Small and simple DCC controller.

ianp

I currently run a small and simple layout: a circle of track with just one engine running on it. What is the smallest and simplest DCC controller that I could plausibly buy (new or s/h) to operate this set up? I own an NCE powercab which works fine but which is far too sophisticated for the very limited requirements of this layout.

Edited by ianp

1 hour ago, ianp said:

I currently run a small and simple layout: a circle of track with just one engine running on it. What is the smallest and simplest DCC controller that I could plausibly buy (new or s/h) to operate this set up? I own an NCE powercab which works fine but which is far too sophistcated for the very limited requirements of this layout.

There's no reason to discount your PowerCab, even the most complex DCC system is perfectly suitable for running just one loco.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The Bachmann EZ Command is about as simple as they get but you only have control over F0-F9 - limiting if you have DCC Sound fitted locos

For entry level systems by the main suppliers:

NCE Power Cab

Digitrax Zephyr

Roco z21 Start

Each of these will control the full range of function outputs.

If you're happy using a mobile phone or tablet then a SPROG II connected to your PC will work quite happily. If you want something stand-alone then a Pi-SPROG or DCC-EX system will work nicely too.

Steven B

• Like 1

Lenz now have a new low budget and extremely basic starter system.

It's named "Starter Digital Set" and is priced at €99 (full list price)

Additional handsets priced at €39.95 each.

This system is more basic than the Bachmann E-Z Command - 4 loco's and 10 functions only ....in 2024 !!!!!!

It does provide either 3 or 4 amps to the track though.

Thankfully it's not sold in the UK at present, as far as I'm aware.

60120.jpg

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

27 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Ron

do you have a link to this set? I can only find a Lenz starter set at around £350 but would have a use for this simple set - if I could find it 😀

https://www.lenz-elektronik.de/digital-plus/starter.php

KMS Railtec are advertising the additional handset for £33.96, but don't appear to have a price yet for the starter set.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Ron

do you have a link to this set? I can only find a Lenz starter set at around £350 but would have a use for this simple set - if I could find it 😀

Modellbahn Union sell it and ship to the UK fairly painlessly in my limited experience.:-

https://www.modellbahnunion.com/O-gauge/Starter-Digital-Set.htm?shop=modellbahn-union-en&a=article&ProdNr=Lenz-60120&p=837

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 3

What about using Hornby HM7000 decoders for this application? The app itself is of course free if you have a Bluetooth device. Just an idea… 

cheers

idd

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, idd15 said:

What about using Hornby HM7000 decoders for this application? The app itself is of course free if you have a Bluetooth device. Just an idea… 

cheers

idd

I would have suggested the Hornby Bluetooth system, as the lowest cost system of all… i.e.  £0 (zip, zilch, nada) for a virtual command station (the HM DCC app) and using a cheap power supply in leu of needing a DCC system Booster track output.

Of course that would be ideal for someone starting out with DCC, but not much use to someone like the OP, who already has decoder equipped locos and may not want to refit them all with HM7000 decoders.

• Like 2

The HM7000 is cost effective for 3 or less locos, above that it is more expensive than using the Lenz digital starter set mentioned above and cheap decoders, though it will provide you with a form of sound that the alternate solution - and this is assuming that the scale being operated can be fitted with the HM7000 decoders.

I think that the Bachmann EZ-Command is my favourite, not just basic and cheap but really simple to use with a separate button to call up each loco. Main limitation of course is just short addresses 1-9.

Next I would probably look at a Roco LokMaus2. It gives you a small hand control rather than being a desk controller, but does give you access to short addresses 1-99 if you have a larger roster.

Next step after that would be the more capable Roco MultiMaus which gives access to more functions (F0-F20 - handy for sound) and long addresses 100-9999 too.

I can't think of any others that would work well without being over complex for what you need. I use the above three controllers a lot because of their simplicity and they each have their place.

• Informative/Useful 1

I have a Roco Z21 operated by a Roco WLANmaus (which is a hand controller), this setup is expensive at about € 500. However I am so pleased with the full black version that when I saw a used z21 start I bought it straightaway. I updated it by adding the same router as the Z21 has (eBay € 1) then bought the release code from Roco (€ 39.90).

Whilst the OP is only wanting a very basic controller I would suggest a 'previously enjoyed' z21 starter as it can carry on being used when the railway empire expands. The only bugbear is programming decoders, the Z21 can operate a separate programming track  but the z21 cannot so the only option is POM.

1 hour ago, CFL said:

The only bugbear is programming decoders, the Z21 can operate a separate programming track  but the z21 cannot so the only option is POM

This isn't a totally correct statement.

