Peterborough North

great northern

Hi Gilbert

looking at the photos they look as though they are backlight to me but obviously I do not know the window locations in the room housing your layout.

I also have a problem with the location of the window to my room housing my Haymarket layout.

So my solution to the problem was I fitted Louvre blinds to the bay window in the room, added six LED spotlights with cool daylight lamps three each side of the layout on a track and I only now take photos when it’s dark outside to get the best from the spotlighting.

I find when there is no natural daylight coming in it seems to bring out the colours to locomotives and the layout a lot better.

by coincidence I have just put a photo on my Haymarket thread which I took yesterday afternoon with the winter sun shining  through the window.

I just gave a nice atmospheric light to the layout so I thought I would give it a go and to be honest I quite like the effect I got.

I hope some of the above information is of help to you as I know how frustrating it can be trying to take photos in difficult lighting conditions.

Regards

David

image.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional information
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

And I went further still, and cleaned the camera lens, with the special thingy for cleaning my glasses. I agree with Jeff though, I think it was lens flare. With the artificial lights on, I'm pointing the camera into the light from this side.

Lens hood needed.

I don't know if you remember when I took these pictures (two years ago), but without a lens hood I might well have got flare.................

1724565410_1111703.jpg.eccec2275e16af7ef360fcf44514032c.jpg

Earlier in the day, with loads of light coming from the left and towards the camera. Illumination on the RH side provided by pulses of powerful fill-in flash.

Dsc_5767.jpg.c69d20b57c224de407bb3089e6dd43b8.jpg

Later in the day, with almost no natural light - one can see the shadows of the loco and train caused by your room lights (normally, natural daylight would obliterate these). Lens hood on to obviate flare, and the shadows on the RH side softened by pulses of fill-in flash; much more control over lighting conditions.

What's a normal exposure time for your Canon, Gilbert? These two of mine were about eight seconds at F.32. Plenty of time to 'paint with light'.

I hope these comments help.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Lens hood needed.

I don't know if you remember when I took these pictures (two years ago), but without a lens hood I might well have got flare.................

1724565410_1111703.jpg.eccec2275e16af7ef360fcf44514032c.jpg

Earlier in the day, with loads of light coming from the left and towards the camera. Illumination on the RH side provided by pulses of powerful fill-in flash.

Dsc_5767.jpg.c69d20b57c224de407bb3089e6dd43b8.jpg

Later in the day, with almost no natural light - one can see the shadows of the loco and train caused by your room lights (normally, natural daylight would obliterate these). Lens hood on to obviate flare, and the shadows on the RH side softened by pulses of fill-in flash; much more control over lighting conditions.

What's a normal exposure time for your Canon, Gilbert? These two of mine were about eight seconds at F.32. Plenty of time to 'paint with light'.

I hope these comments help.

Regards,

Tony. 

The range is only f2.8 to f8 Tony. I keep it at f8 unless the light is really poor. 15 seconds is maximum, and it goes to1/4000, though I don't recall ever getting to that. Exposure can vary from half a second to eight seconds in no time flat when the sun gets put behind a cloud. As to the lens hood, I just forget.

• Thanks 1

Hi Gilbert 

I also now use the Canon G12 to take model Railway Photos.

I always set the camera to F8 and use a tripod.

I set the self timer to 2 second and 1shot, and then set the camera on manual focusing  and a shutter speed to suit the lighting conditions of the room.

These are all tips Tony showed me on the occasion I visited him at his home to see Little Bytham and they work a treat for me every time.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Additional information

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert 

I also now use the Canon G12 to take model Railway Photos.

I always set the camera to F8 and use a tripod.

I set the self timer to 2 second and 1shot, and then set the camera on manual focusing  and a shutter speed to suit the lighting conditions of the room.

These are all tips Tony showed me on the occasion I visited him at his home to see Little Bytham and they work a treat for me every time.

Regards

David

We do almost the same David. I set the timer to five seconds, and rarely use a tripod, as I like to get down as near as possible to rail level, but other than that, exactly what you do.

8 minutes ago, great northern said:

We do almost the same David. I set the timer to five seconds, and rarely use a tripod, as I like to get down as near as possible to rail level, but other than that, exactly what you do.

Hi Gilbert

Obviously we have both had lessons from the same master.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert

Obviously we have both had lessons from the same master.

