Were there ever any 5-way points?

Not sure about the angles

48 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Don't know about a 5 way, but if you want lots of point blades (or none), South Australia is a good starting point (sorry for the pun - not really!).

https://nrm.org.au/assets/pdfdocs/collections/multi-gauge-muddle.pdf

Gladstone Yard appears to be an interesting place.

, but I think this point is about 5 ways:

• Top Centre to Bottom Right
  • Top Right to Bottom Left
  • Top Left to Bottom Right
  • Top Centre to Bottom Left
  • Top Left to Top Right ?

800px-Behr_Monorail-e1546268935702.jpg

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

…….but were there any 5-way turnouts?

Yes, but generally they are known as turntables!

(sorry for my sense of humour)

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

There were two types of Lartigue monorail 'turntable' on the L&B.

The ones intended for turning locos were straight, were turned under load, and were called 'turntables'. They had wheels at the ends that ran on a circular rail for support.

The curved ones were called 'points' and were used as turnouts, they only needed to be turned unloaded but had to bear the weight of the train passing over them.

The one pictured is definitely a 'point'. Note that there are wheels at the ends which are only fully supported when it aligns with another track, so it would be very difficult to use this as a turntable.

However, I'm not sure it qualifies as a 5-way point. After all, a 4-way point has 5 tracks connected to it. And this one doesn't appear to have 5 different routes across it - top left to top right is the wrong angle to be connected by the arc of the turntable.

• RMweb Premium

I think that there probably aren't as many 'true' even 3-way points as we'd think - in the real world the track is made to fit the location/purpose so they are often single- or tandem-points superimposed on each other.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, keefer said:

I think that there probably aren't as many 'true' even 3-way points as we'd think - in the real world the track is made to fit the location/purpose so they are often single- or tandem-points superimposed on each other.

4 hours ago, keefer said:

Don't know if it represents a prototype or was just an exercise in 'Can I.....':

http://www.clag.org.uk/green14.html

Yes, that example is really two three-ways superimposed - or a tandem point and its mirror image superimposed.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, keefer said:

Don't know if it represents a prototype or was just an exercise in 'Can I.....':

http://www.clag.org.uk/green14.html

That's a mixture of multiway and compound points

There used to be a 4 way/compound in Snow Hill Station, Birmingham.

gwrbsh1182.jpg

Just to the right of the platform end.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Keith that certainly looks like one. 

I've use the more colloquial term 3-way/4-way; am I correct in that these were termed tandem turnouts? 
If so, how would a tandem that diverged three ways be differentiated from one diverging four ways, in terms of nomenclature?

• RMweb Premium

I'm pretty sure that a three-way, with overlapping switches, would only have been used in goods yards and would not appear, even trailing, on a running line. A tandem is like a tandem bicycle, one behind the other. What do you call a bicycle made for three?

7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm pretty sure that a three-way, with overlapping switches, would only have been used in goods yards and would not appear, even trailing, on a running line. A tandem is like a tandem bicycle, one behind the other. What do you call a bicycle made for three?

The Goodies bike?

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sir douglas said:

5 way stub on Mcleans island, New Zealand

You have to wonder whether all that froggery didn't offset any saving in using a stub switch.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Thanks Keith that certainly looks like one. 

I've use the more colloquial term 3-way/4-way; am I correct in that these were termed tandem turnouts? 
If so, how would a tandem that diverged three ways be differentiated from one diverging four ways, in terms of nomenclature?

On Templot ones with overlapping blades are 3 throw, sequential ones are 3 way tandem

Here's a couple of 3 throw and a tandem for good luck (curved as well!):

mrcgy912.jpg

I think there is another 3 throw far left.

EDIT one of my original picks is another tandem, so 2 three throw and 2 3 way tandem.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Here's a couple of 3 throw and a tandem for good luck (curved as well!):

These shows the trackwork after the post-war rebuilding of Birmingham Central Goods as a parcels depot rather than general goods station. The original layout, rather than having a tandem to the right of the three-throw, had a pair of the latter side by side:

mrcgy928.jpg

[Embedded link to Warwickshire Railways mrcgy928.]

The Midland was rather partial to both.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

In case anybody's confused, the image I posted is of the post WW2 building taken in 1966, replacing the post WW1 building posted by Compound2632, taken in 1922 which was damaged during WW2.

(Central Grammar School, later Matthew Boulton college, seen behind in both views)

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, melmerby said:

In case anybody's confused, the image I posted is of the post WW2 building taken in 1966, replacing the post WW1 building posted by Compound2632, taken in 1922 which was damaged during WW2.

Just so. Damaged is a bit of an understatement! Burnt out in an intense fire on the night of 25/26 October 1940, courtesy of the Luftwaffe. The rebuilding and trackwork alterations in the 1966 photo were carried out in 1947/8. Looking at the two photos again, I see the layout actually gained an extra tandem in the rebuilding.

6 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

a.k.a "Trandem" : https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/iconic-trandem-from-the-goodies-up-for-auction

.... but then, as were talking about quins rather than trios : - 

2582.02DSC_0431.JPG.4ff397ef58d7a1957080b1475d1724e0.JPG

Coventry Motor Museum : 9/9/19

I have a vague recollection from about half a century ago of a Coventry museum telling me about some local factory having built a 21-seater bike only it proved too heavy to move.

But there's always this ....

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/worlds-longest-bike-looks-like-the-support-structures-of-a-walmart-store-146352.html#agal_0

• Like 1