Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

Now and again an unexpected and very pleasant surprise comes along. Very high on any list of mine would be an offer of a very nice B17, and a March engine at that. Our member Mark(46444) made me that offer last week, this being a loco which he has altered from the standard Hornby model following the example of our guru, Tim.  One look at it on his blog was enough, and  today it arrived here.

attachicon.gif61633.JPG

All necessary alterations have been done to get this correct for 61633, and it really is a fine job. Many thanks Mark.

A top bloke is our Mark [46444] and very generous too. I think you need a proper ​Castle though Gilbert. ;) 

• Like 2

I'm satisfied the camera is not guilty. It is Windows Photo gallery that thinks it knows best. But then, computers always think they know best, don't they?

Which only proves a PC is female. Buy it a new dress or summat, it will work then.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Now and again an unexpected and very pleasant surprise comes along. Very high on any list of mine would be an offer of a very nice B17, and a March engine at that. Our member Mark(46444) made me that offer last week, this being a loco which he has altered from the standard Hornby model following the example of our guru, Tim.  One look at it on his blog was enough, and  today it arrived here.

attachicon.gif61633.JPG

All necessary alterations have been done to get this correct for 61633, and it really is a fine job. Many thanks Mark.

Did 61633 always run with the centre tender wheelset off the road? This is presumably one of the "necessary alterations"?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've got a vague memory of having read or seen a picture of C12s being used on those trains, but that may have been before the period of your layout?

It would be logical Steve, though 67398 was the last one left by my period. That probably means N5s were used instead though. I can't do that, especially having just acquired another B17.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Did 61633 always run with the centre tender wheelset off the road? This is presumably one of the "necessary alterations"?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I think you can safley blame the person who tried to put it on the rails.....again.

• RMweb Premium

A top bloke is our Mark [46444] and very generous too. I think you need a proper ​Castle though Gilbert. ;)

I don't know much about Kimbolton. Was/is it not a proper castle then? I suppose I could get Alnwick Castle as well. I've seen that one, and it definitely is a proper castle.

• RMweb Premium

G'day Folks

We will allow you to bend the rules and use your C12 on the PE trains, put it down to Artistic licence........

manna 

But I want an excuse not to run it, so I can use B17s D16s and J15. The C12 gets in shot on lots of pictures anyway, and it is very old and needs a quiet life.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Golf today is again very near to a former main line, but one which has very little traffic on it at the moment, and it isn't visible from the golf course anyway. Before I go out to do the other kind of shopping, here is the front three quarter view of 61635 resting at Platform 6.

post-98-0-69489600-1526974706_thumb.jpg

and while it simmers contentedly, 60105 heads off on the next stage of its journey.

post-98-0-78549900-1526974805_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Kimbleton Castle did exist,but is now little more than a mound with a ditch around it with the whole thing covered in trees. It is close to Kimbleton House and Kimbolton  School (Public ?)   It is not far from Grafham Water and the town of Huntingdon.

Besides which it is a proper Castle  it was Designed by the "Great Man" himself Sir Nigel Gresley not one of the imposters from Swindon.

(Spits to cleant out mouth for even mention the place)

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Like 2

Both of today's visitors arrived bearing goodies. Phil, our resident duck, brought, as promised, lots of wagons to sit on the two new sidings. I haven't had time to photograph those yet. Steve (31A) brought two more coaches I have been eagerly awaiting, and I did manage to get a quick shot of those. I've been wanting at least one of the Gresley short coaches built originally for the GE section for a long time now, and we settled on a brake second, built using RDEB parts now available from Wizard models. Steve did it in fairly shabby crimson and cream, for which I have a particular liking.

attachicon.gifGE 1.JPG

Some strange reflections in the windows this side, but nothing compared to what happened when I turned it round.

attachicon.gifGE 2.JPG

The two apparitions in the windows adjacent to the brake end do not exist. I was so shocked when I saw them I ran up to check! They must be reflections off the blinds, which were behind me when I took this, though I don't see how it could happen.

The other one has a protracted history. Phil did most of this some time back, the deal being that I would then glaze it, add an interior, and do the lining and lettering. I started it, but then my eye problems got worse, and so I asked Steve to finish it for me.

attachicon.gifRC 1.JPGattachicon.gifRC 2.JPG

This is a conversion using MJT sides of a 'orrible Hornby coach, Phil having added to and amended the underframe detail. It goes straight into one of my Leeds sets, replacing the incorrect RK which has been there for years, and thus removing another minor irritation. I need to add the number to one side, and you are at liberty to keep nagging me about that so that it gets done expeditiously.

Thanks again to both gentlemen for their company, and their help. Now Steve wants another challenge, but I can't think of anything yet.

I'm particularly in awe of that Gresley short carriage for the ex-GER. If those were ever produced RTR I might need to restrain myself. Wonderful work.

Paul

Edited by Fenman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Both of today's visitors arrived bearing goodies. Phil, our resident duck, brought, as promised, lots of wagons to sit on the two new sidings. I haven't had time to photograph those yet. Steve (31A) brought two more coaches I have been eagerly awaiting, and I did manage to get a quick shot of those. I've been wanting at least one of the Gresley short coaches built originally for the GE section for a long time now, and we settled on a brake second, built using RDEB parts now available from Wizard models. Steve did it in fairly shabby crimson and cream, for which I have a particular liking.

attachicon.gifGE 1.JPG

Some strange reflections in the windows this side, but nothing compared to what happened when I turned it round.

attachicon.gifGE 2.JPG

The two apparitions in the windows adjacent to the brake end do not exist. I was so shocked when I saw them I ran up to check! They must be reflections off the blinds, which were behind me when I took this, though I don't see how it could happen.

The other one has a protracted history. Phil did most of this some time back, the deal being that I would then glaze it, add an interior, and do the lining and lettering. I started it, but then my eye problems got worse, and so I asked Steve to finish it for me.

attachicon.gifRC 1.JPGattachicon.gifRC 2.JPG

This is a conversion using MJT sides of a 'orrible Hornby coach, Phil having added to and amended the underframe detail. It goes straight into one of my Leeds sets, replacing the incorrect RK which has been there for years, and thus removing another minor irritation. I need to add the number to one side, and you are at liberty to keep nagging me about that so that it gets done expeditiously.

Thanks again to both gentlemen for their company, and their help. Now Steve wants another challenge, but I can't think of anything yet.

I must add that the original Restaurant 'bash' that I started has been beautifully improved by Steve. I had not done a successful job on the body shell arrangements to attach it to the Hornby UF. He sorted that in an excellent way. I can also confirm that both these coaches are very tidy indeed.

When G does includepics of the 'items' for the background Midland lines then do not laugh as most of the items are really aged. Some vans being Wrenn, a couple of wagons being Trix and Grafar and the rest some really 'orrible Triang Hornby things from the mid 70s! You may seem some Wrenn Grain Wagons. These are very tidy examples of a not very common item to buy second hand, but if any Wrenn Collectors would like to have some then contact me as I won't ever use them and they are only temporary on P. N.

Phil

• Like 1