Will's Ancient Wagons

CWJ

I'm taking a brief break from building the layout in my garage to build four plastic wagon kits for a friend...

post-9324-127919183459_thumb.jpg

... the only thing that concerns me is that some of them are pretty ancient! Experience with plastic kits of this age tells me that they can be brittle, warped or otherwise damaged - although these examples look in good condition. I don't believe MAJ models are still in production, but Dapol has continued the Airfix range and I think Cooper Craft still produce the GWR van.

In case the photo is unclear, the models are:

1. Airfix 'Esso' tank wagon

2. Dapol 'Prestwin' powder hopper wagon

3. Cooper Craft GWR cattle wagon

4. MAJ Models LMS single plank open wagon

All but the last model have plastic wheels so I'll be replacing these with new metal ones in brass bearings, but my friend hasn't requested any other enhancements so the kits will be built according to the instructions.

Wish me luck!

Cheers,

Will

Typically the Airfix kits remain pretty good for long periods - they used a higher quality plastic and the moulds weren't as worn. They are certainly better than the Dapol equivalents.

The Cooper Craft kits also age well. I've got kits of that vintage that are just fine. Be careful of the fine bars across the openings when building the cattle wagon.

The MAJ kits I have (coaches) use a plastic that doesn't age well - I've had bonding issues and I've had the plastic delaminate (well peel apart, since there aren't really any laminations).

The Dapol kit should also be fine, if not as crisp as the Airfix or Cooper Craft ones.

Adrian

The first wagon was completed in an evening (one of the benefits of plastic kits) - the Airfix oil tanker. As mentioned before, I found some metal wheelsets for it, and inserted brass bearings into the existing holes in the axlebox. I widened these holes to take the bearings but in retrospect I should have also made them deeper, as the frames have had to be slightly splayed out to incorporate the wheelsets.

post-9324-127919336665_thumb.jpg

This photo also shows the plastic wheels supplied with the kit and the metal replacements. How anyone can be expected to make the plastic wheels run true when they come in two halves, I don't know!

A couple of pleasant hours were spent assembling the rest of the kit using Humbrol liquid cement. All the parts fit well together as long as one's prepared to do a little trimming here and there with a knife and file. I can strongly recommend kits like this to anyone who has never built their own rolling stock - they're dead easy and very satisfying.

I'm not sure how old this particular kit is, but it was in good condition. The plastic was quite a soft variety, and the mouldings aren't as sharp as modern RTR stock, but it still builds up into a nice model. For realism you might want to add etched brass ladders, turned metal buffers and finer brake gear. The brake equipment supplied is limited to the vacuum cylinders, brake hangers and levers - there are cross-bars or linkages.

Needless to say, the tank, which is made of two sides and two end caps, needs to be assembled carefully so the joints are less visible. Some filing was necessary to make this look tidy. Finally, a scrap of lead flashing was shaped to the curvature of the tank and secured inside with contact adhesive.

post-9324-127919347757_thumb.jpg

The model will be painted later in the simple black livery, but unfortunately this kit was missing the transfers which are normally supplied. Being too stingy to look for alternative suppliers, I'm having a go at printing my own transfers - more on this later.

Cheers,

Will

The Dapol kit should also be fine, if not as crisp as the Airfix or Cooper Craft ones.

Thanks for the super-quick reply Adrian! Funnily enough, the Dapol Prestwin looks a much sharper moulding than the Airfix tanker, although the plastic isn't as strong and many of the small parts have come away from the sprue. Maybe the Prestwin is a more recent design than the tanker, and the level of detail had been improved.

Being too stingy to look for alternative suppliers, I'm having a go at printing my own transfers - more on this later.

Stingy maybe ;) but it depends how you value your time. I can recommend the Modelmasters P707 sheet http://www.modelmasterdecals.com/POW4mm_Tank.php?PHPSESSID=d6c6efda94d50b17133c996c218119b2 if you do want an alternative.

Good luck with the Prestwin, I binned one of the Dapol ones as unworkable but the older Airfix kit's still very good - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/1/entry-3019-prestwin-dear-packer-no-57/

Stingy maybe ;) but it depends how you value your time. I can recommend the Modelmasters P707 sheet http://www.modelmast...33c996c218119b2 if you do want an alternative.

Good luck with the Prestwin, I binned one of the Dapol ones as unworkable but the older Airfix kit's still very good - http://www.rmweb.co....r-packer-no-57/

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the tip - I know what you mean, if I mess the wagon up with my own transfers it will be frustrating, but at the same time the Modelmaster transfers cost about the same as the wagon kit, which doesn't seem quite right somehow!

