Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Glibert

Just tell your neighbours they will get more sunlight in their living rooms each day. I am sure they wouldn't mind.

I'd need to turn into a politician first, because I'd be economical with the truth if I told them that.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, great northern said:

Stopping train time. 60109 has arrived with the 5.00pm ex KX. The HMRS journal survey shows  A3 haulage on two days, this A3 as it happens, plus one V2, one A2/2 and one A4. This was a train that split into Peterborough and Cambridge portions at Hitchin, and was double headed that far. I've seen photos of B1/B17 or two B1s, but I've only seen one image of a B1 double heading with an A4, so perhaps the HMRS picked an atypical week.

Gilbert,

I’ve heard of the later splitting train (1752 from King’s Cross) being double headed, but I never realised this one was. Are your pictures definitely of the earlier train? If so, could you point me in the right direction?

Andy

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

Gilbert,

I’ve heard of the later splitting train (1752 from King’s Cross) being double headed, but I never realised this one was. Are your pictures definitely of the earlier train? If so, could you point me in the right direction?

Andy

I wasn't altogether happy myself Andy, so I'll look into it again shortly. This could be either something misleading in the survey or a complete c*ck up by me. The odds may favour the latter, but we shall see.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

The odds were correctly calculated. I looked at the HMRS survey to find which locos worked the 5.00pm, saw that it split at Hitchin, put two and two together, and made five. I just confused it with the 5.52...... I think.  It does seem clear that both trains had portions for Cambridge and Peterborough, according to both HMRS and the carriage workings book, but presumably the 5.00pm left the Cambridge portion at Hitchin, where another loco backed on to that portion, and took in onward.

There is just one more interesting thing though. In Peter Coster's Book of the Great Nothern part 1, at page 109, there is a photo of a train at Harringay, double headed by B1 61093, a Hitchin engine, and A4 60025, which is the train engine. Coster's caption says that the photo "has him beaten", as the only regular double heading on the southern area was on the 5.52pm, which he says "would normally involve neither loco." Pacifics, he says "were only double headed in emergency, usually with much smaller locos, and certainly not away from the main depot".

All of which really just draws attention away from another Gilbert senior moment. Sorry for the confusion Andy.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, great northern said:

The Holme pick up  slows to the almost inevitable stop at the end of the Down slow.

121984248_5pickup2.JPG.5e3caa902f46005b0b6fb5a48ac0f110.JPG

and the 6.10 Leeds appears, Kittiwake ready for the stop here.

898252752_6120.JPG.9732237d80a69dc2fb4e80ef35970b7a.JPG

Not the usual West Riding type of formation, as we shall see.

1675021272_7rake1.JPG.ebbc4d428cc10ca2fde20435138fdcb2.JPG

1801781042_8rake2.JPG.87a624a264c72b3efdcd843db9675b71.JPG1041034817_9rake3.JPG.24bbef886def92ddff0d0672f18bd0cf.JPG434441757_10rake4.JPG.443ba8e543040c7a848e1919e8bd513b.JPG1179633890_11rake5.JPG.927610e2c958d2e89e24ea8e80c82690.JPG85682189_12rake6.JPG.077d2c861bd8965b792854477e50e749.JPG

End door SKs instead of the usual all door variety. Three brakes, all different types, and a couple of Thompson CKs. But no catering, as this is a Fridays only relief.

Would it be fair to say most reliefs would be made up of pre-mk1 stock (bar catering)?

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, davidw said:

Would it be fair to say most reliefs would be made up of pre-mk1 stock (bar catering)?

Most of the Newcastle/ Scottish reliefs seem to have been made up of end door stock, and it isn't shown as being MK1 in the official book. Conversely, most of the West Riding trains are shown as all door stock, again not MK1. BSK(4) on the East Coast trains, but BSK(3) on the  West Riding ones.  The trouble is of course that there are a number of exceptions to both of those basic principles, and it sems to have been fairly rare for the actual formations to match up to what the book says, except for the prestige seat reservation trains.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, great northern said:

Most of the Newcastle/ Scottish reliefs seem to have been made up of end door stock, and it isn't shown as being MK1 in the official book. Conversely, most of the West Riding trains are shown as all door stock, again not MK1. BSK(4) on the East Coast trains, but BSK(3) on the  West Riding ones.  The trouble is of course that there are a number of exceptions to both of those basic principles, and it sems to have been fairly rare for the actual formations to match up to what the book says, except for the prestige seat reservation trains.

Gilbert,

I love your Gresley and Thompson stock - it looks very elegant.

‘Q’ and, to a lessor extent, FO trains were there to serve the demand on the day. And in this era the railway still had lots of spare stock to make up trains as required. So, from looking at photos and educated guesswork, I suspect that such trains rarely followed the carriage workings, but were made up from what was available to serve the need (and any return working). For modelling, the best bet is probably to copy photographs, but I can rarely work out what is beyond the first 2 or 3 carriages. I suspect that your end door Newcastle/ side door Leeds rule is more of a bias than a 100% rule and that trains would have a mix of all types of stock with a bias towards LNER designs.

Andy

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Gilbert,

I love your Gresley and Thompson stock - it looks very elegant.

‘Q’ and, to a lessor extent, FO trains were there to serve the demand on the day. And in this era the railway still had lots of spare stock to make up trains as required. So, from looking at photos and educated guesswork, I suspect that such trains rarely followed the carriage workings, but were made up from what was available to serve the need (and any return working). For modelling, the best bet is probably to copy photographs, but I can rarely work out what is beyond the first 2 or 3 carriages. I suspect that your end door Newcastle/ side door Leeds rule is more of a bias than a 100% rule and that trains would have a mix of all types of stock with a bias towards LNER designs.

Andy

I am rapidly reaching the same conclusion Andy. I find increasingly that if I do something "right", according to the books, it is likely in practice to be wrong! That is actually turning out to be quite helpful when I find, for example, a coupling glitch.

There does seem possibly to be a bit of logic in the allocation of all door and end door stock though. The West Riding trains tended to have more stops, for which all door cars were preferred. I suppose three compartment brakes instead of four might also have been just to provide more seating on those stopping services.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, great northern said:

I am rapidly reaching the same conclusion Andy. I find increasingly that if I do something "right", according to the books, it is likely in practice to be wrong! That is actually turning out to be quite helpful when I find, for example, a coupling glitch.

There does seem possibly to be a bit of logic in the allocation of all door and end door stock though. The West Riding trains tended to have more stops, for which all door cars were preferred. I suppose three compartment brakes instead of four might also have been just to provide more seating on those stopping services.

I agree except that I’m not sure how three compartments have more seats than four! I suspect that 3 compartment brakes were on their way out and cascaded to less important services. They featured on Cambridge King’s Cross outer suburban trains in the late ‘50s.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

I agree except that I’m not sure how three compartments have more seats than four! I suspect that 3 compartment brakes were on their way out and cascaded to less important services. They featured on Cambridge King’s Cross outer suburban trains in the late ‘50s.

Ah! I'm glad you spotted that, Pike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5