bridge too, but again it has to wait till time is available.

• Like 1

There is a lovely shot of Harvester at Harrogate on the south bound 'Queen of Scots'. in Pennine Steam.

I have no idea of engine changes on crack North Eastern express trains, but would this be one of the rare times she actually got down to the 'Smoke'?

C.

• RMweb Premium

There is a lovely shot of Harvester at Harrogate on the south bound 'Queen of Scots'. in Pennine Steam.

I have no idea of engine changes on crack North Eastern express trains, but would this be one of the rare times she actually got down to the 'Smoke'?

C.

No, she would have come off at Leeds Central, and a Copley Hill A1 would have taken over, as the train reversed there. The Neville Hill A3s had no duties to the south of Leeds at all. Their work was between Leeds, York and Newcastle.

No, she would have come off at Leeds Central, and a Copley Hill A1 would have taken over, as the train reversed there. The Neville Hill A3s had no duties to the south of Leeds at all. Their work was between Leeds, York and Newcast

Of course the train would reverse.

I said I had no idea about GN train movements!.

I remember the Yorkshire Pullman in the 70's.

Thanks for clearing that up.

C.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No, she would have come off at Leeds Central, and a Copley Hill A1 would have taken over, as the train reversed there. The Neville Hill A3s had no duties to the south of Leeds at all. Their work was between Leeds, York and Newcastle.

....and Hull, I've seen a pic; Google A3 Class Locomotive 60074...quite good fun.

P

• Like 1

....and Hull, I've seen a pic; Google A3 Class Locomotive 60074...quite good fun.

P

Just done it.

One shot, exactly as I remember seeing her over 50 years ago!!!

C.

• RMweb Premium

Apologies. I have found a lot of things not seen for years but not the album in which Harvester features.

P

Phil, you are to stop looking for this album. You must make no more efforts to find it. In fact you must expunge all thought of it from your mind completely. That will guarantee that you will very soon find it while looking for something else entirely.

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

Oh, those nine hours, what fun we used to have, goods trains to KX goods, freightliners, first and second mail, parcels trains................sleepers. :boast:

manna

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

G'Day Folks

Oh, those nine hours, what fun we used to have, goods trains to KX goods, freightliners, first and second mail, parcels trains................sleepers. :boast:

manna

Yes, there would be some very interesting workings if I did a night sequence, wouldn't there?  I'm not sure where I could store all the stock though, nor how I could find the funds to acquire it. A rake of sleepers on those 66ft bodies? :scared:

• RMweb Premium

The grain wagons (and others) make a nice background in the upper picture!

They work very well, don't they, as they have a good deal of bulk to them. I remembered that I had three up in the loft, which, added to the rake Phil has kindly loaned me, cover quite a lot of ground. I've no photographic evidence of them at PN, but surely in such an agricultural area they would have been needed in late summer/early autumn?