Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

With regard to livening things up a bit, I've been having a think. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you get most enjoyment from:

• the research required to produce the layout and train formations;
  • the creation of the formations you have researched, whether from existing stock or new acquisitions; and
  • the operation of said trains, thereby bringing your research to life.

If, I'm right, then operating a different day of the week would give you a great challenge, and would allow you to use most of your existing stock with only minor additions.

The other things you could try are:

• shaking it up with some special workings as people have mentioned - were there any famous railtours in your period?
  • maybe adding some different freight trains - did the Cliffe-Uddingstone cement work in your period with presflos - that would be a great train to model.
  • and my particular favourite...extending your sequence into the evening!

On the final point I'm making slow and steady progress with the two Thompson sleepers I promised you. I attach a picture of the state of play. The d.368 is finished apart from roof, glazing and interior. The d.369 was waiting for MJT underframe parts, but they have now arrived, so there's no excuse now.Details of the build are on my workbench thread at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135510-coulsdon-works/?p=3324289.

post-19760-0-10301600-1542381951_thumb.jpg

Regards

Andy

• Like 6

Tracery has a light load tonight, and so can stop before the dodgy platform signal.

attachicon.gif5 59 2.JPG

Another A3 then arrives with the last Up Grantham local. The Grantham shedmaster has not been reading his transfer orders. Had he done so he would have noted that he should have transferred 60048 to 34A back in June. That must now be done. There are rumours that some other allocation errors have been discovered too.

attachicon.gif6 48.JPG

Hi Gilbert

Thats a very nice realistic weathering look to your A3 60048 Doncaster.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

With regard to livening things up a bit, I've been having a think. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you get most enjoyment from:

• the research required to produce the layout and train formations;
  • the creation of the formations you have researched, whether from existing stock or new acquisitions; and
  • the operation of said trains, thereby bringing your research to life.

If, I'm right, then operating a different day of the week would give you a great challenge, and would allow you to use most of your existing stock with only minor additions.

The other things you could try are:

• shaking it up with some special workings as people have mentioned - were there any famous railtours in your period?
  • maybe adding some different freight trains - did the Cliffe-Uddingstone cement work in your period with presflos - that would be a great train to model.
  • and my particular favourite...extending your sequence into the evening!

On the final point I'm making slow and steady progress with the two Thompson sleepers I promised you. I attach a picture of the state of play. The d.368 is finished apart from roof, glazing and interior. The d.369 was waiting for MJT underframe parts, but they have now arrived, so there's no excuse now.Details of the build are on my workbench thread at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135510-coulsdon-works/?p=3324289.

attachicon.gifDSC_1623.JPG

Regards

Andy

Those look great Andy, and will allow the evening to extend a little further. I'll respond to your other points later, if I may, as bed is calling.

Nothing moving , so our cameramen just have a wander round, and take some still life shots.

2 name.JPG

3 N5.JPG

I'm finding that a really tight crop can usually make something look presentable.

A student once asked the great photographer Capa what he could do to improve his work. The maestro replied “if your photos aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough”.

Cropping is a wonderful thing!

Paul

• RMweb Gold

When you say you don’t feel like running trains, yet manage to take pics, I do fear that you sometimes feel obliged to the rest of us. I would hate to think that providing pics has become a burdensome yoke. If you have a day or days when the railway is too much effort, then leave it be and don’t post. Your enormous investment in the layout must not risk becoming tedious.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, so just take time and have a wander. This was a saying included in the Duck Chronicals, Volume 246, 1996.

Hope you enjoyed Little Bitethem and that you mentioned stuff about wagon details to the company?

Don't suppose you went to see Grabthem, the Steamroller Years at Wakefield? Looked good in the press reports.

Now, I believe both those train sets have used the Dr Who method of operations on a few occasions. Could you possibly consider a similar, but more advanced and 'forward' thinking version? There must be enough DCC fitted locomotives somewhere away from PN and the appropriate stock to provide half a dozen services in (say) the final spring of steam south of York? In fact, a considerable amount of your stock would be just fine as it is (if you squint and ignore some of the Coach Roof Boards). It might just mean more diseasels and a certain amount of prep and tidy up, but that would also give you and friends a chance to maybe give stuff a brush off and maybe the layout a spring clean and check up? I'd be up for a couple of days helping with that. There would need to be rearrangement of items to provide fiddle room, but that could be done carefully without having to store stock back in their boxes; I believe you have a good amount of spare storage space in your Loco Depots and cassette cabinets? 

There was a chap at the Retford (mini) Show at the weekend who had the best Deltic sound programme (legomanbiffo) I have encountered and others (Class 40?) really great bass and throaty roars. I know you don't like sound that much but it would only be a few blasts away from the north and south ends really if I could persuade him to visit you (he is a 36E staff member).

We need to identify some friends with DCC steam loco's of a suitable lineage as mine are not permitted. I do though have a couple of decent sounding Diseasels (31, 25, 20) and a good looking Brake Tender that would not have been seen on PN before AFAIK.

Have a think and CU Wednesday ABW.

Ducky

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

When you say you don’t feel like running trains, yet manage to take pics, I do fear that you sometimes feel obliged to the rest of us. I would hate to think that providing pics has become a burdensome yoke. If you have a day or days when the railway is too much effort, then leave it be and don’t post. Your enormous investment in the layout must not risk becoming tedious.

