The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Do they talk to each other?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

As for wasting their time in relation for them wasting yours, that really is cutting off your nose to spite your face.  Just hang up.

Nothing's a waste of time if you don't mind doing it. Some people will enjoy stringing the scammers along. Personally I just hang up, but I can see the amusement in keeping them going.

Personally I think we all need to worry less about saving and wasting time, but that's a separate discussion.

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Nothing's a waste of time if you don't mind doing it. Some people will enjoy stringing the scammers along. Personally I just hang up, but I can see the amusement in keeping them going.

Personally I think we all need to worry less about saving and wasting time, but that's a separate discussion.

Plenty of posts on RMweb from people that spend a lot of time on the finest details of their models, others couldn't care less, as long as it rattles and roars along the track, without falling off TOO often!

Others could move blocks of wood around, as long as they run to time!

It's a very broad hobby.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, 60021 Pen-y-Ghent said:

I had a call from a chap who wanted to sell me a new driveway (presumably resurfacing my existing one). He asked me if I still had a driveway (what?) so I told him no I hadn't because I'd dug it up and sold it.

A bit like the one that was floating around a few years ago where the callee spends quite some time going through with the caller speccing up a fully equipped, top of the range conservatory with all the trimmings, only to get to the point of being ready to place the final order and dropping in: 

"So, how exactly do you fit a conservatory to a third-floor flat anyway?"

• Funny 8

53 minutes ago, 60021 Pen-y-Ghent said:

I had a call from a chap who wanted to sell me a new driveway (presumably resurfacing my existing one). He asked me if I still had a driveway (what?) so I told him no I hadn't because I'd dug it up and sold it.

If he's got a lorryload of spare tarmac he's probably the chap being paid by the council to mend the potholes.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Chris or Jo or Sam aren’t even having their time wasted by giving daft answers. They are machine responses not minimum wage humans. Don’t ever answer any query with yes or no, as really criminal types will attempt to use that recording as permisssion to do something. Many of the energy consultants are definitely robots not human script followers. The response to the flippant answer usually starts the process off again. My wife says I should just hang up but I am curious to know how the logic works. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Once gave a double glazing salesman both my landlord's representative and my landlord's contact details.

I am sure both the Home Secretary and HM Queen Elizabeth welcomed the brochures, never did fit double glazing  to my quarters though. 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

If he's got a lorryload of spare tarmac he's probably the chap being paid by the council to mend the potholes.

Almost true.

40 years ago, the local council had the privilege of employing me.  We had a parking area at work resurfaced, and there was more on the lorry than they needed.  That evening, chatting to my father, he mentioned that someone had turned up late that afternoon with some spare tarmac, and did he want his parking area doing.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium
On 11/04/2024 at 20:39, melmerby said:

Hi all

Today I had a leaflet through the door from "EE (Powered by BT)" , inviting me to change over to Full Fibre now.

Great I thought, with a fair bit of doubt in my mind.😕

Just been onto the BT full fibre checker to see whether things had suddenly changed recently.

No, they haven't, our area isn't even in the up to 2026 period for full fibre plans.

So it's approaching 3 years away at the minimum.

Don't EE talk to their masters at BT?☹️

If you are somewhere that is not a town you may well end up waiting a lot longer or having to get a different solution. Investment in fire accross Europe fell last year by 66%.  The Altnets are either failing or being bought out by others and otheres are moving from a build to operate model. Its not about total homes past now its more about homes connected. There has been a very large slow down in the roll out,  Its a shame but its just the way the cookie crumbles. Anyway I thought EE were owned by VMO2. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

If you are somewhere that is not a town you may well end up waiting a lot longer or having to get a different solution. Investment in fire accross Europe fell last year by 66%.  The Altnets are either failing or being bought out by others and otheres are moving from a build to operate model. Its not about total homes past now its more about homes connected. There has been a very large slow down in the roll out,  Its a shame but its just the way the cookie crumbles. Anyway I thought EE were owned by VMO2. 

I'm in Worcestershire but the exchange is part of the Birmingham director area, which goes somewhat over the border into Worcestershire.

We were an early area for FTTC, when most of outer Birmingham was done, before several areas that are now FTTH or planned to be.

