Peterborough North

great northern

4 hours ago, great northern said:

Our most run down local V2 now finds itself on even more menial duty.

929056877_11853.JPG.9b2bb75300b1d479d3a13813a1e13dfb.JPG

This may look like an express goods duty, but the headcode gives it away, and most of the formation, out of sight here, is made up of coal wagons.

To the left, Gannet can be seen starting away to Grantham, and our second man got a shot of that too.

437664763_12323.JPG.35a1a5eda357a72ee25f41ca9c3d07bc.JPG

No. 32 looks dirty. A striking contrast to some of the others.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 45156 said:

It is your choice Gilbert - we don't all enjoy the (sometimes forced) jolity, and whatever suits you is OK, as far as I'm concerned.

54 minutes ago, geoff west said:

Couldn't agree more. Enjoy your day Gilbert. 

Thanks both. As it happens, I'm having a lovely day. I got an unexpected surprise first thing, a very nice one too. The sun is shining, and after a strange and rather worrying start, a good long operating session has taken place. I have a week's supply of images now, so the weather can do as it pleases for a while.

Now, about this strange beginning. I set the road to bring a train from Down to Up fiddle yard, but it carried on to the Down. I told it off, then checked and found that a vital crossover had not thrown, so I apologised.  The crossover would not co-operate, whatever I tried, so I reversed the train to access the yard at the other end. It got part way, and came to a halt. I gave it a prod, like you do, and it set off again in the opposite direction, at full speed, and only the emergency stop button prevented it from running into the back of the White Rose.

Emergency stop kills all power, so I powered back on again. No more problems, the dead crossover now worked perfectly, as did everything else from then on.:scratch_one-s_head_mini: I haven't a clue what that was about. Can anyone suggest a reason? Clive will tell me, I'm sure he will.:mosking:

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Thanks both. As it happens, I'm having a lovely day. I got an unexpected surprise first thing, a very nice one too. The sun is shining, and after a strange and rather worrying start, a good long operating session has taken place. I have a week's supply of images now, so the weather can do as it pleases for a while.

Now, about this strange beginning. I set the road to bring a train from Down to Up fiddle yard, but it carried on to the Down. I told it off, then checked and found that a vital crossover had not thrown, so I apologised.  The crossover would not co-operate, whatever I tried, so I reversed the train to access the yard at the other end. It got part way, and came to a halt. I gave it a prod, like you do, and it set off again in the opposite direction, at full speed, and only the emergency stop button prevented it from running into the back of the White Rose.

Emergency stop kills all power, so I powered back on again. No more problems, the dead crossover now worked perfectly, as did everything else from then on.:scratch_one-s_head_mini: I haven't a clue what that was about. Can anyone suggest a reason? Clive will tell me, I'm sure he will.:mosking:

At a guess it was the naughty dobbie not getting some thingamajigs from the wotsit so that the cloutiebang would go whoosh thus making the puff puff go azoomer when it should have be going crawlly crawlly the other way. When you banged the big red button it told every thing off and they got their act together. 

If I am barking up the wrong tree I am sure the many fiends I have made in the RMweb DCC gang will tell me how important the extra C is if you want to baffle simpletons like me.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

At a guess it was the naughty dobbie not getting some thingamajigs from the wotsit so that the cloutiebang would go whoosh thus making the puff puff go azoomer when it should have be going crawlly crawlly the other way. When you banged the big red button it told every thing off and they got their act together. 

If I am barking up the wrong tree I am sure the many fiends I have made in the RMweb DCC gang will tell me how important the extra C is if you want to baffle simpletons like me.

"The many fiends", Clive? Now who the devil are you talking about?

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

I suppose I should elaborate on my diagnosis. When I was a poor apprentice Instrument Engineer my friend had his own TV repair business and on a Saturday I would help him in a carrying role with large heavy colour  tv's. If we wentto a new job rather than just a collection Chris would say It's the Morthrob,  Del.  We will have to collect it  The customers were highly impressed ,but in fact I knew it meant Chris hadn't got the foggiest idea what the problem was and so we would collect the set and he would work on it in the privacy of his workshop. It became a household word in my house and his and meant we were stumped for an answer to many problem that occurred.

Regards,Del.

• Like 5

When I was working in the Pye factory in Cambridge, I had another engineer transfer into our small department. A good engineer, he came from the TV engineer/rental TV side (actually Renbro in Cambridge - anyone remember them and their model shop?). He told me a story of a dear old lady customer, who frequently called them out to look at her rented TV. (He said he thought she was lonely and just wanted to see someone). He walked in & looked at the tv - nothing looked amiss - so went round the back and adjusted the knob on the back, so the picture slowly rolled. (Those of a certain age will remember that, unlike the youngsters). He then asked her to choose the best picture and he would stop it rolling on that one.....,.

Stewart

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

You are Stanley Unwin and I claim my five pounds.

• Funny 6

I see some 60, has been's are in concert @ Nottingham on 3rd April 2020. Can't remember WHO they are but one of them is a Railway Modeller WHO likes tea made for him (Quote:-  Babs once of Woodham Town fame)

Promise to behave in 2020 (to my standard of behaviour :P

Regards,Derek.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You are Stanley Unwin and I claim my five pounds.

I once played darts against Stanley Unwin in a Birmingham pub near the Gosta Green studios.

Could hardly play for laughing, he just had us in stitches.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Finally had a chance to catch up on all things PN, nearly 6 weeks of pics were enjoyed, comments were duly noted, and many lovely works of Timmed art were viewed.  Such a nice way to spend a Boxing Day evening.

Hope all is well with you Gilbert, and great to see PN still going strong.

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JeffP said:

I once played darts against Stanley Unwin in a Birmingham pub near the Gosta Green studios.

Could hardly play for laughing, he just had us in stitches.

About 60 years ago, my parents were given a book 'The Miscillian Manuscript' written by Stanley Unwin and illustrated by Roy Dewar, who said he had heard Unwin 'talking like my drawings'. Not being their cup of tea the book was quickly passed to me. It was full of new words, as you might expect, and to this day I refer to a powered, wingless flying machine as a heliclobber. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, CUTLER2579 said:

I see some 60, has been's are in concert @ Nottingham on 3rd April 2020. Can't remember WHO they are but one of them is a Railway Modeller WHO likes tea made for him (Quote:-  Babs once of Woodham Town fame)

Promise to behave in 2020 (to my standard of behaviour :P

Regards,Derek.

Thanks Derek, I will make very quick enquiries as to availablity. I haven't seen them live for many years.

The new album starts with a song called All This Music Must Fade. Classic Who rocker, and it may actually fade soon, as I've already played it so often.

• Like 2