I'm about to add a few notes on the Prestwin - the detail looks sharper and finer than the Esso tanker but the plastic was brittle and the hopper/tank parts didn't fit together perfectly so many happy hours of filing were needed.

Cheers,

Will

My second wagon is the Dapol 'Prestwin' kit. While the detail appeared to be finer than that on the Esso tank wagon, the plastic was more brittle and several of the smaller components needed to be repaired before the kit could be assembled.

post-9324-127940457843_thumb.jpg

I have temporarily fitted the plastic wheels supplied; they will be replaced with metal ones later. The main issue with this kit is that the two hoppers are made up of several component parts and the joints need to be smoothly blended together. This is fine around the ends of the vehicle, but difficult in the middle where the pipework detail prevents access.

Again, if more accuracy is required, the chunky plastic ladders could be replaced with etched alternatives and some of the pipework replaced with finer wire. However, bear in mind that this close-up photo is quite cruel and from normal viewing distance the wagon looks OK.

Next I tackled the Cooper Craft GWR cattle wagon. The detail on this kit was much better than the Airfix/Dapol wagons, but again the rather brittle plastic made it impossible to remove some of the finest parts from the sprue without damage.

The first casualties of my clumsiness were the fine horizontal bars across the upper section of the body sides. I replaced the main sections with brass wire, leaving the original (undamaged) plastic bars across the doors.

post-9324-127940562271_thumb.jpg

A blind hole was drilled in the inside of the wagon ends (before assembly) and a small slot carefully cut in the back of the central vertical struts on the sides, to take the 0.33mm brass wire.

post-9324-127940566177_thumb.jpg

It was a fiddly job, but the result is finer and straighter bars. For additional strength at the top of the body (which is understandably quite a flimsy structure) I added a 'false ceiling' piece between the doors. A short partition wall is supplied with the kit which is intended to separate cattle within the wagon - not being too bothered about the accuracy of the interior I used this partition wall as the strengthening piece.

post-9324-127940570752_thumb.jpg

The solebars were not quite long enough so I added a small piece of packing from scrap plastic strip at one end of each. This isn't completely convincing but it hides the gap.

post-9324-127940575013_thumb.jpg

The brake blocks are commendably close to the wheel treads with this model, and very easy to line up accurately. The 3-hole wheels will be replaced with the correct spoked variety when I next visit the model shop. As with the other wagons, brass bearings have been fitted.

More updates to follow... I need to complete the detailing and roof of this wagon and then make a start on the LMS/L&Y single-planker. After which, painting of all four will be carried out.

Please feel free to comment - any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Will

The Airfix 'Esso' tanker was one of their earliest 00 wagon kits (and was very 'modern image' at the time) while the Prestwin was one of their last and standards of detail had risen between them. The box for your tanker is the version which was used in the mid-1970s when the 'limited edition' branded boxes came in so must be about 30 to 35 years old. I've got spare transfers if you need them. The Airfix Prestwins were moulded in a nice bauxite colour plastic and the plastic used was definitely much better than Dapol's.

The Airfix 'Esso' tanker was one of their earliest 00 wagon kits (and was very 'modern image' at the time) while the Prestwin was one of their last and standards of detail had risen between them. The box for your tanker is the version which was used in the mid-1970s when the 'limited edition' branded boxes came in so must be about 30 to 35 years old. I've got spare transfers if you need them. The Airfix Prestwins were moulded in a nice bauxite colour plastic and the plastic used was definitely much better than Dapol's.

Thanks for the information Bernard - and I might have to take you up on the offer of transfers! Let's see how my home-grown ones turn out first...

Next up is the my final wagon in this batch, the Lancashire & Yorkshire single-plank wagon (which would look just right behind the lovely little engine on my avatar photo). This is probably my favourite of the four kits, being accurately moulded and finely detailed - check out the 'LYR' on the axleboxes and the cast iron notice on the bodysides! It's the only one to include metal wheels, bearings and buffer heads, exploded-diagram instructions and full brake rigging - although I expect all this was reflected in the original price of the kit compared with the others.

post-9324-127955455604_thumb.jpg

The assembly went well, although the instructions were complicated by the various options (i.e. 12' or 10'6" wheelbase, vacuum brake fitted or not fitted). There's a big blob of glue on the side of the wagon but I was using 'liquid poly' cement so hopefully it won't be visible under a couple of coats of paint. Why do photographs seem to enlarge all the mistakes but hide the good bits?

post-9324-12795545709_thumb.jpg

You can just make out the brass rod I used to replace the brake shaft across the centre of the wagon - this adds some much-needed strength to the other plastic brake components.

