Bachmann 37/0 pre-production shots

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I look at the 37 with split headcodes and it looks like one to me. I read about bogie width, gap between sand box and grill, apparent 'trench' under the cantrail grill etc etc. and if I gave a damn about minutae I would not buy one, but it looks OK to me so I will buy one.

I think the problem is not enough people give a damn so those of us that do have to put up or shut up. Don't get me wrong if you think it looks ok thats fine, its your money.

I have some Heljan class 33s that are not quite write and my Bachmann 25s are wrong but I have done things to improve them to a point were I am happy with them. What gets me is Bachmann have a decent class 37 so why have they managed to get the nose wrong on this one and where has the trench under the cantrail grilles come from, it wasn't on earlier models.

Cheers Peter.

I think the problem is not enough people give a damn

Or maybe the errors in question don't grate that much when seen through the eyes of the regular modeller?

so those of us that do have to put up or shut up.

Yes, yes you do. Or you could do some modelling to put right the issues that jar you so much. To be fair you'd still have a lot less to do than you would had you started out with a typical Lima model of 10 - 15 years ago.

What gets me is Bachmann have a decent class 37

They do? I thought that all the tooling was pretty much standard after the universally reviled first batch had been put out of it's misery?

Or you could do some modelling to put right the issues that jar you so much.

Or you could maybe see some of Peter's work before making a sarcastic remark?!

Peter is a modeller who is more than capable of completing this kind of work! His modelling is excellent!

To be fair you'd still have a lot less to do than you would had you started out with a typical Lima model of 10 - 15 years ago.

You know what? Depending on the standards to which you work, there's still about as much work to do on the Bachmann 37 was there was on the Lima one, tumblehome aside.

It still needs new windscreens, fan grille, general detailing as well as work to open up the moulded gap around the tanks. It's just the body dimensions are a little more accurate...

If Lima had got the height of their 37 body right, I'd be using that now!

They do? I thought that all the tooling was pretty much standard after the universally reviled first batch had been put out of it's misery?

All sutbly different but for the most past interchangable.

Sorry but I cant see the nose error where am I ment to be looking.

James

You need to look at the amount of space between the sandbox filler (the inset square on the corners of the loco around from the tail lights) and the nose side grilles. Compare 37049 with something like 37035 where there was a lot less yellow space. The new nose screw on section is longer.

Or you could maybe see some of Peter's work before making a sarcastic remark?!

Peter is a modeller who is more than capable of completing this kind of work! His modelling is excellent!

You know what? Depending on the standards to which you work, there's still about as much work to do on the Bachmann 37 was there was on the Lima one, tumblehome aside.

It still needs new windscreens, fan grille, general detailing as well as work to open up the moulded gap around the tanks. It's just the body dimensions are a little more accurate...

If Lima had got the height of their 37 body right, I'd be using that now!

All sutbly different but for the most past interchangable.

Hi James,

Thanks, you have put it alot better than I could have,:D as you said I don't mind improving a model but when a manufacturer goes backwards it dosn't make sence.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Did not mean to anger anyone or make it sound like I am not grateful to those who lobby hard to get things right. My point is that is it difficult for manufacturers to get things completely right, there are very few locos made these days that do not pass muster with all modellers. Whilst there are issues which I would have not spotted as I know little or nothing about the EEtype 3/37 I do want an early version. I am prepared to accept that some things may be marginally out if the general appearance is that of the class. It is interesting to note that the issues that people pick out today (minute or not) would not have been thinkable a few years ago.

• RMweb Premium

The "trench " below the cantrail grills could be down to tooling. The metal used is relatively soft and has a short life. Therefore even a machining error that Quality Control haven't picked up on, or tooling that has been rehashed?

Looking at the pics on Hattons, the bogie frames do look a bit different, but not in the same league as those used under a Hornby 50.

37049 is a nice looking loco, and got me tempted, but really need sector liveried 37 428 David Lloyd George . . . .

You know, I waited ages and ages for 37049 to arrive, reallyl fancied a split headcode blue 37, and then started reading the reviews.

