KMRC announce LBSC ‘Open A’ SR Diagram 1369 & 1364 five plank open wagon range in 00 Gauge.

• Kernow MRC changed the title to KMRC announce LBSC ‘Open A’ SR Diagram 1369 & 1364 five plank open wagon range in 00 Gauge.

Brilliant news. Well done Kernow and Graham.

Order straight in for 4 of them. Just when I was building a kit too.... LOL

I love those curved ends often seen on pre-grouping wagons.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Graham and everyone

Many congratulations to you and KMRC on these announcements.

We listed these wagons individually for the first time in The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022  (the last Poll to run before we run again near Christmas this year). Previously, they had been 'aggregated' under the generic heading of LBSCR Wagons, Vans & Brake Vans.

They were High Polling.

We wish you every success with the project.

As a footnote, we have worked with many clubs and societies to 'disaggregate' our wagon listings and you will see a lot more 'individual listings' of pre-Group vehicles as these as well as certain other items.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Well done Kernow. These look excellent and are a great addition to the Rapido wagons - it really is a great time to be a Brighton modeller. The level of detail looks fantastic, right down to the chains on the brake leavers. If these ever get released in O gauge then my bank balance will be facing major issues.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

The year of the pre-grouping wagon... Caledonian Dia.67 Goods Vans & LBSCR/GN/SECR 7 Planks from Rapido and LBSCR 1369 & 1364 Opens from Kernow. I've said it once and I'll say it again we're are being spoiled for the pre-grouping scene 😊

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Whoop whoop !! 

Now.................What about a LBSCR Brake van and a covered van and there's your basic pre-grouping goods train...but, subject to their continuity ( inextricably linked to commercial viability ) could the van and brake van also be pre-WW1, as per the round ended opens ? 

Hooves crossed. 

Rob

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Garethp8873 said:

Sign me up already!! There happens to be one as well at the SVR, but it's in very poor condition.

8448653056_2e02ebdda0_b.jpg

That would appear to be one of the earlier-built ones as mentioned on the Kernow website:

The first versions built from 1905 had brake gear on one side only and ‘J’ / ‘hockey stick’ diagonal framing. They were soon fitted with ‘Freighter’ style brakes on each side with a single vee Hanger. From 1912 the diagonal strapping changed to be straight at the bottom end.

I assume by 'J'/'hocket stick' diagonal framing they're referring to the side knee washer plates. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

That would appear to be one of the earlier-built ones as mentioned on the Kernow website:

I assume by 'J'/'hocket stick' diagonal framing they're referring to the side knee washer plates. 

I think they're referring to this bit:-

image.png.ee0c28a299bc6518099fcac2096b94c7.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Whoop whoop !! 

Now.................What about a LBSCR Brake van and a covered van and there's your basic pre-grouping goods train...but, subject to their continuity ( inextricably linked to commercial viability ) could the van and brake van also be pre-WW1, as per the round ended opens ? 

Hooves crossed. 

Rob

Rapido has hinted at one in the works. Of course there are still plenty of the 1980's Hornby one with silver seal wheels 😅

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon folks,

Well, just as I have got my Cambrian D1369 kit ready for LBSCR livery  painting what gets announced!? 😃

Anyway, an order will be going in for another LBSCR one, just have to be careful how I number the kit-built one.

Like Rob G (NHY 581), a brake van would be appreciated too.Cheers

Edit: spelling error (van not can).

Single vee hanger LBSCR model now ordered 😃.

Cheers, Nigel.

Edited by GMKAT7
Added info. Typo.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Kernow MRC said:

Graham Muspratt, Development Manager, said: “The numerous LBSC 5 plank ‘Open A’ wagons of both Diagrams 1369 and 1364 could be seen all over the LBSC/SR network and lasted even longer into British Railways days on the Isle of Wight. We hope these will be popular amongst LBSC / SR mainland and Isle of Wight modellers alike. Our tooling suite covers many detail permutations to be able to offer a number of variations across the range.”

Don't undersell your product!

They could in principle be seen all over the country from 1917 onwards, thanks to the common user agreement (pooling) for ordinary open wagons. Every LNER modeller should have one!

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

They could in principle be seen all over the country from 1917 onwards, thanks to the common user agreement (pooling) for ordinary open wagons. Every LNER modeller should have one!

And in practice too. Every LMS modeller should have one!

lnwrrm881e.jpg

Embedded link to Warwickshire Railways image lnwrrm881e, Rugby, late 1920s, part of a postcard view of the NW approaches. (Thanks to a wagon-spotting correspondent who reads but does not post here.)

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Looking again at that Rugby photo, I have the impression that while the interior of the wagon is unpainted wood as usual, the inside on the round ends above the top of the sides is darker - maybe painted body colour? I note that the models illustrated in the OP are body colour inside and out, but of course these are pre-production samples so I suppose may not represent the final decoration.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Looking again at that Rugby photo, I have the impression that while the interior of the wagon is unpainted wood as usual, the inside on the round ends above the top of the sides is darker - maybe painted body colour? I note that the models illustrated in the OP are body colour inside and out, but of course these are pre-production samples so I suppose may not represent the final decoration.

I believe I have seen models painted that way before so I suspect that is correct for at least some of them.

Well done to kernow again picking a good subject. Cambrian really have taken a kicking in the last couple of years. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Of course there are still plenty of the 1980's Hornby one with silver seal wheels 😅

The wheels were probably the best bit !  The rest of the model is not very accurate.

The prototypes  were built in 1922 so are not much use to many Brighton modellers.

Rodney

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, Garethp8873 said:

Sign me up already!! There happens to be one as well at the SVR, but it's in very poor condition.

8448653056_2e02ebdda0_b.jpg

I suspect this will eventually end up in scrap. Maybe me, but I seem to notice an uplift of various preserved lines trying to sell items that they don't have space for and/or cannot preserve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

lnwrrm881e.jpg

Off topic, and asking as someone not very good at identifying wagons, what is the van standing on its own on the righthand side? Obviously vented and seems to have offset doors on the sides. 

Thanks in advance,

Roy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Perhaps someone from Kernow could put our minds at rest and confirm how the wagon interiors are going to be finished.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Off topic, and asking as someone not very good at identifying wagons, what is the van standing on its own on the righthand side? Obviously vented and seems to have offset doors on the sides. 

That's one of the infinite variety of LMS 12 ton vans, with sliding doors, external vertical and diagonal bracing to the left of the door, internal to the right, since it slides to the right. A fitted example of D1664 or D1676? Fresh out of the paint shop, hence the very pale grey.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

I believe I have seen models painted that way before so I suspect that is correct for at least some of them.

Well done to kernow again picking a good subject. Cambrian really have taken a kicking in the last couple of years. 

The SE&CR painted the interior of the ends of some of their open wagons like that, down to the level of the wagon side top.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Just looked in "Southern Wagons vol.2" and there also photos of these wagons with completely unpainted interiors, in SR days. So a mixed picture regarding the round topped ends.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2