Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Class 13 build

86F3DC67-92C5-4FC0-806B-333AE8B74242.jpeg.d3d9acdaaa849428af3ff2f95f1513f9.jpeg

After many years of avoiding such things and preferring to wait for rtr offerings, I took the plunge and did a conversion on two 08s to make a class 13 using NIU models parts. 

It was much easier than I was expecting and has certainly made me re-evaluate the ability to do such things in the future. It took maybe a day and a half over a weekend, and I’m pleased with the end result. 

Full build video: 

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I made a class 13 from two Lima 08s when I was still at school.  To help with the running I wired the pickups from the slave unit to the motor on the master unit.  Not perfect but It looked OK and ran OK. 

• Like 2

The problem with using the Lima one as a donor was that it has the extra bodyside cabinets on the solebar - a shame because they are a lot cheaper than carving up Bachmann or Hornby Superdetail 08s!

• Moderators

Did any of them have mixed crests/arrows? I didn't think the slaves had any, or numbers.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Did any of them have mixed crests/arrows? I didn't think the slaves had any, or numbers.

The 13001 slave had double arrows from I think about 1980 to wirhdrawal. I don't think any of the others did.

I have no idea about lions. Or wheels.

Edited by Jeremy Cumberland
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

The 13001 slave had double arrows from I think about 1980 to wirhdrawal.

You're right. I'll have to play the 'after my time' card.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

On 15/05/2024 at 18:51, AY Mod said:

And i also wonder, did the slave units get swaped around

at any time ?

• RMweb Premium

That's how they were originally. I haven't seen many photos of them that way round to know which unit was turned. When I knew them in the mid -70s, all three of them were the same way round, with the cab at the east end as I recall. Presumably this is the end they most needed to couple.

There's something I've always wondered regarding these:

Why did they remove the cab? If you had kept both cabs they could have been coupled nose to nose and the driver could have used the front one as appropriate, giving a much better view for shunting.

27 minutes ago, Barclay said:

There's something I've always wondered regarding these:

Why did they remove the cab? If you had kept both cabs they could have been coupled nose to nose and the driver could have used the front one as appropriate, giving a much better view for shunting.

By keeping the two cabs it would have just been the same as using two locos and I would think the unions at the time would complain about them not using two crews....

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

By keeping the two cabs it would have just been the same as using two locos and I would think the unions at the time would complain about them not using two crews....

Jason

08s (or 350s or whatever people called them back then) weren't equipped for multiple working, surely, so they would need to have been modified. I'd be surprised if there were any serious call to crew them as two locos, since by 1965, multiple working with a single crew was commonplace, and as far as I am aware, the (rather ad-hoc) MU-fitted class 03s for the Burry Port and Gwendraeth Valley line (also, incidentally, a 1965 innovation) were worked by a single crew for the three locomotives, each of which retained its controls.

I am not sure what difficulties there might have been in adding multiple working while retaining two sets of controls, but presumably it was decided that removing the second cab and its controls was less work.

On 03/05/2024 at 23:13, Jenny Emily said:

After many years of avoiding such things and preferring to wait for rtr offerings, I took the plunge and did a conversion on two 08s to make a class 13 using NIU models parts. 

It was much easier than I was expecting and has certainly made me re-evaluate the ability to do such things in the future. It took maybe a day and a half over a weekend, and I’m pleased with the end result

Welcome to modelling the 1980s way - it's what we did regularly back then, to upgrade 4mm RTR diesels of all makes, although detailing parts would have been whitemetal castings & suchlike, not 3D printed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

Originally cab to cab , the source I read said they were turned at they kept hitting the buffers at the end of the reception sidings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They didn't last very long in their original form. D3697 and D3698, which later became two of the slaves, were built in 1959. The other four were built in 1962. They were converted in 1965.

D3697 and D3698 appear never to have left the Sheffield area, originally being allocated to Darnall, with D3697 later going to Wath.

D4187 to D4190 originally went to Stratford.