American railroad colour paints

Not to surprisingly, there are very few American rail paint colours available in Europe.

This leads me to ask how other American modellers get the correct paint for there models.

Mostly for airbrush, would like the option for brushing.

Are there some colour charts for comparison?

Have you managed to get some paint mixed somewhere? 

Is there a guide on blending hobby paints?

Edited by Smalltrainsgreatpains
error

Ammo Mig do a large range of colours, for brushing and spraying, I have always found the colour I am looking for, even if it is not labelled as a specific railroad colour, a little mixing will produce any colour you wish, have found their Solution Boxes with instructions to be very help full for weathering.

Edited by fulton
spelling

I have some Tru-Colour on the way, but I couldn't see any 213 1930-60's Frt. Car Brown.

I hear they are excellent, but they do cost a lot,  I would be glad to find alternatives.

It's currently the Milw colours I am after, and steam engine colours.    

I'll take the orange out to match later.  There were two oranges apparently, so maybe I'll be able to find the other one.  

Photographs do seem to vary, especially as the quality of the film used differs.  

If I blend some colours I will put them on the list.

I think it is more important to get the quality even across all the models as a standard than perhaps the exact colour, then nothing will look out of place :D 

I have everything to learn about the qualities of paint and mixing.

On 07/04/2024 at 08:55, Smalltrainsgreatpains said:

I have some Tru-Colour on the way, but I couldn't see any 213 1930-60's Frt. Car Brown.

I hear they are excellent, but they do cost a lot,  I would be glad to find alternatives.

It's currently the Milw colours I am after, and steam engine colours.    

I'll take the orange out to match later.  There were two oranges apparently, so maybe I'll be able to find the other one.  

Photographs do seem to vary, especially as the quality of the film used differs.  

If I blend some colours I will put them on the list.

I think it is more important to get the quality even across all the models as a standard than perhaps the exact colour, then nothing will look out of place :D 

I have everything to learn about the qualities of paint and mixing.

If you need help in getting the correct(or close to correct as possible) railroad colors, here is the Internet link from the Model Railroad Hobbyist forum that will guide you to download the railroad color chart:

https://mrhmag.com/subscribers-only/painting/acrylics

Wendell

Idaho, USA

Edited by Wendell1976

• RMweb Premium
On 10/04/2024 at 02:21, Wendell1976 said:

If you need help in getting the correct(or close to correct as possible) railroad colors, here is the Internet link from the Model Railroad Hobbyist forum that will guide you to download the railroad color chart:

https://mrhmag.com/subscribers-only/painting/acrylics

Wendell

Idaho, USA

Unfortunately that link is for subscribers only.

On the subject of paint, does anyone have a suggestion for UK available rattle can (e.g. Tamiya or Humbrol) that is a decent match for Conrail blue please?

2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

On the subject of paint, does anyone have a suggestion for UK available rattle can (e.g. Tamiya or Humbrol) that is a decent match for Conrail blue please?

The guide is quite dated and references ModelMaster paints which have been phased out.

However its worth signing up to the forum if modelling North American outline, there is a wealth of information on it

Edited by YT-1300

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Not tried it, but I would think citadel paints "ultramarine blue" would be a match. Tamiya ts15 spray might also be close.

Edited by simon b
  • Thanks 1

Here's a document that gives the equivalents for the discontinued Floquil line of paints. Not all are single colours - some require mixing of replacement paints. There are both single colours and mixes shown for Conrail blue:

https://www.testors.com/~/media/DigitalEncyclopedia/Documents/Testors/ebook/MRH-Acrylic-painting-guide-post-Floquil-Portrait.ashx

(Conrail blue appears on the 20th page of the document.)

Edited by pH
  • Thanks 1

I found this a useful information:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=46475.msg618871#msg618871

Works for me:

SP Daylight Orange  (close)            Humbrol 46 (also Railfreight Red?!?)
ATSF/FEC/L&N Blue (close)            RAL5002: Revell 161 
PC Green (close)                              Revell 365
BN  Green (close)                             Revell 364
UP Yellow                                          RAL 1028

Oh, by the way

Has anyone hints for BR Rail Freight colors (Humbrol/Revell) ?

RF gray?

RF Red?

RF light /medium/ dark gray?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/04/2024 at 10:02, John M Upton said:

I am sorry. I should have said that it is free to be a subscriber to the Model Railroad Hobbyist forum.

Wendell

Idaho, USA

Edited by Wendell1976

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 12/04/2024 at 21:01, U36B said:

Oh, by the way

Has anyone hints for BR Rail Freight colors (Humbrol/Revell) ?

RF gray?

RF Red?

RF light /medium/ dark gray?

Bit off topic here but for Railfreight red I have always used Humbrol 174 (which is also the paint I use for SP bloody nose red which gets it back on topic again!)  Avoid whatever the strange concoction that Railmatch call Railfreight Red, for that matter avoid anything made by Railmatch as their paint is pretty universally crap...

Edited by John M Upton
  • Thanks 1

Modelmaster may have been discontinued but Creative Models still have a fair few in stock. I recently stocked up on Insignia Blue for my Santa Fe Loco's but they were out of Blue Angels Yellow already. Hopefully these enamel paints, unopened, will last as well as Humbrol - I've opened some of these after 40 years or so and found the paint was good to go!

I really don't understand Testors business approach.  They bought Floquil oil based US RR paints and subsequently discontinued them.  They had a hand in an acrylic range and replaced them with Model Master Acryl which were generally good.  Now they've discontinued all the larger bottles of both enamels and acrylics, and the Model Master name.  Now there are just tiny enamel and acrylic bottles in sets.

I have quite a lot left but for new have adopted Vallejo, Citadel and Modelflex.

On 22/04/2024 at 12:11, John M Upton said:

for that matter avoid anything made by Railmatch as their paint is pretty universally crap...

Glad I wasn't the only one who thinks that!! Their enamels were a very thin pigment, held in a very thick medium. Awful stuff!! 

• Like 1

As has been pointed out on here to my surprise, Mech models have/can get on order Badger rail colours.  I picked up a 1709 Midwestern railroads set, which also has CNW colours. My main concern was being able to order more individual colours, rather than buying the whole set again.  Should do for small scales for a while, but not so economical for larger scales.