Bachmann 37/0 pre-production shots

Andy Y

Aaah excellent news, thank (insert deity of choice here) that these are still at the in-grey phase..... I've a wee while yet to build up funds from the "holiday" saving scheme.

Ta for the heads up

These are going to be

37 251 centre panel VF blue full yellow

37 049 splitbox VF blue full yellow, no valence, sound

D6801 splitbox VF green small yellow

Curiously the splitbox shown is a RSH design, presumably this is for the limited edition of 37003. Although not RSH, it's one of the handful of VFs (D6700-4) with the different grilles and extra strip on the side and this is probably the closest that can be done without a completely seperate body moulding.

Fantastic, news I for one can't wait as hopefully the secondhand price of the first skirted 0's will drop and I can get another one for renumbering. I hope they have got the skirts right, its hard to tell from the angle of the photo but they look much improved over the original version.

• RMweb Gold

......how about fixing the 40?!? That model must be Bachmann's weakest diesel.

I spoke to Bachmann at the DEMU event re the Class 40.

Because there were other errors with the model they do not want to just do a simple chassis upgrade like on other models.

They are looking towards a full rework, body and chassis.

This will of course take time, and no, they had no timescales on this, I did ask biggrin.gif

If it comes out anything like the quality of the new Peaks and the forthcoming 37/0's I will be a happy bunny.

Thank you for posting the photographs. The samples look stunning. I'm glad I have a sound one on pre-order. It should make a great start to the new year.

Well done Bachmann. What a week!

Because there were other errors with the model they do not want to just do a simple chassis upgrade like on other models.

This will of course take time, and no, they had no timescales on this, I did ask biggrin.gif

If it comes out anything like the quality of the new Peaks and the forthcoming 37/0's I will be a happy bunny.

It would be nice if they re did the 24/25 at the same time. Having just done JIM-S-W chassis mods to my entire fleet this is bound to happen!

That's fantastic news - even if it does mean a bit of a wait. Hopefully they'll hit the mark like they've done with this new 37 - just hope it doesn't take so many reincarnations to get there this time!

Now what can I do with the two first generation bachy 40's hidden in the bottom of my wardrobe?

I wonder if they'll improve the MU socket on the buffer beam on this one? It's a good opportunity to replace the orange blob (visible really clearly in these pre-prod photos) to a more representative shape! It would save having to find a Heljan 47 one, or carve something out of plastic!

I wonder if they'll improve the MU socket on the buffer beam on this one? It's a good opportunity to replace the orange blob (visible really clearly in these pre-prod photos) to a more representative shape! It would save having to find a Heljan 47 one, or carve something out of plastic!

I think you're getting confused between MU boxes and ETH plugs and sockets but the MU socket could still be moulded better anyway as you've pointed out.

• 4 months later...

One of these was in the display case at Wigan this weekend and there is a rather apparent issue with it. The body and chassis tooling combo seems to be that used previously on 37254 (in BR blue with sound and cut back cowls) but with new noses fitted.

So why is this a problem? Well, the chassis tooling has a buffer beam moulded on to it and to avoid hitting this the new nose with the cowled buffers has been artificially extended to avoid it. This means the coupling hook area is further back from the nose than it should be and the top of the nose has a flat bit on it as well as the extra space between the nose side grills and what I think are sand fillers on the nose corners. The diagonal slope of the cowls is also too shallow to compensate. The nose was a slightly different colour on the painted example in the cabinet which didn't help either.

It wasn't a particularly exciting discovery though I guess you could take off the nose, remove the bufferbeam from the chassis and file them both down a bit to remove the issue. Its also ironically the opposite issue to the earlier one where the nose is a bit shallow (easy to see when you compare a D6826 to a 37254 mould) though at least the headcode box, fillers and lights are vertically in the correct place now.

I'm already fighting to get a banana bogied 37254 to run on P4 track after taking the drive off the middle axle and trying to spring it so i'll probably stick with that for now and some Pixie ends and a bit of plasticard (the ends need lengthening slightly) to deal with my class 37 needs rather than go for this new one now.

The boiler outlet doesn't have the grille over it this time and its just a shallow hole. The loco does feature the newer etch rather than the old plastic and mesh affair over the fan though but the Shawplan one is worth adding anyway. Cab door handrails are metal now though which saves some carving!

Not sure when these are due in shops but the one in the cabinet looked like a factory printed one rather than hand done. Disclaimer of course if the one in the cabinet is a mockup but it didn't look like it..

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

One of these was in the display case at Wigan this weekend and there is a rather apparent issue with it. The body and chassis tooling combo seems to be that used previously on 37254 (in BR blue with sound and cut back cowls) but with new noses fitted.

So why is this a problem? Well, the chassis tooling has a buffer beam moulded on to it and to avoid hitting this the new nose with the cowled buffers has been artificially extended to avoid it. This means the coupling hook area is further back from the nose than it should be and the top of the nose has a flat bit on it as well as the extra space between the nose side grills and what I think are sand fillers on the nose corners. The diagonal slope of the cowls is also too shallow to compensate. The nose was a slightly different colour on the painted example in the cabinet which didn't help either.

It wasn't a particularly exciting discovery though I guess you could take off the nose, remove the bufferbeam from the chassis and file them both down a bit to remove the issue. Its also ironically the opposite issue to the earlier one where the nose is a bit shallow (easy to see when you compare a D6826 to a 37254 mould) though at least the headcode box, fillers and lights are vertically in the correct place now.

I'm already fighting to get a banana bogied 37254 to run on P4 track after taking the drive off the middle axle and trying to spring it so i'll probably stick with that for now and some Pixie ends and a bit of plasticard (the ends need lengthening slightly) to deal with my class 37 needs rather than go for this new one now.

The boiler outlet doesn't have the grille over it this time and its just a shallow hole. The loco does feature the newer etch rather than the old plastic and mesh affair over the fan though but the Shawplan one is worth adding anyway. Cab door handrails are metal now though which saves some carving!

Not sure when these are due in shops but the one in the cabinet looked like a factory printed one rather than hand done. Disclaimer of course if the one in the cabinet is a mockup but it didn't look like it..

I probably wouldn't have noticed but now you've pointed it out, the error does stand out rather. Looking at the latest pictures on the Bachmann website, the extra space between the cabside grills and the sandbox fillers is clearly shown for both new BR Blue models. But why I wonder does it also show for 37049 (32-783DS) since this has cut away buffers so should be the same as the earlier 37254 model which I assumed from your comment was correct in this area.

Clearly we'll have to wait for the production run for the answer. I have been waiting for the BR Blue 37251 with cowled buffer beam so I hope it's correct, or at least doesn't stand out too much to put me off. Quite why manufacturers make these compromises when they must know they will be spotted and put many buyers off is beyond me. Surely it would not have been too difficult, or costly, to get this "right" (assuming they haven't), or would it compromise the tooling for the other versions?

Fingers crossed!

Archived