Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

That is beautiful! Tim, I appreciate that you may not wish to give away your trade secrets, but if you ever did a loco weathering demo at a show, I'd be there.

He is going to be demonstrating shortly Andy. I'll leave it to him to give the details.

• RMweb Premium

Unhook the point linkages G? Beautiful A1 by the way.

Phil

Sometimes miduck, you are very perspi clever. Thank you so much. Tim and I were so focused on the failed motor that we didn't consider alternatives. It will mess up a couple of macros, but that's a small price to pay for full operation.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

I think I'm finally just about there with your Thompson sleepers. Here are some photos.

The main thing that's still concerning me is the interior. As discussed, I've represented them with blinds on most of the berth side windows as I think punters would be settling down by the time your chosen train reached PN. I've shown a few on each coach with interiors representing berths not yet occupied (bar car/ getting on at PN/ not sold that evening). Does anyone on here know whether they had blinds/ curtains and if so, what colour they were. I've adopted second class interior colour as my best guess but it is not based an any evidence.

Gilbert, I've done them with 'Tony Wright' style goalpost couplings - is that OK?

Any other constructive criticism welcome - have I missed anything obvious?

Regards

Andy

post-19760-0-14981500-1544527817_thumb.jpg

post-19760-0-29989600-1544527826_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Gilbert,

I think I'm finally just about there with your Thompson sleepers. Here are some photos.

DSC_1625.JPG

DSC_1626.JPG

The main thing that's still concerning me is the interior. As discussed, I've represented them with blinds on most of the berth side windows as I think punters would be settling down by the time your chosen train reached PN. I've shown a few on each coach with interiors representing berths not yet occupied (bar car/ getting on at PN/ not sold that evening). Does anyone on here know whether they had blinds/ curtains and if so, what colour they were. I've adopted second class interior colour as my best guess but it is not based an any evidence.

Gilbert, I've done them with 'Tony Wright' style goalpost couplings - is that OK?

Regards

Andy

Now those look interesting!

• RMweb Premium

Very nice work from the weathering master as always. 

I shouldn't be surprised, but each time I notice it I am: rods down at 6 o'clock really does make a difference for a loco portrait (for me, anyway).

Cheers

Scott

It should be rods down for a slogger, rods up for a racer.  Try it....  :sungum:

Love 60123 - that finish is spot on. What a pity that the A1s saw so little service, magnificent machines that went for scrap far too early.

A friend of mine bought some Cobalts as an alternative to Tortoises but had a lot of trouble with them (I can't remember the details) and regretted that he had used them. 

Chaz

Edited by chaz

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

attachicon.gifDSC_1625.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_1626.JPG

Regards

Andy

I can't help with your queries Andy, but they look very good to me. The couplings will be fine, thanks.

That is beautiful! Tim, I appreciate that you may not wish to give away your trade secrets, but if you ever did a loco weathering demo at a show, I'd be there.

He is going to be demonstrating shortly Andy. I'll leave it to him to give the details.

Thanks for your kind words, Andy.  Indeed, as Gilbert says, I am going to be demonstrating my weathering techniques at the Stevenage CMRA show next month (12th and 13th), so if you're planning to come along anyway, you'll find me "somewhere" there.  I haven't seen the floorplan yet, but it'll probably be where they usually have demonstrators hiding...

Lovely work by Mr Easter as normal. He is a very talented guy in other ways as I think I am correct in saying he plays Church & Cathedral Organs to a very high standard. Not totally unlike one Mr Foster from the Dales re weathering and playing/teaching a variety of musical instruments.

Two very nice gents in my humble opinion.

Regards,Del minus Rodney. :nono:

Yes, very much guilty (as per my avatar).  Going wildly off-topic, I've had ten solo recitals up and down the UK this year and next year is set to be even busier, including a trip to Switzerland for a (nicely!) paid one.  However, proving that music and trains frequently cross paths, it was nice to see a certain Mr King last week, given it was in his home town of Grimsby.

Cheers,

Tim

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your kind words, Andy.  Indeed, as Gilbert says, I am going to be demonstrating my weathering techniques at the Stevenage CMRA show next month (12th and 13th), so if you're planning to come along anyway, you'll find me "somewhere" there.  I haven't seen the floorplan yet, but it'll probably be where they usually have demonstrators.

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,

That’s good news. Stevenage was on my list for next year anyway, so I look forward to meeting you there.

Andy

Lovely photos as always. More than just the modelling I love that unique moment in time you have captured. I have an old Summer 1960 timetable and I always try to match the trains in your pictures with my timetable. It is amazing how many of the local and cross country services through PN had disappeared completely in the space of two short years, and others replaced by dmus.

Oh for a time machine ! Your pictures are the next best thing though. Keep them coming.

• Like 2

Lovely photos as always. More than just the modelling I love that unique moment in time you have captured. I have an old Summer 1960 timetable and I always try to match the trains in your pictures with my timetable. It is amazing how many of the local and cross country services through PN had disappeared completely in the space of two short years, and others replaced by dmus.