Regards

David

Actually David, I had lessons a long time ago. My parents were both very keen amateur photographers, and to a standard where both had things  accepted for exhibition by the Royal Photographic Society. You couldn't live in our house without picking up quite a lot of knowledge. You also couldn't get into the bathroom, where our only toliet was located, on Sunday, as it was being used as a darkroom, but that's another story, and probably why I still cross my legs a lot.

Anyway, even all these years later, I still remember at least the basics quite well. I often wonder what Mum and Dad would have made of the equipment we have now. Dad was an architectural photographer, and spent hours in churches taking shots of fonts and such like with a plate camera, which needed exposures sometimes measured in minutes, and lots of them! 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, great northern said:

I often wonder what Mum and Dad would have made of the equipment we have now. Dad was an architectural photographer, and spent hours in churches taking shots of fonts and such like with a plate camera, which needed exposures sometimes measured in minutes, and lots of them! 

He would have been intrigued by tilt-and-shift lenses for SLRs and DSLRs, which provide the same versatility as a rising front on a plate camera. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

He would have been intrigued by tilt-and-shift lenses for SLRs and DSLRs, which provide the same versatility as a rising front on a plate camera. 

Bet you don't have to make your son stand around for ages making sure no-one walks between camera and subject though.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

60032 having got out of the way, another KX engine, 60039, can roll through non stop with the 8.00am Leeds.

14549110_7391.JPG.4ec870ab142181cb400cb1cf10095f0e.JPG

It is seen again making its way through the gloom under the roof.

1999312258_8392.JPG.dfd10293b85f71fd6593fa82ee0d5ba8.JPG

Are there any code breakers among you? Here is a vexed question.

Eju fp O pgyrm joy yjr mrcy lru skpmh gtpn yjr pmr O esmy?

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, phil.c said:

Natural light is of course the best but have you tried photofloods for those dark days, I use them for most of my shots.

A while back I received a most generous donation of some lighting, and with Tim's help, tried to set things up. Unfortunately there were some problems, it took ages to set up, and it got in the way. Being idle, I just can't motivate myself to take time to do things like that. Come to think of it, failing to attach the lens hood when I really know it is needed is another instance. I just want to be able to put the camera down and take pictures, which of course means I shouldn't moan about poor light.

There's no real effort involved in setting up the lights, it just takes a couple of minutes to light up an area, I have two Velux windows in my room and a 6' x 5' window at the one end,  good when it's a nice day but I take most of my pictures at night.

• RMweb Gold

While all sorts of technical solutions might be found to ease Gilbert's pain on difficult photographic days, the fact remains that in almost 10 years and 900 pages, he has produced a zillion outstanding pictures that have garnered his thread a large and faithful following. Within the limitations of a cramped environment - the room is full of railway! - and a camera he understands, he procures outstanding results. If it ain't broke, let's not try to fix it. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

While all sorts of technical solutions might be found to ease Gilbert's pain on difficult photographic days, the fact remains that in almost 10 years and 900 pages, he has produced a zillion outstanding pictures that have garnered his thread a large and faithful following. Within the limitations of a cramped environment - the room is full of railway! - and a camera he understands, he procures outstanding results. If it ain't broke, let's not try to fix it. 

11 minutes ago, phil.c said:

My post was not a criticism, as all Gilberts pictures look great, it was just a suggestion for taking shots in low light :)

Thanks to both of you are due. Phil is trying to help, and Ian, who has been a great support to me over the years, knows how set In my ways I am!  Suggestions are always welcome, but long term followers know that I tend to remain in my comfort and idleness zone.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, phil.c said:

Nice shots, did you ever think of putting in point rodding?

Only very briefly. It would be an enormous task, and really would have had to be done right at the start. A lot of it was actually set into channels, and so isn't all that noticeable on the real thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On the close up of 60039 "Sandwich", I thought there was a spotter/modeller who had climbed to the top of the water crane to photograph the top of the loco for a scratchbuilt model he was attempting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JeffP said:

On the close up of 60039 "Sandwich", I thought there was a spotter/modeller who had climbed to the top of the water crane to photograph the top of the loco for a scratchbuilt model he was attempting.

You have a vivid imagination Jeff.:jester:

• Funny 3