All you need to do to get a programming track for a z21 (and other systems that don't have a separate programming output) is to place a DPDT switch inline with the command station output connected to the common terminals. The main track is then one position of the switch and the programming track is the other position.

• Agree 3

12 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

This isn't a totally correct statement.

All you need to do to get a programming track for a z21 (and other systems that don't have a separate programming output) is to place a DPDT switch inline with the command station output connected to the common terminals. The main track is then one position of the switch and the programming track is the other position.

Hmm, that'll work, I never thought of it seeing as the Z21 does have a seperate output. I don't use either the Z21 programming mode or the POM method as I have an ESU lokprogrammer on a board with a bit of HO and HOe track. Do all the tricky bits on the PC including writing out the CVs that have been set.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, CFL said:

Hmm, that'll work, I never thought of it seeing as the Z21 does have a seperate output. I don't use either the Z21 programming mode or the POM method as I have an ESU lokprogrammer on a board with a bit of HO and HOe track. Do all the tricky bits on the PC including writing out the CVs that have been set.

But POM has so many advantages where CVs with a wide range of values are concerned. You can check the setting instantly, adding or subtracting as you then find best. And for sound decoders the instant change in e.g. volume etc is such a time-saver - too much or too little shows up at once. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

But POM has so many advantages where CVs with a wide range of values are concerned.

I don't see your point, using a programming track and lok programmer linked to the ESU program on the PC enables me to do all of the actions with a mouse click or a numerical change. I set up my sound locos this way. Anyway this is serious thread drift from the original question, I've said my piece and will now shut up.

Posted (edited)

I am in a similar position to the Ianp at the start of the thread.

I have a small xmas OO-9 layout that pops into the living room for a few weeks to run a few trains. Last year everything was under DC but this year it would be great just to have a small DCC controler to control a couple of locos, with some sounds.

However I have a second need to be able to change some loco addresses. My current system seems to be getting old and won't change the address on a Lok pilot 5 (it thinks they are 4s), nor will it change addresses on Bachmann's DCC sound fitted 00-9 locos. Aside that all functions work fine.....

The Lenz digital starter set looks fine - if limited - but I was left with the impression that you could not change the loco address.

Another I looked at is this TRIX T66955 (plus 2 other parts to buy for about 150eur). More functions, can clearly change the addresses. With up 10 locos.

What else I wonder?

Edited by JSpencer

On 02/05/2024 at 12:15, Oldddudders said:

But POM has so many advantages where CVs with a wide range of values are concerned. You can check the setting instantly, adding or subtracting as you then find best. And for sound decoders the instant change in e.g. volume etc is such a time-saver - too much or too little shows up at once. 

PoM is OK if you are very careful or you could change CV's of everything that is on the track at one time.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

PoM is OK if you are very careful or you could change CV's of everything that is on the track at one time.

Most systems I've encountered require you to enter an address before you can use POM. Do any still write to all addresses? My Z21 will also read as well as write in POM mode, I think this is due to Railcom, or Railcom enabled decoders.

Bob

All systems require you to specify the address to undertake PoM and if you are able to read the CVs then you have decoders that have Railcom.

By default Railcom operating is enabled on the z/Z21 and it also also enabled by default on decoders which have Railcom as part of the instruction set.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

No you couldn't. POM comes up with the address of a specific loco - the last one you addressed on that throttle. In 20+ years of using POM - and I'm no more infallible than the next septuagenarian, - I have never managed anything untoward. 

• Agree 2

I know of a couple of people who managed it somehow - me ? no, never felt the need to as I have a programming track that will take the longest train I run.

Anyway, Railcom is disabled on my fleet.

Each to their own.

2 minutes ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

I know of a couple of people who managed it somehow - me ? no, never felt the need to as I have a programming track that will take the longest train I run.

Anyway, Railcom is disabled on my fleet.

Each to their own.

Okay, I fibbed, I'm back. I too have disabled Railcom on everything. My programming track is long enough to take my sound Co Co, I have several rakes of carriages with ESU lightbars which have inbuilt decoders. For other vehicles with DCC applicable functions I program them on the programming track with a guinea pig loco (a BR 80) so the ESU lok programmer can read/write to them. The CVs are noted on my crib sheets then the loco has it's CVs reset. It all runs swimmingly. Okay, a lok programmer is about € 140 but when treating a whole stable of locoos and carriages (with new additions but don't tell the mrs) it makes sense, and as I said previously the control from the PC is second to none.

• Like 1