RMweb

Unscrew it

5 hours ago, AyJay said:

When it comes to fitting decoders, I think Dapol’s idea of going through the smoke box door is better; although I have also found that to be fiddly.

Far from ideal IMO, a very visible location for physical handling, and totally unsuited to subjects light at the smokebox end such as 0-4-4T and 0-4-2T.

Options:

Steam locos have bunkers.

A lift out thin 'coal' moulding and a void underneath with the decoder socket would do the job. Further refinements on this scheme are possible.

Tank locos often have side tanks. Usually ample space there for decoder stowage which has been seen a few times.

New entrant Pi ices the cake with a vertically mounted decoder socket in the side tank, neat, compact and easily accessed, as they also made body removal simple and clearly documented - these two screws - and the body freely lifts off: this their maiden attempt in RTR OO!  

Nomination for the AY Design Progess award.

As for D+E, lift out panels utilising panel joints of the subject, or the undersides, offer so much scope as to clearly be too boring to consider - Nah, we'll stick with our established take the entire body off scheme.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 07/05/2024 at 20:34, AY Mod said:

Whilst some manufacturers are making it easier to get inside bodies to carry out basic tasks some seem to be going the other way.

Would it be too much for instructions to state the type and size of screwdriver that should be used? When trying to get an unseen screw to move inside a sunken hole can you be absolutely sure you've got the right tool for the job or whether it's been overtightened?

The next tool was likely to be the bigommer.

<Sigh - cynical mode on>

It's like many things in 21st Century life - partially or totally screwed!  

<Sigh - cynical mode off>

Edited by Lambton58

• RMweb Premium
On 08/05/2024 at 13:26, Phatbob said:

The big 'ommer, otherwise known to those of us not blessed with a west midlands upbringing as a "Birmingham screwdriver" 😉

Birmingham Screwdriver Company.jpg

As a Brummie, that would be factually incorrect

It was always a "Brummagem Screwdriver"

That sign was added to add charater to the repurposed building.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

New entrant Pi ices the cake with a vertically mounted decoder socket in the side tank, neat, compact and easily accessed, as they also made body removal simple and clearly documented - these two screws - and the body freely lifts off: this their maiden attempt in RTR OO!  

Nomination for the AY Design Progess award.

….

Pardon my h’ignorance, but who or what is “new entrant Pi” please?  I can see no reference to them in the “Trade and Products” section. 

Edited by Willie Whizz

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

Pardon my h’ignorance, but who or what is “new entrant Pi” please?  I can see no reference to them in the “Trade and Products” section. 

image.png

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

10 screws to get body off on the new Bachmann 37!!! 

Probably only four needed, six spares to replace the ones eaten by the carpet monster?

Andi

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Thank you Andy. It was the small ‘i’ that threw me; I read it as a brand name (Pi like in maths) in its own right, not a set of initials.  If that’s how the official logo looks, I may not be the first or last!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/05/2024 at 19:52, 34theletterbetweenB&amp;D said:

Should have phrased the question better! Has any brand offering DCC fitted / sound models ceased offering a DCC ready option ?

But there is no significant reduction in manufacturing costs, it's just cheaper to wire them all with a socket and plug in either a chip or blanking plate.

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

But there is no significant reduction in manufacturing costs, it's just cheaper to wire them all with a socket and plug in either a chip or blanking plate.

This is true, and the further proof is that RTR OO increasingly comes with a speaker installed. But what my question was aimed at is whether the significantly increased profit from 'DCC fitted or sound over DCC ready has seen any brand cease offering the latter.

Anyone who currently has teenage children will remember birthdays and Christmas when a small tool kit of wire cutters and assorted screwdrivers were needed to extract the latest must have toy from the packaging. That's before even getting to the battery compartment!