DCC Sound

Chrisjh

I am relatively new to DCC having converted I am hightly delighted. However, in view of the complexity of all the different functions by different manufacturers I am just wondering if there is a template available that shows the different functions by each manufacturer ona sinle template? Many thanks and best wishes, Chris

• RMweb Premium

The short answer is, no. I've standardised on Zimo, because of their high quality. You can find a comprehensive list of their decoders and functions on their website. You'd have to go to other manufactures sites to find the details of their products.

There are some functions that are required to be to NMRA standards, but they won't answer your question.

Functions tend to mostly the same on sound decoders, and up to 20+.  Make sure your system can access all these.  Like Peterm, I have standardized on Zimo although my locos are 0 gauge.  I have bought my sound decoders from Digitrains.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brossard said:

Functions tend to mostly the same on sound decoders, and up to 20+.  Make sure your system can access all these.  Like Peterm, I have standardized on Zimo although my locos are 0 gauge.  I have bought my sound decoders from Digitrains.

John

Same here, John.  All decoders from Digitrains, sound files too. One loco; the DP1 has a Loksound because I couldn't get a decent file for a Zimo. Unless I start it at speed step 1, it won't start smoothly using the acc setting. CV2 is set at 1 and CV3 is at a high figure (can't remember exactly) and should be smoother, but that's another story.

• RMweb Gold

Chris, when I first read your post I wasn't sure how to answer.  When you say "manufacturer" are you asking about the model manufacturer for sound fitted locos off the shelf.  Or are you talking about the different sound decoder manufacturers?  Or are you asking about the different makers and distributors of sound files that you can reblow a decoder with?

Steve

Many thanks Gents very useful, my apologies I was referring to the sound decoder manufacturers, as I have noted there is in some small cases, quite a difference comparing for example the DCC Sound decoder used in Asscurascale (ESU) - which are great and the other DCC Sound manufacturers. So I was just wondering if anyone had produced a spreadsheet listing the Functions by DCC Sound decoders for ease of reference. Many thanks Chris

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Chrisjh said:

Many thanks Gents very useful, my apologies I was referring to the sound decoder manufacturers, as I have noted there is in some small cases, quite a difference comparing for example the DCC Sound decoder used in Asscurascale (ESU) - which are great and the other DCC Sound manufacturers. So I was just wondering if anyone had produced a spreadsheet listing the Functions by DCC Sound decoders for ease of reference. Many thanks Chris

It's still not entirely clear what you're asking, Chris.

Decoder manufacturers just provide the ability to map any F key to any sound and to one of an array of "Auxiliary outputs" that can be connected to lights and other devices. They don't prescribe what sounds or lights should be activated by what function key.

Loco manufacturers use the Auxiliary outputs to activate features on the loco however they see fit. There is a standard for directional lights, which loco makers stick to if the loco has such lights but no other outputs have standardised uses.

Sound project designers configure the function keys of a particular type of decoder to map to their sounds and lights for particular locos. There is no agreed standard between them about what function keys should be mapped to what sort of sounds (and it would be very difficult to do), except that F1 almost always turns the overall sound on and off.

So the number of permutations is enormous and there isn't enough common ground in this area to be able to condense the information in any useful way.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I don’t think that it will ever be possible to produce a definitive list as you suggest - even though it would be useful.

Each sound project is different and the choice of sounds included  varies from developer to developer and even from loco to loco.  Yes there are some functions that are common f0 and f1 always seem to do the same but thereafter I have some that f2 sounds the horn/whistle and on another it operates the brake - all defined by the individual who put the sound project together.  They will often try to standardise within their own projects and some will try to use the same functions for similar sounds to others but there is no published ‘standard function allocation’. 

if you think about it, it makes sense.  How could you stipulate that f7 say would be firebox opening and shovelling on a project for a diesel or electric loco?  Or that f4 should always be the warning buzzer and doors closing as it is on some class 156 dmu projects.  Flange squeal, to pick another example, is present in some projects but totally absent in others.  This applies to decoders whether produced by the same decoder manufacturer, loco manufacturer or sound project developer.  To produce a spreadsheet covering all the bases would be a huge task. 

I have done one for each of the locos/sound projects I have for my own reference but that would be of little use to anyone else - especially as I have moved some functions around on some locos to achieve some, limited, standardisation. 

Edit:  posted at the same time as Phil above and I thing we are saying basically the same thing.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, peterm1 said:

Same here, John.  All decoders from Digitrains, sound files too. One loco; the DP1 has a Loksound because I couldn't get a decent file for a Zimo. Unless I start it at speed step 1, it won't start smoothly using the acc setting. CV2 is set at 1 and CV3 is at a high figure (can't remember exactly) and should be smoother, but that's another story.

Interesting you say that, I have one Loksound decoder and, when installed, the loco performance was poor on start up.  I discovered Autotune.  At the time I had a very good explanation but can't find it now.  Here is a concise procedure:

"Running Auto Tune

Set CV 54 to the value of 0 (zero) (Load Control Parameter "K")

Leave programming mode.

Press F1.

The locomotive should begin travelling down the track: It will launch at full speed in the last direction of travel, so ensure it will go the right direction before beginning the process."

Pretty alarming to see the loco takeoff, make sure you have enough track, at least 3 ft I recall.  It got my loco running properly.

