Peterborough North

great northern

32 minutes ago, great northern said:

I bet they were very grateful to their parents.:rolleyes: My wife employed a lawyer called Rupert Bear in our divorce proceedings. He wasn't very cuddly.

I remember the name. He was a partner in some big firm in Nottingham. Weren’t they in the Ropewalk ?

When I was an apprentice I worked with an Instrument Engineer called Richard Bird (Known to all as Dicky).

I would meet him on site and on one occasion as a 18 year old was to meet him at Buckingham Palace to work in the boiler house.

Not for me the tradesman's entrance, my 105E Ford Anglia sailed through the Main Gates to the palace.

Out jumped an infuriated  Mr Bill Plod who almost exploded when I announced I was working with a DickyBird.

Severe ticking off and directed to the trades gate. We respected the police in those days (1965) , unlike some now.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jazzer said:

I remember the name. He was a partner in some big firm in Nottingham. Weren’t they in the Ropewalk ?

It was one of the big firms, but I don't remember the name. I'm afraid.

51 minutes ago, great northern said:

It was one of the big firms, but I don't remember the name. I'm afraid.

My little experience of Nottingham solicitors is that either they are completely stupid, or very bent.

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, FarrMan said:

My little experience of Nottingham solicitors is that either they are completely stupid, or very bent.

Lloyd

I have forty years experience Lloyd, working closely with many of them. As in any profession, there are a few bad pennies, but most I have known are decent and highly competent people.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

12 hours ago, great northern said:

I have forty years experience Lloyd, working closely with many of them. As in any profession, there are a few bad pennies, but most I have known are decent and highly competent people.

Gilbert

I am glad to hear it, but my experience re a small investment from a legacy some 50 years ago, when I asked for the money back, was not good.  At first all I got was the interest, though they claimed that that was all there was. When they did remember to send the original capital a year later, strangely it had not earned any more interest. It rather put me off them.

Some solicitors up here are not much better, though. A few years ago a client of mine got a solicitor to draft a letter admitting that they were to blame (fuel oil contamination to a neighbour), and charged £800 for it. After he had discussed it with me, I adjusted the letter explaining why my client was not to blame as accused, which was sent and accepted by the other party!

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

I think we should discuss model railways here, not the legal profession. There's other non-railway sections of the forum for that.

Quite right Martin. Thank you. Let's get back to trains.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Positively, definitely, undoubtedly, the last of the fish.

849600217_12amorefish.JPG.be4a40ca3cc804eadbf48550ee49e7dd.JPG

Sorry about the wonky signal arms. Hopefully this will be next on the list to be replaced.

Then we have another new angle from Crescent Bridge.

416691740_19dukeand881.JPG.8930b21c73ec4542cbae08ae113e1a33.JPG

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9