The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Inappropriate advertising on this site

whart57

14 hours ago, AyJay said:

Don’t get me started about Facebook!

Too late….

I’d like to know what madness lies behind their ‘people you may know’ suggestions???

So would I. Facebook recently suggested my niece as a "friend". As she was family I contacted her to explain personally that I don't - ever - sign up people on Facebook as "friends" and she should not see it as a rejection if I didn't. Turns out she hasn't used Facebook for years and she certainly didn't make a friends request.

I now regard friend requests as scam attempts.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Moderators

This topic is symptomatic of something that bugs me.

An accusatory topic was created to which I respond with an acknowledgement which there has been no acknowledgement of from the OP.

This week I have had eight PMs, Contact Us messages and emails asking for advice or assistance to which no acknowledgement or thanks have been returned. I do lodge these upstairs so that next time they won't get a response.

I'm always happy to help and respond, at least once. However, my time is of no lesser value than your own*.

Many people have, and do, reply but there seems to be an increasing number of people these days who don't acknowledge a response to a question they have raised, it's also a work environment thing and the lack of courtesy really does grate with me.

* I am guilty of a number things I haven't had chance to reply to that require a bit more time for a proper response but they're not things where someone has a problem.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
On 24/03/2024 at 09:14, jcm@gwr said:

What these 'pushy' adverts do, is actually the reverse, they create 'negative advertising',

anything that is forced on me in this manner is immediately ignored, and even if I want

what they are pushing, I'll seek out a different supplier!

Just as annoying are those suppliers that you have purchased from, even a small cheap item. Yet they hound you to 'rate their service'. All they actually did, was pop an item in a small bag and stick a label on, yet they want you to spend more time answering their survey, than they did with your package.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Just as annoying are those suppliers that you have purchased from, even a small cheap item. Yet they hound you to 'rate their service'. All they actually did, was pop an item in a small bag and stick a label on, yet they want you to spend more time answering their survey, than they did with your package.

Or rate before using, spent a lot on leather refinishing stuff, can't use as too cold and wet, get hounded to review.

I will review once i have done the first seat.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

An accusatory topic was created to which I respond with an acknowledgement which there has been no acknowledgement of from the OP.

This week I have had eight PMs, Contact Us messages and emails asking for advice or assistance to which no acknowledgement or thanks have been returned. I do lodge these upstairs so that next time they won't get a response.

I'm always happy to help and respond, at least once. However, my time is of no lesser value than your own*.

Many people have, and do, reply but there seems to be an increasing number of people these days who don't acknowledge a response to a question they have raised, it's also a work environment thing and the lack of courtesy really does grate with me.

* I am guilty of a number things I haven't had chance to reply to that require a bit more time for a proper response but they're not things where someone has a problem.

Hi Andy,

I’ve noticed this trend too, especially with the younger 15 second attention span generation.

I rent accommodation to two individuals, one is a young mid 20 year old lad, a primary school teacher. Nice enough chap, but never thanks you or has time to even acknowledge your presence. I gave both lodgers a small gift at Christmas, got a ‘thank you’ message from one, but not the teacher, even though I see him every week. In previous years, others who rented of similar age would text me a question on where they might find a dentist ASAP, or other request for information. I would always try to give a comprehensive reply but rarely receive an acknowledgement, never mind a thanks.

I believe it is the TikTok / YouTube Shorts generation, if it’s more than 15 seconds long they lose interest and swipe. Don’t have time for social interaction (or manners it seems). Regrettably I even recognise this condition in my teenage daughter, who tells me I explain too much when she asks a question, normally interrupting me before I’ve even finished the sentence.

• Friendly/supportive 8

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

Regrettably I even recognise this condition in my teenage daughter, who tells me I explain too much when she asks a question,

= I don't want your excess information, I only want what I want. When I need the rest I will ask at my convenience. 🙄

Which then leads to the selfish ignorance of local Facebook groups where everything from "when's the next bus?" through to "who is the best builder?" questions occur ad nauseum rather than researching anything. I don't think they're doing anything more important with the rest of their time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Hi,

You asked me to report if it was happening again and send you a screenshot. The reason I haven't got back to you yet is that for some reason I only get that advert when I go on to rmweb from my smartphone. I get the same videos of model railways on my computer but without that ad, though I do get others that I would classify as acceptably generic advertising. The problem is that I'm not so smart on my smartphone and I don't know how to take a screenshot.

It might be something in the settings being different, but as regards browsing history, my smartphone browsing is pretty straightforward - rmweb, the Isthmian League website and the Guardian newspaper. Other apps I use regularly Network Rail's timetables and Google Maps. Occasionally I look things up using DuckDuckGo, but they are all one offs. My computer browsing is more eclectic, I view all of those plus Amazon, many other model shops on line, Screwfix, M&S and other clothes shops plus other social media websites. So make of that what you will.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 minutes ago, whart57 said:

Hi,

You asked me to report if it was happening again and send you a screenshot. The reason I haven't got back to you yet is that for some reason I only get that advert when I go on to rmweb from my smartphone. I get the same videos of model railways on my computer but without that ad, though I do get others that I would classify as acceptably generic advertising. The problem is that I'm not so smart on my smartphone and I don't know how to take a screenshot.

It might be something in the settings being different, but as regards browsing history, my smartphone browsing is pretty straightforward - rmweb, the Isthmian League website and the Guardian newspaper. Other apps I use regularly Network Rail's timetables and Google Maps. Occasionally I look things up using DuckDuckGo, but they are all one offs. My computer browsing is more eclectic, I view all of those plus Amazon, many other model shops on line, Screwfix, M&S and other clothes shops plus other social media websites. So make of that what you will.

If you use the same emails to sign in to the phone and computer then they will be linked I'm afraid.

I hardly use my phone for anything yet if I go on YouTube then the videos I watched on my computer are on there. For clarity I'm not signed into YouTube at the time.

Also be careful of people "tethering" to you. My brother did it by accident and now he gets half of my stuff!

TLDR. If you've visited a website on one device then your other devices probably knows about it.

Regular clearance of cookies and history is the way to go. Should get rid of most of it.

Jason

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Damo666 said:

Hi Andy,

...snip... Regrettably I even recognise this condition in my teenage daughter, who tells me I explain too much when she asks a question, normally interrupting me before I’ve even finished the sentence.

The next time she asks, just tell to look it up on-line.

• Funny 4