Padstow traffic 2024

KDG

As an aside - my local pub here in Bodmin, 'The Hole in the Wall', has just been awarded Cornwall CAMRA 'Winter Pub of the Year', and 'Cornwall Pub of the Year'.

Despite what it says outside, DON'T go expecting food - just superb beers, ciders and wine and bagged snacks.

The building is a former debtor's prison - think Dickens' "Little Dorritt" - and features a windowless bar with a perpetual fire - plus a stuffed lion in an alcove off the courtyard!

Atmosphere - we've got it in wagon-loads here in Cornwall!

CJI.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Rivercider said:

I did see some of the local TV when the proposed service was announced, and found it strange that it seemed as though some folk of a position of influence in Cornwall would rather not receive the investment. 

Perhaps these people see Cornwall as having changed too much already since they grew up or moved there. They fear a once-tranquil county, such as my parents knew and loved when dad was on leave in WW2, becoming even more populous and busy. Too many emmets!

It's about the haves, often incomers, and have-nots, usually locals, even if children of incomers. The latter need commerce and thriving businesses to provide jobs, and better transport links encourage this. The former want the idyll of the poster-Cornwall. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Rivercider said:

I did see some of the local TV when the proposed service was announced, and found it strange that it seemed as though some folk of a position of influence in Cornwall would rather not receive the investment. 

Unfortunately there are some who would rather just plough all inward transport investment into tarmacing over yet more of the Cornish countryside with new road or bypasses.

49 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

... my impression is that some major engineering would be required to build the chord. ...

Both lines approach on tight, steep curves so any chord would have to be a fair way down the hill - outside the town ( which is down the other side of the hill )

1918_06.jpg.51c048b6727781123cc437a30b062e42.jpg

1918_05.jpg.cadeaffe1bd8b21a9a9c50fe0578b2e2.jpg

... you'd have to replace Bodmin General with a station on the chord called Bodmin Parkway ......... oh no, someone's used that name already !

( photos 2/7/11 )

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

... you'd have to replace Bodmin General with a station on the chord called Bodmin Parkway ......... oh no, someone's used that name already !

So Bodmin South Parkway it would have to be. Oddly I had been through the same thought process myself!

2 minutes ago, bécasse said:

So Bodmin South Parkway it would have to be. Oddly I had been through the same thought process myself!

In view of the fact that Bodmin formerly had a BODMIN NORTH station as the terminus of a short branch from Boscarne Junction; (now closed with the station site occupied by Sainsburys); I would suggest that any hypothetical station on the chord would have been named BODMIN SOUTH.

So, Bodmin might have aspired to three stations - NORTH, SOUTH and ROAD!

CJI.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bécasse said:

Erm ........ so Bodmin South Parkway would be north of Bodmin Parkway ...... could be a little confusing for some people - starting with me !

( Bodmin Halgavor ? )

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Erm ........ so Bodmin South Parkway would be north of Bodmin Parkway ...... could be a little confusing for some people - starting with me !

( Bodmin Halgavor ? )

Looking from abroad, I thought that sowing confusion was one of the raisons d'être of the British Rail network of today. I am just glad, despite possessing a silver pass, that I don't actually have to use it.

Ah! Eureka moment! All problems solved!

Line reopened as an electric interurban tramway with street running through Bodmin linking approach to Bodmin General station to the Camel Trail at the erstwhile Bodmin Jail site, and again through Wadebridge and even perhaps at Padstow.

The current preservation group could continue to operate Bodmin General to Boscarne and the Camel Trail could co-exist with the tramway. It doesn't really help the OP although a nice Padstow tram terminal model might be a possibility with HO being perhaps more practical than OO given that most suitable tram models are in that scale.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

How would we get past the Camel Trail / Sustrans people having a hissy fit if we asked for the railway path back?

The former NCDC were on record as saying  that they regarded the Camel Trail as being  an asset with a greater overall benefit than a reinstated railway line  to Padstow would be.

That is obviously quite a long time ago now, but fifteen /twenty years ago there was the most idle of gossip on the matter, and the very vaguest  of remote rumours of a possible "swap" between the Bodmin & Wenford and Network Rail involving the Looe branch being the base of the preserved line and Wessex Trains running a regular Bodmin Parkway > Bodmin service (I kid you not!) 

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, bécasse said:

Looking from abroad, I thought that sowing confusion was one of the raisons d'être of the British Rail network of today. I am just glad, despite possessing a silver pass, that I don't actually have to use it.

I am happy to say my silver pass works just fine whenever I need it, and Sherry finds hers equally useful. Regular trips on GWR and XC during my several visits to the UK each year do just what it says on the tin. Avoiding strike days and blockades only requires minimal planning. 20 years of retirement after 38 years service still seems a bargain in life. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

How would we get past the Camel Trail / Sustrans people having a hissy fit if we asked for the railway path back?

The Bodmin Railway did look at this in the past and proposed that there was enough space for a shared route all the way to Wadebridge with the exception of a couple of bridges where a minor diversion would be required for the cycle path. Sustrans flat refused to even consider the option. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bécasse said:

Ah! Eureka moment! All problems solved!

Line reopened as an electric interurban tramway with street running through Bodmin linking approach to Bodmin General station to the Camel Trail at the erstwhile Bodmin Jail site, and again through Wadebridge and even perhaps at Padstow.

The current preservation group could continue to operate Bodmin General to Boscarne and the Camel Trail could co-exist with the tramway. It doesn't really help the OP although a nice Padstow tram terminal model might be a possibility with HO being perhaps more practical than OO given that most suitable tram models are in that scale.

Have you seen the gradient of the road linking Bodmin General to the site of Bodmin North (start of the Camel Trail)? Something along the lines (!) of the Great Orme Tramway would be required!

There is a reason why the old rail connection between the two was several miles long, with a reversal.

CJI.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Have you seen the gradient of the road linking Bodmin General to the site of Bodmin North ...

Always wondered why the GWR put their station on the top of the hill rather than in the valley to the east - where a connection to 'North' might have been a lot simpler.

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Always wondered why the GWR put their station on the top of the hill rather than in the valley to the east - where a connection to 'North' might have been a lot simpler.

Because the north station was owned by a rival company!

You rather forget the GWR and the LSWR / SR were competing against each other for business and there was no incentive to make through workings easy.

Had the Bodmin & Wedford Railway entered into the ownership of the GWR rather than being bought by the LSWR then things may well have been different…..

11 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Because the north station was owned by a rival company! ... You rather forget the GWR and the LSWR / SR were competing against each other ...

Oddly, I hadn't forgotten that - and I seem to remember that a link WAS created :  a GWR station in the valley ( where the A30 is now ) would have been just as convenient to the townsfolk and easier for God and his Wonderful Railway to work.

27 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Indeed. Wouldn’t have exactly been without precedent - just look at Launceston.

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Bodmin has zero level, or even less steep, approaches - it is built in a valley, which itself has a fairly steep longitudinal gradient.

The Bodmin North branch of the B&WR grabbed the only viable way in, and the GWR mainline is the wrong side of the watershed to get into the town from that direction.

The GWR, being determined to get a link to Padstow, could only do so via a very steeply graded climb into Bodmin, with a reversal at General station high above the town.

It then had to skirt the contours all the way back down again to link up with the B&WR at Boscarne Junction.

A glance at an old OS map of the Bodmin area makes all this clear.

CJI.

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

a GWR station in the valley ( where the A30 is now ) would have been just as convenient to the townsfolk

Rot - look on the OS map at the relative levels of the A30 (180m. AMSL) and General station (100m.).

Which uphill slog would you prefer before the days of motorised transport?

CJI.

• Agree 1