John

• Like 1

Sadly all the DCC manufacturers fight like rats in a sack with their individual approaches rather than realising that collaborating on some basic standardisation would make DCC as a whole more attractive to the consumer. All very 1990s Apple vs Microsoft. 

The good news is that you can reprogramme all the functions on any modern decoder to your personal preferences. 

I write the list of functions on a piece of A4 paper for reference and then programme them into any throttles, PC or smartphone controller as needed. 

• RMweb Premium

As has been said… it’ll never be ‘complete’. There is no standardisation. You can have a template for yourself, and remap all of your decoders, but that’s just yours. Then you’ll find some projects have 4 different horns, whilst others have more announcements, or bird song, or toilets flushing or whatever. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, brossard said:

Interesting you say that, I have one Loksound decoder and, when installed, the loco performance was poor on start up.  I discovered Autotune.  At the time I had a very good explanation but can't find it now.  Here is a concise procedure:

"Running Auto Tune

Set CV 54 to the value of 0 (zero) (Load Control Parameter "K")

Leave programming mode.

Press F1.

The locomotive should begin travelling down the track: It will launch at full speed in the last direction of travel, so ensure it will go the right direction before beginning the process."

Pretty alarming to see the loco takeoff, make sure you have enough track, at least 3 ft I recall.  It got my loco running properly.

John

I have done that, but I'll try it again. Now to find it amongst the stuff that's laying about at the moment. :-)

• RMweb Premium

Both sound and non-sound decoders can have various numbers of functions which can usually be assigned to whatever function is required. As RTR locos have become more complex in this regard the number of functions on sound decoders has steadily risen, over 30 in a few cases, but no two locos may use them in the same way.

As a result a lot of DCC systems are unable to work with these, some older ones limited to 12 or 20 functions (a few basic ones even less), and the complexity’s of trying to remember each locos individual functions means many users are now favouring glass screen systems of some kind, computer screen, phone, tablet, where the complete number of functions can be displayed at once if desired along with a description of what each one is/does. Not only that but with those such as the Z21 I have recently switched to you can also choose in which order to display them, arrange them to your taste. So it doesn’t matter what Fn number they are, you don’t have to try and remember them or work off a crib sheet, nor messing around re-mapping them to a different order. So enter them once in the order desired and it’s job done. Then just use them.

Oh, and with the best systems you can also set each Fn to be latching or non-latching I.e. switch on/off or momentary push button. 

Bob

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Dare I suggest that after the initial amazement at all the sound functions available on many decoders, that the reality of use is reduced to just the sound of the engine working and the whistle/horn?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have quite a few locos with Zimo sound decoders in them - I have remapped sounds to get them on easily accessible buttons - horns and whistles, brakes, drain cocks, fireman shovelling, blowers and injectors on steam locos -  try to standardise sounds and functions to specific buttons - sound on/off F1, brakes F2, horns and whistles on F3 and F4 and so on…..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

Dare I suggest that after the initial amazement at all the sound functions available on many decoders, that the reality of use is reduced to just the sound of the engine working and the whistle/horn?

I agree.  I remap all my decoders the same way, with F0 & F1 being lights and engine sound as is the UK "norm".  Then comes the horns on F2/F3.  The next 7 functions all relate to "driving" of the model.  From F10 to F21 I have various sound options, with the most useful being first e.g. flange squeal, whistle, doors closing.  Then I map out the lighting options and finally any other options I'll probably never use.

My answer to Chris is that there is no real standard, with each sound provider possibly having their own standard.  The secret for me is to remap all sounds to my standard, which then increases my enjoyment when it comes to operation of my layout.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A few years ago I bought a second-hand Bachmann Ivatt 2-6-2T, (the most recent iteration with the redesigned chassis for DCC-ready, numbered 41291). It came with Olivia,s fitted sound but there was no CV sheet for an Ivatt 2-6-2T enclosed. I do not have any DCC gear aside from a NCE PowerCab run by a DCC Concepts Alpha System, so it was a bit difficult to ascertain the CV functions, but after a bit of work, and via the internet, I found an Olivia's Ivatt 2-6-2T CV function list. Not all the functions on this internet list match with reality, though, but I have managed to find a few. The sound is okay though I cannot get the loco to sound like it is coasting when slowing down. The decoder, I have found out,  is an ESU Loksound v4.0. I mention this in the small chance that someone on here may have just have the correct function list and are agreeable to sending me a copy. Cheers.

23 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

That's definitely often the case! 

I found that moving to a system with icons or text descriptions for the sounds rather than numbers which you had to memorise made a big difference to how often I used other sounds. E.g. App-based controllers like Engine Driver, Hornby HM7000 and Z21 or throttles with icons on the display for sounds like the Piko Smartcontrol Light. 

2 hours ago, NotofthiscenturyTim said:

That's definitely often the case! 

I found that moving to a system with icons or text descriptions for the sounds rather than numbers which you had to memorise made a big difference to how often I used other sounds. E.g. App-based controllers like Engine Driver, Hornby HM7000 and Z21 or throttles with icons on the display for sounds like the Piko Smartcontrol Light. 

I make use of the HM7K decoders 'auto features' to minimise manual key presses.

F28 plays various sounds applicable either to stationary and moving. These sounds are configurable and can be set to sequential or random. Turn it on and the loco plays its own noises.

Auto-calibrate is another handy feature - similar to the procedure detailed above, the decoder is armed by CV, then fired off down the track by F-key. Job done.

• Like 2