On the BT checker map we are lumped with a couple of parts of south Birmingham plus parts of Warwickshire and Worcestershire (which are not part of Birmingham area), as an island of no Full Fibre, whilst other areas less populated around us are on the list.

BTW, I had another EE flyer again telling me I can have full fibre now.☹️

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

Investment in fire accross Europe fell last year by 66%. 

Well yes, I suppose the bandwidth from communicating with smoke signals is low.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Reorte said:

But at least smoke signals are backed up in the cloud.  🙊

Roddy

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

48 minutes ago, C126 said:

Just for completeness's sake, the number is 01182302227, and is cited, e.g., thus:

https://who-called.co.uk/Number/01182302227

I have discovered my Panasonic KX-TGB610EB 'phone has a call-blocking function, if I can work out how to use it...

Does not always work because the scammers use technology to "fool" caller ID (in other words "pretend" to be where they are not).

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

Does not always work because the scammers use technology to "fool" caller ID (in other words "pretend" to be where they are not).

If the Caller ID is blocked, it is blocked.

Whether it is the correct caller ID is another matter as it is the actual number that is spoofed.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, C126 said:

I have discovered my Panasonic KX-TGB610EB 'phone has a call-blocking function, if I can work out how to use it...

Part of the Android system.

I found it quite quickly in Setting>Help>Calls

You can block a number (and report it to google as spam as well if you want)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The problem with that is that there's no checking on caller ID - so they can spoof any number they like - which could be a perfectly valid number belonging to an innocent bystander...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nick C said:

The problem with that is that there's no checking on caller ID - so they can spoof any number they like - which could be a perfectly valid number belonging to an innocent bystander...

AFAIK all the spoofed spam calls I have seen use unissued numbers.

Most are legit numbers that are not actually in use. Some, usually foreign, just have a load of meaningless numbers e.g. non existent country prefixes or wrong number of digits etc.

• Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, Reorte said:

Yes, but thanks to the latest achievement of our glorious political leaders, more bandwidth will become gradually available as nobody born after 2009 will be allowed to produce smoke signals.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

One thing I have found with blocking persistent spammers is that if you are a customer (in my case EON) they are classed as legitimate marketing calls and TPS isn't interested.

So you block the number with your phone provider and they just use a different legit number to spam you!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, melmerby said:

AFAIK all the spoofed spam calls I have seen use unissued numbers.

Most are legit numbers that are not actually in use. Some, usually foreign, just have a load of meaningless numbers e.g. non existent country prefixes or wrong number of digits etc.

Absolutely not, they can program their sending number to anything they wish. Sometimes an overseas number, other times another part of the country, a fictitious number, a number local to you or even your own!

I even had one from +000000000, with 000 being our emergency number, equivalent to your 999.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, melmerby said:

One thing I have found with blocking persistent spammers is that if you are a customer (in my case EON) they are classed as legitimate marketing calls and TPS isn't interested.

So you block the number with your phone provider and they just use a different legit number to spam you!

Not allowed in Australia, if you advise them to NOT so contact you. Some businesses have received heavy fines for ignoring your request or not allowing you to unsubscribe from emails. Well not just for ignoring you personally, but large numbers of their customers.

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/industry/industry-overview/compliance-and-breaches/

Some penalties applied in Australia, including the largest bank, fined $3.5M. Perhaps petty cash, but I'm sure someone received a kick up the ... and no bonus.

https://www.acma.gov.au/investigations-spam-and-telemarketing#outcomes-for-2024

Just wished it applied to overseas call centres, without representation in Australia!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Absolutely not

So you are disagreeing with what I personally have seen?

Quite how do you manage to do that?😁

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, C126 said:

have discovered my Panasonic KX-TGB610EB 'phone has a call-blocking function, if I can work out how to use it...

Probably worth checking how to remove a number from a blocklist too.,The other day my wife fumbled picking up our BT Digital Voice handset and managed to block her 96 year old Mum who rings about 3 times a day. While I was attempting to edit the blocklist ,( log on to MyBT account page, not a handset function) mother in law rang using her mobile. 
Tony

• Like 1
  • Funny 1