I will be painting the Esso tanker in the usual black livery and the other wagons in BR Bauxite (I have built them all as vacuum-fitted to standardise the livery). The benefit of this colour is that it red oxide primer makes the perfect undercoat - so yesterday I primed all four wagons using a Halfords aerosol. Halfords' gloss black was then applied to the Esso tanker ready for transfers, and the other three wagons were brush-painted in BR bauxite from Railmatch. I own an airbrush but not a compressor, and I've never taken the plunge and used it yet. In any case, these wagons don't really have enough smooth surfaces to give the benefit of a sprayed finish.

I'll pop some photos up on here when they're finished.

Cheers,

Will

The assembly went well, although the instructions were complicated by the various options (i.e. 12' or 10'6" wheelbase, vacuum brake fitted or not fitted). There's a big blob of glue on the side of the wagon but I was using 'liquid poly' cement so hopefully it won't be visible under a couple of coats of paint. Why do photographs seem to enlarge all the mistakes but hide the good bits?

Definitely the best kit of the four as far as detail is concerned - all the rivets nicely picked out - the only thing that spoils it is those horrible tension lock couplers.

Definitely the best kit of the four as far as detail is concerned - all the rivets nicely picked out - the only thing that spoils it is those horrible tension lock couplers.

I agree... but that's what was specified by the 'customer' smile.gif I've tried to use the most unobtrusive type.

My favourite bit of detail is the 'LOAD TO BE EVENLY DISTRIBUTED' notice and the builder's plate. Such things should be included in all plastic kits since you can't buy them seperately (two-dimensional transfers exculded). Even the latest RTR steam locos have a very basic oval blob to represent the builder's plate, water capacity plate, etc.

I loved the MAJ kits when I was a 4mm modeller and still think their loss is a very sad one. I always found them easy to build and a decent representation of the prototype and still remember my joy at discovering the complexity of the L&Y brake gear arrangements. Complex and yet with MAJ very easy to put together.

The benefit of this colour is that it red oxide primer makes the perfect undercoat

If you've used Halfords red oxide primer I wouldn't bother painting BR Bauxite over it - it's a pretty good match as it is.

I loved the MAJ kits when I was a 4mm modeller and still think their loss is a very sad one.

Whatever, did happen to them?

Did the moulds simply get trashed or did they get passed on to another?

I've not seen any on the s/h market or elsewhere - so I guess from the quality of this one that they are either cherished unopened in a collection or hen's teeth.

Whatever, did happen to them?

Did the moulds simply get trashed or did they get passed on to another?

I've not seen any on the s/h market or elsewhere - so I guess from the quality of this one that they are either cherished unopened in a collection or hen's teeth.

What I have been told by the owner of the moulds, that the body moulds were at a third party site to have work done on them, and the person who was going to do the work fell down and broke his leg, and stoped paying the rent on the building and the bayleafs came in and cleared it out as scrap. The chasies are still about.

What I have been told by the owner of the moulds, that the body moulds were at a third party site to have work done on them, and the person who was going to do the work fell down and broke his leg, and stoped paying the rent on the building and the bayleafs came in and cleared it out as scrap. The chasies are still about.

Thanks, that is a shame - I guess the range wasn't that great numerically - still any loss of a good kit is a loss if it is not replaced by someone. Bet he was gutted at the loss?

It's the only one to include metal wheels, bearings and buffer heads, exploded-diagram instructions and full brake rigging - although I expect all this was reflected in the original price of the kit compared with the others.

Cheers,

Will

I have got one header card priced at £2.00 so I don't think they were over priced.

I got some of the kits on the last day before the original owner sold them to the current owner. The only main problem were the groves for the planks were raised up not recesed as they should have been.

Thanks for all the comments chaps! I hope to add some updated photos later but in the meantime but first...

If you've used Halfords red oxide primer I wouldn't bother painting BR Bauxite over it - it's a pretty good match as it is.

Too late James! Railmatch Bauxite is a little browner than Halfords' Red Oxide, but it would probably look very similar under a bit of weathering, so thanks for the tip. It would certainly save some time and effort if a couple of coats of primer were all that's required... What do other people think? Is red oxide close enough to Bauxite?

Those axleboxes can't be prototypical sticking out like that can they? MAJ seemed to be out at a time when a few companies did a small range of plastic kits and then all disappeared.

