Class 31 111

I've got the Hornby model of 31 111 "skinhead" class 31 and I'm looking for some info on that loco or a similar loco I could change it too without too much work, ideally a Stratford allocated example. 

I notice it only has 2 marker lights on the front end, was this an 80's modification? 

Could I renumber it to one of the ETH fitted loco's or would I need to carry out any modification? I can't find many photos of that loco, or indeed many in Rail Blue with the front end modified. 

I'm guessing that as it is, it would be a loco in mid 80's condition. 

Many thanks.

Steve. 

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

31111 was withdrawn in 1983 and languished at Swindon for 3 years before scrapping so depends on your definition of mid 80s. 

As it is it’s a Hornby lash up …. 31111 retained her raised body side trim until the end which the Hornby blue model lacks … it was only ever paint on the green versions! Most lost that trim when refurbished so that may work to your advantage…. But you can reinstate it with micro strip if repainting

Typing Class 31 skinhead in to a Flickr search will come up with a few… 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Phil Bullock, I may renumber to a refurbed example to avoid replacing the trim. I also thought it was around later than that as the only photo's I've found of locos with the modified front end are post 85. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

Wasn't there a 31 with no headcode box at just one end ?

31215 - took 'skinhead' Class 31 to a whole new level.....!

image.png.d75c47d7a25b76fc9c743fb0c9384b24.png

(Flickr pic)

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

The only skinhead 31/4s were 418 (which existed in unrefurb and refurb periods) and 444/450/461 which only existed in refurbed form

Andi

Edit: forgot one! thanks @Hairy Bear Digital

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hairy Bear Digital said:

What about 31450, drove that loads of times.

I found a couple of photo's of it, looks an interesting loco to model. What was the story with the drivers window at the front? 

I did a conversion of Hornby's 31 111 to a Stratford skinhead.  From my recollection, all I changed (apart from renumbering) was the transfers for the coupling symbols (blue star to red spot) and the head code discs, which were a bit clunky on the original.  I would be interested in any feedback if I missed something in the conversion.

Class 31.jpg

• Like 5

I had this model and it suffered mazak rot so sent it back to Hornby during lockdown 2020 , Hornby did send a replacement 2 years later and it wasn't a skinhead 31111 Dutch livery one as no chassis available from China. so just make sure the one you have is not suffered the same mine was 12 years old and only ran a few times on my layout.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Something in the dim recesses of my mind is telling me that 31 111 was nicknamed 'sticks' by Spotters back in the day? IIRC it was the only loco under TOPS that had 4 '1's in a row.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, locospotter said:

I had this model and it suffered mazak rot so sent it back to Hornby during lockdown 2020 , Hornby did send a replacement 2 years later and it wasn't a skinhead 31111 Dutch livery one as no chassis available from China. so just make sure the one you have is not suffered the same mine was 12 years old and only ran a few times on my layout.

Not wanting to tempt fate, mine seems ok at the moment. 

That looks good @gazzaday did you add additional weathering over Hornby's? 

• RMweb Gold
On 23/04/2024 at 06:14, sb67 said:

I found a couple of photo's of it, looks an interesting loco to model. What was the story with the drivers window at the front? 

It’s a toughened glass windscreen. Quite hideous looking and accurascale are modelling one, albeit 31432 which had headcode boxes. I just had to get one! 😈

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Something in the dim recesses of my mind is telling me that 31 111 was nicknamed 'sticks' by Spotters back in the day? IIRC it was the only loco under TOPS that had 4 '1's in a row.

Certainly true of diesels (can't confirm or deny the nickname, not 'my' region), although when the Class 91 electrics were modified and renumbered 91 011 became 91 111. 31 111 had probably been despatched by then though (I know very little about '91s'..........and now I come to think about it I don't think I ever actually saw one!!)

Edited by Halvarras
Afterthought......

7 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Certainly true of diesels (can't confirm or deny the nickname, not 'my' region), although when the Class 91 electrics were modified and renumbered 91 011 became 91 111. 31 111 had probably been despatched by then though (I know very little about '91s'..........and now I come to think about it I don't think I ever actually saw one!!)

There will only ever be one Sticks; all others are mere imposters.....

image.png.ad1191b3ec87195d6682fc5f28a19fba.png

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

40 minutes ago, Talltim said:

Is it just me or is the DB logo on the side wonky?

There is no German word for wonky. Such things simply don't exist in the Federal Republic.

Probably...

• Funny 1

This reminds me - and because thread drift can be fun 😁 - that Traction magazine celebrated Issue no 1 with a string of images showing Class 44  1, Class 45s 11 & 111, Class 47 1111 and Class 04 11111 (being devoid of serifs the latter almost resembled a bar code...... "What's a bar code?", says 11111's 1950s BR driver. Ah, you need an optical scanner to........oh never mind 🤭)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

This reminds me - and because thread drift can be fun 😁 - that Traction magazine celebrated Issue no 1 with a string of images showing Class 44  1, Class 45s 11 & 111, Class 47 1111 and Class 04 11111 (being devoid of serifs the latter almost resembled a bar code...... "What's a bar code?", says 11111's 1950s BR driver. Ah, you need an optical scanner to........oh never mind 🤭)

Hence why I said that 31 111 was the only loco with 4 ones under TOPS. 😉

I should have added "at the time" (although I did put "back in the day") because it was long gone by the time 91s came along. 🙄

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, wirey33 said:

There is no German word for wonky. Such things simply don't exist in the Federal Republic.

Probably...

Isn’t it “vonky”?

• Funny 3

On 24/04/2024 at 17:53, sb67 said:

Not wanting to tempt fate, mine seems ok at the moment. 

That looks good @gazzaday did you add additional weathering over Hornby's? 

Mine shows no sign of Mazak rot.  The original model was unweathered.