Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

I suppose we will never get correct Gresley corridor stock at this late date. But kit building and or scratch building means we can chose from all the many different diagrams that any RTR can never hope to do. One example would be the 1933 cream and green Tourist stock. They will almost certainly never be made available by Hornby or any of the other RTR manufacturers.

So kit or scratch building it must be for Gresley corridor stock. Any mistakes are then entirely of, literally, our own making.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Still trying to get the best angle for approaching southbound trains, I got our man on Platform 2 to have another go.

attachicon.gif3 02 3.JPG

and then we tried something ambitious, which I don't feel came off. You don't know till you try though.

attachicon.gif5 02 5.JPG

I think that shot through the canopy, highlighting the area beyond is great!

• RMweb Premium

Two more shots of the 02, because they are very graceful and attractive beasties. Here it is again, having emerged from under the roof.

post-98-0-30401600-1535448368_thumb.jpg

and then side on to get the full effect.

post-98-0-93712500-1535448429_thumb.jpg

I really liked 02s, even when I was a sub teenage oik, so some vestiges of taste and discernment existed even then. Later, I spent an age building Nu Cast ones, and trying to get them to run properly.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Can you tell me how far south the O2's would have gone?

Regards, Geoff

I'm cheating Geoff, because I like them so much. In reality by 1958 they rarely got South of New England. It's one of my frustrations that so many classes I like arrived there from the North, but got no further. I do have a few photos showing 02s waiting on the Down slow at PN, so they'd obviously been further South, and I've an entry in Railway Observer which says that a few were on loan to New England in the mid 50s. Based on such slight justification, I've assumed a sudden shortage of WDs, and another spell of loans.

• Like 2

I'm cheating Geoff, because I like them so much. In reality by 1958 they rarely got South of New England. It's one of my frustrations that so many classes I like arrived there from the North, but got no further. I do have a few photos showing 02s waiting on the Down slow at PN, so they'd obviously been further South, and I've an entry in Railway Observer which says that a few were on loan to New England in the mid 50s. Based on such slight justification, I've assumed a sudden shortage of WDs, and another spell of loans.

Looks like I will have to use the same modellers license then as I also really like them and have four of them.

I'm also quite partial to a WD, not the most attractive of locomotives, but there's just something about them I like.

• RMweb Premium

Sleep deficit is now so great that I am thinking longingly of bed even as early as this. I shall therefore post the evening photos  now, and give myself the option of retiring whenever the mood takes me.

The relief has gone, and it is time for the main train the 9.55 Up Newcastle. A prestigious train really, so couldn't Gateshead find anything better than a run down and overdue for shops A4?

post-98-0-35199000-1535487706_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-68681600-1535487750_thumb.jpg

should be in pieces in the Crimpsall, which is where in August 58 it actually was. More modeller's licence...

• Like 19

Sleep deficit is now so great that I am thinking longingly of bed even as early as this. I shall therefore post the evening photos now, and give myself the option of retiring whenever the mood takes me.

The relief has gone, and it is time for the main train the 9.55 Up Newcastle. A prestigious train really, so couldn't Gateshead find anything better than a run down and overdue for shops A4?

8 23 1.JPG

9 23 2.JPG

should be in pieces in the Crimpsall, which is where in August 58 it actually was. More modeller's licence...

What no late crest and double blast pipe?

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like a good excuse to me! They were of course regular on New England to Hornsey freights before the war, and worked south more frequently in the early fifties. I have seen a picture of 63971 at top shed which I’m using as my excuse.

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What no late crest and double blast pipe?

In reality she was in works from 29th July 58 to 18th September, during which time she acquired both. That rules her out for Aug 58 of course, which is the narrow time frame of the layout. However, I wanted to have one single chimney A4, and it is a lovely name, so I gave myself licence. I still can't explain why I can't bring myself to do the same for Falcon though she was in works at more or less the same time.