Oh for a time machine ! Your pictures are the next best thing though. Keep them coming.

I agree with this exactly. It would be about 1961 or 1962 that I started using the trains between Peterborough and Nottingham fairly regularly. I keep seeing references to Nottingham to KX trains here, but I always had to change at Grantham. They must have ceased in those three years or so.

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium

I was very careful in choosing the dates, I can assure you. I wanted the railway as it had been for a century or more, and that meant that the locals serving the stations on the main line were essential, as was the M&GN, though that was a comparative newcomer. Earlier periods were almost as attractive, but the main thing was to reproduce what I saw and still remember. I suppose this is my time machine really.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I agree with this exactly. It would be about 1961 or 1962 that I started using the trains between Peterborough and Nottingham fairly regularly. I keep seeing references to Nottingham to KX trains here, but I always had to change at Grantham. They must have ceased in those three years or so.

Lloyd

There was only the one through train from Nottingham Lloyd - the early morning one which had a Newark portion.as well. The two were joined at Grantham. The five set which formed the Nottingham portion returned in the afternoon and evening as a series of locals, and didnt get back to Nottingham till late on. Even in 1958 you would still have almost always had to change at Grantham.

Hi Gilbert

I have just purchased a Canon G12 on EBay as my Canon G1X has a minimum focusing distance of 200mm.

May I ask you what setting do you set your camera on when taking photos on your Peterborough North Layout.

I normally set the G1X on manual setting max apautre of f16 and set the camera on a tripod using the timer.

Your photos are excellent and I am new to the G12 so Iwould be interested in what settings you use.

Regards

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

I have just purchased a Canon G12 on EBay as my Canon G1X has a minimum focusing distance of 200mm.

May I ask you what setting do you set your camera on when taking photos on your Peterborough North Layout.

I normally set the G1X on manual setting max apautre of f16 and set the camera on a tripod using the timer.

Your photos are excellent and I am new to the G12 so Iwould be interested in what settings you use.

Regards

David

I always set at f8, unless I am shooting under the roof, but exposures vary enormously because of the large south facing windows. It can be anything from 0.3 of a second to 8 seconds, sometimes within a couple of minutes!  I find shooting on manual setting gives best results, with ISO set at 80. I very rarely use a tripod, but set the camera down firmly before taking photos.

It's a very nice little camera, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it once you get used to it.

I was very careful in choosing the dates, I can assure you. I wanted the railway as it had been for a century or more, and that meant that the locals serving the stations on the main line were essential, as was the M&GN, though that was a comparative newcomer. Earlier periods were almost as attractive, but the main thing was to reproduce what I saw and still remember. I suppose this is my time machine really.

You were fortunate in seeing the railway scene when steam was still dominant. I was a few years later, chasing steam as it faded away . My only memory of Peterborough is travelling up to Lincolnshire ( or more precisely travelling Down to Lincolnshire) arriving at Peterborough a few minutes early behind Mallard, which was taken off( much to my disgust ) and replaced by a run down Dante which then lost six minutes to Grantham (Much to my greater disgust) !

I always set at f8, unless I am shooting under the roof, but exposures vary enormously because of the large south facing windows. It can be anything from 0.3 of a second to 8 seconds, sometimes within a couple of minutes!  I find shooting on manual setting gives best results, with ISO set at 80. I very rarely use a tripod, but set the camera down firmly before taking photos.

It's a very nice little camera, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it once you get used to it.

Hi Gilbert

Many thanks for the reply, very helpful as I was not aware there was an 80ASA setting, I thought 100ASA was the lowest setting you could get.

Regards

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is a certain fascination about that filthy A2/3, which always attracts the camera several times. At least the first one is in black and white.

post-98-0-00042100-1544740534_thumb.jpg

But as it stands ready for the off, we get not so glorious technicolour again.

post-98-0-74931900-1544740600_thumb.jpg

What's that? Did I get on with things? Well, sort of. The failed Cobalt is attached to a three way point which has had a vital springy bit removed, so to remove it would render the whole thing floppy, and make three roads unusable, rather than two. This has caused much head scratching, and postponement of the anticipated stock transfers.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

There is a certain fascination about that filthy A2/3, which always attracts the camera several times. At least the first one is in black and white.

attachicon.gif2 515 2.JPG

But as it stands ready for the off, we get not so glorious technicolour again.

attachicon.gif3 515 3.JPG

What's that? Did I get on with things? Well, sort of. The failed Cobalt is attached to a three way point which has had a vital springy bit removed, so to remove it would render the whole thing floppy, and make three roads unusable, rather than two. This has caused much head scratching, and postponement of the anticipated stock transfers.

Replace the 3 way with another one (I have one C75 Leccyfrog) and use that on a temp basis.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Replace the 3 way with another one (I have one C75 Leccyfrog) and use that on a temp basis.

Phil

Not so easy Phil. I'll take a picture later to illustrate. It is in a vital position between other trackwork, and it took Tom Wright and I a very long time to get the geometry to work when we first laid it. I'm very worried that lifting and replacing might upset things even more.