shell class b TTA wagons on Buxton depot

Mainly fuel oil, with the odd one of lubricating oil, depending on the period class A and B would be used for the same commodities.

Yes these tanks were for depot supplies, possibly the premises themselves were oil heated too.  I don't have adequate local knowledge, but certainly loco fuel was tripped in by rail. 

Out of interest, can anyone confirm my supposition that the tanks were brought in the long way round via Peak Forest, only I can't imagine a trip down the DMU route as late as 1990. I'd love to be proved wrong!

17 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

I wonder how long it would take for the depot to get through 45 tons of lubricating oil ??!?

Not very long, at the depot I first worked we had a delivery of one tanker a fortnight. This was usually off loaded in to the depots storage tank. Any that was left in a tank would be left until that amount could be off loaded. With fuel once the storage tanks reached a certain level unloading would stop and those rail tanks would wait till the level dropped so they could be off loaded, it was unusual to see full tanks stood for a couple of days awaiting to be off loaded. A check was always kept on stocks off oil and fuel so when running low due to extra demand extra would be order via the system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Back in the 60s it was Esso that supplied Buxton, contracts did change some more frequently than others. 6.JPG.e712c62699fa7e0599e6ce33e3ccffee.JPG

For those interested in depot storage tanks, each region had their own ideas and many locations within the region would have similar equipment.

I started to draw the tanks at Buxton for someone who used them as they were for a LMR depot.

EdgeHilltanks2.png.697f1d65a472cc7e66e40b9534472015.png

edgehilltanksbescot.png.82c4c3c232b1d3d6406ef2e1b15b9c82.png

EdgeHilltanksrm.png.a41aa119f09bf68d98d96827809a11f0.png

• Thanks 1

On 23/03/2024 at 09:19, 'CHARD said:

Yes these tanks were for depot supplies, possibly the premises themselves were oil heated too.  I don't have adequate local knowledge, but certainly loco fuel was tripped in by rail. 

Out of interest, can anyone confirm my supposition that the tanks were brought in the long way round via Peak Forest, only I can't imagine a trip down the DMU route as late as 1990. I'd love to be proved wrong!

...in the mid 80s the Ashburys to Dowlow trip (via Chinley) conveyed any loaded tanks for the TMD as far as Buxton URS, ready for a shunt across onto the TMD, empties returning similarly. From the late 1980s this working became the Warrington Arpley to Dowlow via a similar route and continued to convey loaded tanks to/empty tanks away from Buxton.

Gas Oil and some white diesel arrived this way, as well as some Lube Oil. I have no knowledge re kerosene.

BeRTIe

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

50 minutes ago, BR traction instructor said:

...in the mid 80s the Ashburys to Dowlow trip (via Chinley) conveyed any loaded tanks for the TMD as far as Buxton URS, ready for a shunt across onto the TMD, empties returning similarly. From the late 1980s this working became the Warrington Arpley to Dowlow via a similar route and continued to convey loaded tanks to/empty tanks away from Buxton.

Gas Oil and some white diesel arrived this way, as well as some Lube Oil. I have no knowledge re kerosene.

BeRTIe

when looking though photos i checked the hazchem sign on the tank it had 3Y 1223 which is keosene

9 minutes ago, BR traction instructor said:

...wonder whether lamp oil for the semaphores arrived as this or whether heaters in the various buildings made use of this?

BeRTIe

heaters would be my thought  

1 minute ago, darren chpamn said:

heaters would be my thought  

Lamp oil was usually in 45 gallon drums. Depot heating was normally gas oil, some depots did use waste oil. 

Kerosene/paraffin was used for cleaning components at some depots, but once again usually came in 45 gallon drums.  Larger steam depots did have tanks of paraffin which was used in conjunction with other mediums for cleaning purposes.

It was unusual to see a tank or tanks arrive with the wrong Hazchem board on them, we had this happen at NL when several tank had been emptied in to the depot storage tanks only to find that it was Lub oil, some very smoky HSTs that night.

2 hours ago, 45125 said:

Lamp oil was usually in 45 gallon drums. Depot heating was normally gas oil, some depots did use waste oil. 

Kerosene/paraffin was used for cleaning components at some depots, but once again usually came in 45 gallon drums.  Larger steam depots did have tanks of paraffin which was used in conjunction with other mediums for cleaning purposes.

It was unusual to see a tank or tanks arrive with the wrong Hazchem board on them, we had this happen at NL when several tank had been emptied in to the depot storage tanks only to find that it was Lub oil, some very smoky HSTs that night.

yes would be very dangerous to have the wrong hazchem signs on as it the only way emergency services know what they are dealing with and how to deal with it