No worries Ian. I only do what I feel like doing, and sometimes several days pass without my visiting the layout at all. I've noticed in the past though that on the occasions when I do just take still life photos, mainly of buildings, many people seem to like them, so it becomes another option for me. As you say, a lot of time trouble and cash has gone into the layout, so I really do want to make good use of it. Anything that motivates me to get in there is good so far as I'm concerned.

• RMweb Premium

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, so just take time and have a wander. This was a saying included in the Duck Chronicals, Volume 246, 1996.

Hope you enjoyed Little Bitethem and that you mentioned stuff about wagon details to the company?

Don't suppose you went to see Grabthem, the Steamroller Years at Wakefield? Looked good in the press reports.

Now, I believe both those train sets have used the Dr Who method of operations on a few occasions. Could you possibly consider a similar, but more advanced and 'forward' thinking version? There must be enough DCC fitted locomotives somewhere away from PN and the appropriate stock to provide half a dozen services in (say) the final spring of steam south of York? In fact, a considerable amount of your stock would be just fine as it is (if you squint and ignore some of the Coach Roof Boards). It might just mean more diseasels and a certain amount of prep and tidy up, but that would also give you and friends a chance to maybe give stuff a brush off and maybe the layout a spring clean and check up? I'd be up for a couple of days helping with that. There would need to be rearrangement of items to provide fiddle room, but that could be done carefully without having to store stock back in their boxes; I believe you have a good amount of spare storage space in your Loco Depots and cassette cabinets? 

There was a chap at the Retford (mini) Show at the weekend who had the best Deltic sound programme (legomanbiffo) I have encountered and others (Class 40?) really great bass and throaty roars. I know you don't like sound that much but it would only be a few blasts away from the north and south ends really if I could persuade him to visit you (he is a 36E staff member).

We need to identify some friends with DCC steam loco's of a suitable lineage as mine are not permitted. I do though have a couple of decent sounding Diseasels (31, 25, 20) and a good looking Brake Tender that would not have been seen on PN before AFAIK.

Ducky

Yes thanks Phil, a very good day with Tony, with much philosophising about our different ways of getting satisfaction from the hobby, but plenty of satisfaction that we can both recreate what we remember from 60 years ago.

The idea of a spring clean and check up is very welcome, as is your offer of help. I'm still thinking about the best way forward, but funnily enough now I've started the sequence again I'm enjoying it.

Tony and I talked at length about possible team operation, and speed of operation too. His sequence is much shorter, but 50+ moves can be made in a couple of hours. When we analysed it though, there are several reasons why I can't move things on that quickly, not least the fact that some of his trains can legitimately do a circuit four times as quickly as mine! Add on the nightmare complexities of the real PN which I have built in, and the crossovers at each end which make running two trains at the same time quite difficult, and I really have to accept that I must live with what I've got.

I'm happy to have some noisy diesel visitors, provided someone else does any videoing stuff. As to Whovian time shifts, I'm not so sure about that. One or two of David Jenkinson's " funny trains" might appeal more. Anyway we can discuss futher on Wednesday, dear chap.

• Like 3

Ducky

Good ideas, Phil,

Some of the most-enjoyable times I've experience in running Little Bytham is when friends bring their own locos to operate. So far, I've had everything from American multi-diesel units, Korean brass, weird and wonderful industrial steam, right through to every main line class of British steam loco, not to mention some French and Italian stuff! At best, we have four different trains fizzing round (five, if the M&GNR is used - last time, a Stanier Five was seen!); the complete Dr Who scenario. 

I suppose what's best (and I'm prejudiced here, I admit) is that almost anything can run - even DCC; the only restriction applies to ancient RTR with steamroller wheels. 

Possible food for thought on PN? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

Yes thanks Phil, a very good day with Tony, with much philosophising about our different ways of getting satisfaction from the hobby, but plenty of satisfaction that we can both recreate what we remember from 60 years ago.

The idea of a spring clean and check up is very welcome, as is your offer of help. I'm still thinking about the best way forward, but funnily enough now I've started the sequence again I'm enjoying it.

Tony and I talked at length about possible team operation, and speed of operation too. His sequence is much shorter, but 50+ moves can be made in a couple of hours. When we analysed it though, there are several reasons why I can't move things on that quickly, not least the fact that some of his trains can legitimately do a circuit four times as quickly as mine! Add on the nightmare complexities of the real PN which I have built in, and the crossovers at each end which make running two trains at the same time quite difficult, and I really have to accept that I must live with what I've got.

I'm happy to have some noisy diesel visitors, provided someone else does any videoing stuff. As to Whovian time shifts, I'm not so sure about that. One or two of David Jenkinson's " funny trains" might appeal more. Anyway we can discuss futher on Wednesday, dear chap.

Thanks for a most-enjoyable day, Gilbert.

Next time, I promise not to cock-up the operating.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for a most-enjoyable day, Gilbert.

Next time, I promise not to cock-up the operating.

Regards,

Tony. 

Well, you were trying to do three things at once, while conducting a conversation at the same time. A lovely day as always, and thanks to Mo for the lunch.

• Like 1