I'm not sure; they do look a bit on the long side but you never know with these pre-grouping vehicles - they can be very different to more recent 'standardised' components. Maybe the axleboxes are correct but the springs are a bit 'flat'? If I was trying to create a scale model to the best of my ability I'd look into it, but I'm just assembling them for a friend who I don't think will mind. Thanks for the comment Craig, I've enjoyed reading about your impressive wagon-building!

Crikey, that's exciting... if they made a dramatic soap opera about railway modellers, that's the kind of storyline you'd get.

I have got one header card priced at £2.00 so I don't think they were over priced.

I got some of the kits on the last day before the original owner sold them to the current owner. The only main problem were the groves for the planks were raised up not recesed as they should have been.

If only we could buy wagon kits for £2.00 now, eh? :) The grooves on my planks were so small I couldn't tell whether they were raised or lowered. In fact they might not even be visible under a coat of paint... maybe I should have scribed them first.

Thanks again for reading and commenting; I have been concerned that the new RMWeb doesn't seem to attract as great a readership as the previous version, so it's good to see it flourishing, even on my amateur thread!

Cheers,

Will

I find the story of their loss quite heartbreaking - I wondered what had happened to them.

They were dirt cheap - or excellent value for money, however you like to put it - even when purchased from Mr Norman Wisenden, may he rest in peace, who was not noted for his discounts, but did brew a good cup of tea and had a wonderful stock of the things.

I'm not sure; they do look a bit on the long side but you never know with these pre-grouping vehicles - they can be very different to more recent 'standardised' components. Maybe the axleboxes are correct but the springs are a bit 'flat'? If I was trying to create a scale model to the best of my ability I'd look into it, but I'm just assembling them for a friend who I don't think will mind. Thanks for the comment Craig, I've enjoyed reading about your impressive wagon-building!

Cheers,

Will

The springs look about scale width against the overwidth w-iron. Its possible the journals were slightly extended but it does seem odd, will have to see if anyone published a book on L&Y stock as the club layout is set in ex- L&Y territory anyway. I realised you were building them for a friend 'as is' rather than detailing etc but was just curious about kit vs prototype there.

Thanks for the comment on my wagons, i've held off posting finished pictures of stuff as they are appearing elsewhere.

Raised panel lines were very much in vogue at the time on plane kits too though Airfix did that until they recently went bust!

Rmweb is a bit quieter at the moment with lots of people off enjoying hols I think.

.... For additional strength at the top of the body (which is understandably quite a flimsy structure) I added a 'false ceiling' piece between the doors. A short partition wall is supplied with the kit which is intended to separate cattle within the wagon .......

I think you will find its to reduce the area in which the number of cattle are carried, thus making a Large, Medium or Small Cattle Wagon, dependent on the quantity of cattle, not to separate them.

Too late James! Railmatch Bauxite is a little browner than Halfords' Red Oxide, but it would probably look very similar under a bit of weathering, so thanks for the tip. It would certainly save some time and effort if a couple of coats of primer were all that's required... What do other people think? Is red oxide close enough to Bauxite?

You want variety across the wagons so I'd add Humbrol 133 (I think that's the number) - this I'm told is bauxite from their old railway range.

The springs look about scale width against the overwidth w-iron. Its possible the journals were slightly extended but it does seem odd, will have to see if anyone published a book on L&Y stock as the club layout is set in ex- L&Y territory anyway. I realised you were building them for a friend 'as is' rather than detailing etc but was just curious about kit vs prototype there.

Thanks for the comment on my wagons, i've held off posting finished pictures of stuff as they are appearing elsewhere.

Raised panel lines were very much in vogue at the time on plane kits too though Airfix did that until they recently went bust!

Rmweb is a bit quieter at the moment with lots of people off enjoying hols I think.

For a book try L & Y Rly Society, LYR FOCUS No.2, Winter 2000. Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Wagon Diagrams. ISBN 1460-9894

Lots of diagrams and most have photo's to accompany them, pages 13 &15 have photo,s which show the axleboxes and they are indeed quite deep.

I bought a lot of these kits and built them when Sheila Hames model shop closed in Derby many years ago and was impressed with the detail, particularly the brake gear. I even won a wagon competition at a Nottingham show with the roof door van. I believe that someone else brought out some other bodies which were supplied with the MAJ chassis as I built some of those too, Colin Ashby comes to mind but I'm not sure.

I still have the models but am steeling myself to sell them in the future as I no longer have a layout of my own to run them on, just can't decide what they are worth to me compared with what I can ask for them. A pretty normal problem I would think

Regards

Phil Traxson

Archived