Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The first big Model Railway Exhibition I ever went to...

Although I didn't start attending exhibitions until the start of the 1970's when my interest in railways was reignited and I had a salary. My first "exhibitions" would have been the annual birthday trip to see the Garages (autocorrect for Gamages) layout in the late 1950's.

Edited by MyRule1
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I went to a number of the London exhibitions in the 1970s and early 80s, but the exhibition I remember most clearly was Bristol sometime around 1980, where I saw Castle Rackrent, which is probably the layout that made the biggest impression on me.

• Like 3

On 21/03/2024 at 09:14, Legend said:

Must have been Model Rail Scotland in the MacLellan Galleries maybe 1970 . I say this because I bought the Tri-ang Hornby book of trains and I think it came out in 1969 .  Mesmerising to a wee boy . I remember a large O gauge layout with a wire down centre of track which was the pick up .I remember wondering why that was necessary as my model railway picked up from 2 rails ! Followed on with my Mum taking me to the show in 1973. Nigel MacMillans Campbeltown and Macrihanish layout which was an ingenious narrow gauge layout with two sides depicting different scenes , the harbour and the other side a mine . Then there was the Renfrewshire Model Clubs Elderslie . A huge layout modelling the double junction at Elderslie - special because it was only a 30 min walk from where I lived . From 1974  I was allowed to go myself.   Model Rail Scotland as well as being an excellent show, still evokes all these memories even though it’s been in the Scottish Exhibition Centre since 1990 ?  My poor Mum , feigned interest but must have been bored , but she spent the time because she knew I loved trains . 

My first exhibition too, 1975 or 76, my Dad used to take me.  I remember seeing push-pull 27's and mark 2's and being astounded as these were the trains I saw from my front window (and school windows!)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The first really big exhibition that I remember would be Imrex 1990. I went along on one of the days as a visitor with my Grandad. My father was there helping operate Twickenham MRC's N gauge Ravens Park layout. The following day, I was allowed back to help operate the layout for the day, my first taste of exhibiting, at the age of 12.... The bug's obviously bitten, as i've had a couple of exhibition layouts myself, although none exhibited recently.

• Like 2

My first large show was what is now Model Rail Scotland at the McLellan Galleries in (I think) 1970. The only exhibitor I can recall is the Edinburgh & Lothians MRC and that's because I subsequently joined them and am still a member.

• Like 3

Now you ask, I realise that I have no idea!

Starting with shows in the scout hut opposite infant school, I’ve been going to MR exhibitions under my own steam  “forever”, and if “big” means London, I can’t actually remember when I first went to Central Hall, just thatvitcwascunvomfortably busy, which made seeing things a real difficulty.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

York around 1980, when it was still in the Assembly and De Grey Rooms. I was about 12 and Alan Downes terrified my mum by explaining at length how to abuse a domestic oven by drying sand and soil (as in, straight out of the garden) in it. 

I remember someone showing me a beautiful P4 Princess Arthur of Connaught too, and being grateful that for once my dad didn't join in with "You could do that". He was phenomenally supportive of everything I tried, even when I was completely clueless and out of my depth, but I think even he recognised that this was essentially 1/76 jewellery making. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

My first big show was Bristol when it was in Whiteladys Road towards Clifton.  Mum took all three of us but i was the only one who didnt need lifting up to see the layouts. That really sparked my interest and it was good to exhibit at the Bristol show (Thornbury) just a couple of years ago, around fifty years since that first visit.

I also remember being taken to the Liverpool show around the same time when visiting relatives. I have exhibted at the  Liverpool shows recent venues a few times.

• Like 5

First was Kidderminster around 1980. 

First with anything over 25 layouts was the first Warley NEC show. 

Mrs SM42's first ( both first and largest) would be Ally Pally 2006. 

It was our first date  

Knew she was a keeper after that. 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

York Easter Show in the early 70s. I was hooked on the ‘South Devon’ layouts of Mike Cook - Totnes and Ashburton come to mind. Later, I discovered they were built in York and joined the Castle Railway Circle where my first job was to help the dismantling of Totnes.

Ashburton was refurbished and exhibited at smaller shows, whilst Kingswear  was taken out of storage and reconstructed as the major exhibition layout. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

Nottingham (Bulwell) MRC's exhibition at the Victoria Baths was mine. My late Dad was a member and took me for a few years in succession which really whet my appetite for model railways. I think Dad was helping to operate a finescale GW branch terminus called Rhossilli, which he was very enthusiastic about despite being a dyed in the wool LNER/GN man.

One year he overcame his aversion to diesels and bought me a newly released Lima Class 50 (043 - Eagle in LL blue) for the princely sum of £9.50. I remember it like it was yesterday. Thanks Dad.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Not counting local shows (like Newcastle) it would be York — in 1987 I think, at any rate it was the one year it was held at Spring Bank Holiday instead of Easter (and the weather was colder than it had been at Easter). In the Guildhall, I believe.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

The first Central Hall show I went to was in 1970, but this Daily Telegraph cutting (which I may have posted before) is about the 1973 show. I'm the kid peering in at bottom left:

NMRE73 001.jpg

Edited by 4069
  • Like 5

The first large show I recall was in the Co-Op arts theatre on Broad St in Nottingham so I suspect given the location it may have been organised by the Gee Dee club. 

• Like 1

York in 1976, a day excursion by United Counties aboard a Bristol RE afforded the opportunity for first visits to both the show and the NRM, which was much smaller in those days and could be covered in a few hours.

York is still a big favourite and Preparing for the annual pilgrimage this weekend, it’s hard to believe it’s almost 50 years ago since that first trip and I can count the number of York shows I’ve missed in that time on the fingers of one hand, and only one in the past 33 years.

Looking forward to this years show, thoroughly recommended for a great atmosphere, slightly quirky venue and for those denied conventional retail therapy on Sunday, a great opportunity feed your habit and part with some cash 😉

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Not sure which year but one of the one’s in London. (Central Hall?) With the passage of time I don’t recall much about it other than the crowds around everything being overwhelming for a (then) still primary school youngster.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, john new said:

Not sure which year but one of the one’s in London. (Central Hall?) With the passage of time I don’t recall much about it other than the crowds around everything being overwhelming for a (then) still primary school youngster.

I remember something similar from sometime in the sixties. I seem to recall the smell of meths, so I think the fire and water brigade were there, with a live steam Gauge 1(?) display track. I don't think risk assessments had been invented in those days.

Best wishes

Eric

• Like 3

Yes it was Central Hall for me too. Dad took me once in 1972. Then in 1979 my first visit to the Bristol show at the Victoria Rooms. 

Following a house move and downsizing I have been clearing out a lot of old stuff and found all the old exhibition guides.

I have kept a select few of the old ones.  

Central Hall 1972 included a Gauge One layout, the Glynt Valley Tramway, Milk Wood (brilliant), Ashmelton, South Bedfordshire Locomotive Club, Tramway Layout, Midhants, Bawdsey Branch, Malahide, 

Bristol Victoria Rooms 1979 included, Edenwood, Sevenhampton, Bolton Abbey, Castle Rackrent, Lambourn, Milkwood again! Kingsmouth, 

Happy days,

cheers

• Like 3

I vaguely remember a show at Coventry Central Police Station in the late 1970s. I can't remember much about the layouts, apart from a large scale narrow gauge one with a coach that had fallen into a swamp.

Then another show at Beduth' Civic Hall where a birthday present in the form of an Airfix Prairie was chosen (technically my third loco, although I'm not counting the abomination of a Lima LNER J50 when I wanted a Pannier). Later on I remember going to the combined hobby events in Digbeth halls in Birmingham.

• Like 2