Peterborough North

great northern

and then another view of part of Hermit, plus an Ivatt backing down onto the 8.30 to Melton Constable. It is however several minutes late off shed, so passengers will be a bit miffed.

Given how slow ex-M&GN trains were (average journey speeds of under 20mph were not uncommon), I’d be amazed if the passengers noticed. Or, knowing what they were letting themselves in for, whether they cared much.

I sometimes idly wonder whether it would have been useful/ more lucrative for BR to have run a Peterborough-Wisbech-Lynn-Fakenham-Norwich shuttle “express”. Even today there’s enough business to sustain an hourly express double-decker operating that route (and on to Yarmouth and Lowestoft). Still, that idle speculation takes us away from your lovely, lovely model.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I really like all of the photos that you post, the low camera position gives a wonderful realistic image. Keep up the good work.

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Given how slow ex-M&GN trains were (average journey speeds of under 20mph were not uncommon), I’d be amazed if the passengers noticed. Or, knowing what they were letting themselves in for, whether they cared much.

I sometimes idly wonder whether it would have been useful/ more lucrative for BR to have run a Peterborough-Wisbech-Lynn-Fakenham-Norwich shuttle “express”. Even today there’s enough business to sustain an hourly express double-decker operating that route (and on to Yarmouth and Lowestoft). Still, that idle speculation takes us away from your lovely, lovely model.

Paul

Yes, we tend to forget how much slower the pace of life was back then, particularly in rural areas, and it didn't get much more rural than the fens. There's nothing wrong with a bit of idle speculation either, in my view. It's a bit late to be finding ways of avoiding the slaughter of the railway system in the 50s and 60s, but one thing is for sure, a lot of commuters would be glad if they had the opportunity of using some of those lines now.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

No comment, Gilbert! lol. But lovely photo’s, as always, and I can’t wait to see what Peter Leyland has delivered for you. But I, along with everyone else, will wait until tomorrow. ;)

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Little spare time at present, so just two more progress pictures this morning. Here is the reverse angle on the new cul de sac.

post-98-0-27746700-1528183811_thumb.jpg

To a degree we are making this up as we go along, as photos of the real thing are so rare. We now need the building to come down to a different level, so Peter will be extending it as can be seen from the photo. I'm not happy with the effect at the left side of the new fence either, so we will look at that again too.

Of course the railway behind that building should be running only on a gentle curve, and in reality it was the entrance to the South goods yard complex. There should be an absolute maze of track here, which is clearly impossible to replicate. I have however extended the one other track that came under the bridge, which up to now I have cropped to hide the fact that it went nowhere.

post-98-0-28230400-1528184188_thumb.jpg

it still can't join up to anything, the track geometry won't allow that, but I now have plans for what will run alongside it. All of this , of course was not originally going to be developed at all, but I reckon we can make something good out of it, even though it will be far from the prototype in some ways. Now I must compose e-mails.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

The photo numbers 18319 and 18325 "highlighting" the shadow of the bridge onto the track brings even more depth and realism to the layout. No doubt you will be able to continue with shots at other angles with similar effect. 

As always - Great stuff! 

Eric

• RMweb Gold

You may be seeing more like this in future folks.

I hope so Gilbert, if that side on of the V2 is anything to go by

Edited by trw1089