• RMweb Premium

A shot from the loading dock.

post-98-0-30248900-1535537381_thumb.jpg

and then the next visitor on the Up, where most of the action is taking place at the moment. This is a Colwick- KX Goods train, and on arrival at New England the shedmaster found that there was a Retford engine at the front. Since it had apparently already been "borrowed" once, he decided to let it have a very rare trip up to London.

post-98-0-24532400-1535537626_thumb.jpg

Another lamp has slipped sideways between leaving the fiddle yard and getting here.

Edited by great northern
  • Like 18

Ah.....a bit of Thompson-ism creeping in.

It's OK to have modeller's license for 60023, but not for 60113?

I'm preparing a letter to the paper as I type..... It will have appeared in the Peterborough Evening Telegraph of August 1958. I wrote it when I was six. They were delighted to hear from a hard-done-to small boy upset by yet another example of bias against edward Thompson, who had allegedly been revered by the editor when he was a lad.

And for the benefit of anyone now scoffing, I actually DID write to the BBC at six years old when they moved the start time of my favourite programme, Highway Patrol, beyond my bedtime. AND I got a reply!

• RMweb Premium

Ah.....a bit of Thompson-ism creeping in.

It's OK to have modeller's license for 60023, but not for 60113?

I'm preparing a letter to the paper as I type..... It will have appeared in the Peterborough Evening Telegraph of August 1958. I wrote it when I was six. They were delighted to hear from a hard-done-to small boy upset by yet another example of bias against edward Thompson, who had allegedly been revered by the editor when he was a lad.

And for the benefit of anyone now scoffing, I actually DID write to the BBC at six years old when they moved the start time of my favourite programme, Highway Patrol, beyond my bedtime. AND I got a reply!

Well, Jeff, my reply to the editor will point out that PN features no less than 26 of the works of Edward, eight of which are Pacifics. That means that nearly twenty per cent of the locomotive stock was designed or rebuilt by ET. Bias? The statistics show otherwise. :jester:

• Like 2

In reality she was in works from 29th July 58 to 18th September, during which time she acquired both. That rules her out for Aug 58 of course, which is the narrow time frame of the layout. However, I wanted to have one single chimney A4, and it is a lovely name, so I gave myself licence. I still can't explain why I can't bring myself to do the same for Falcon though she was in works at more or less the same time.

It is a lovely name. Shame is that alot of the Gateshead A4s had better names than ths corresponding non corridor A4s based at Kings cross. Unfortunately the former were usually filthy

• RMweb Premium

It is a lovely name. Shame is that alot of the Gateshead A4s had better names than ths corresponding non corridor A4s based at Kings cross. Unfortunately the former were usually filthy

Yes indeed. Sparrow Hawk or Miles Beevor? No contest. I once listed my A4 name preferences, and I confess that list has influenced my choices to a large extent. Miles Beevor sits at number 34 and last, so you won't be seeing it on PN.

• RMweb Premium

You could adopt the Julian calendar.

• Like 1

There's no need for the photographer to risk his life on my account - I don't find head-on views like that show your models at their best. Maybe it's the camera lens, perspective or maybe the gauge compromise but I much prefer the first shot to the second.

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

There's no need for the photographer to risk his life on my account - I don't find head-on views like that show your models at their best. Maybe it's the camera lens, perspective or maybe the gauge compromise but I much prefer the first shot to the second.

Chaz

Just trying something different Chaz. I don't like it much either, but then it often turns out that I'm in the minority, so I take 'em, stick 'em up, and wait to see what happens.

• RMweb Premium

Yes indeed. Sparrow Hawk or Miles Beevor? No contest. I once listed my A4 name preferences, and I confess that list has influenced my choices to a large extent. Miles Beevor sits at number 34 and last, so you won't be seeing it on PN.

Interesting that. Miles B was the only A4 I know I was hauled by (there were probably others, but not seen at the stops at the Cross in Spring 1962) and so it is one I would want.

Phil