Put me off.

And then I thought, no, its good enough for me, I honestly couldnt produce better myself, sod it!.

Ordered and on its way :)

Regards

Lee

Do all these comments apply to the Green 37 D6801 Bachmann's ref 32-782 or does that mystery yet await us? ;)

Cheers,

David

The preproduction model had the extended nose, indeed the skirt version actually needed it to cover up the non skirt bufferbeam that is part of the chassis block and behind the nose.

From what I saw of that version if you took a hacksaw to the chassis and removed this bufferbeam you could then file down the nose. The nose was extended by a flat bit and not has the slope changed from what I saw. Edit: though the diagonal from the skirts on the sides is wrong and would need reshaping.

I've been trying to fit some of Pixies noses for a skirted example to a sound blue 37/0 but the problem there has been that the early green skirted example these noses were intended for actually had a narrow nose to I need to pack the resin out a bit and fit some plasticard behind and file it all to shape.

• RMweb Gold

You know, I waited ages and ages for 37049 to arrive, reallyl fancied a split headcode blue 37, and then started reading the reviews.

Put me off.

And then I thought, no, its good enough for me, I honestly couldnt produce better myself, sod it!.

Ordered and on its way :)

Regards

Lee

My sentiments exactly.

Mine arrived this morning (37049) and I'm more than happy with it.

Does anyone have a photograph of an original split head-code Class 37 from the 1980's with the body-side groove under the grill. It's significant enough for me not to run it on the layout without renumbering.

Having identified the error my eyes are pulled to it every time. Most distracting.

Does anyone have a photograph of an original split head-code Class 37 from the 1980's with the body-side groove under the grill. It's significant enough for me not to run it on the layout without renumbering.

Having identified the error my eyes are pulled to it every time. Most distracting.

The grove only applies to the first 5 locos, the cantrail grilles were different as they were removable where as the rest of the class had them as part of the bodyside. 37003 correctly has this modelled, other locos will be:

D6700 (37119, 37350)

D6701 (37001, 37707)

D6702 (37002, 37351)

D6703 (37003)

D6704 (37004)

The grove only applies to the first 5 locos, the cantrail grilles were different as they were removable where as the rest of the class had them as part of the bodyside. 37003 correctly has this modelled, other locos will be:

D6700 (37119, 37350)

D6701 (37001, 37707)

D6702 (37002, 37351)

D6703 (37003)

D6704 (37004)

Thank you for the information. It was very helpful.

I have looked at photographs of all 5 locomotives. I don't see a groove under the cantrail grilles on any of them. On the contrary I see a raised lip. This photograph rather neatly illustrates the point. http://www.rmweb.co...._298_151346.jpg

From what I see there should not be a groove on any Class 37. Am I right?

It's not really a lip, it's strapping around the grille. The 'groove' is, I think, supposed to be where the panels join.

Either way, it's not ideal is it? But if I have an exscuse for 351 I think I'll be happy.

From what I see there should not be a groove on any Class 37. Am I right?

I have not physically seen one of the new locos in the flesh to accurately assess how Bachmann have executed the grilles and how it compares with D6700-4. Irrespective of the accuracy of the model other than the first 5 the rest of the locos had no lip/grooves below the cantrail grilles

• RMweb Premium

D6700 (37119, 37350)

D6701 (37001, 37707)

D6702 (37002, 37351)

D6703 (37003)

D6704 (37004)

Well full marks to Bachmann for modeling this feature. So yet another body tooling variation!

Even if it's at the expense of the more common varient not being available?

That's what worries me, Have Bachmann changed the molding to suit 37003 which was a limited edition, and now new releases will have a groove as with 37049.

Cheers Peter.

Peter, it will just create additional work which wasn't ever necessary - I believe that what we were getting at before Mr Bluex5 chipped in!

It's odd when they have released previous versions with the two main cantrail grille varients covered; I assume they were produced by having different tool inserts, in which case they may be able to vary the grilles on the new moulding and just haven't in error in the case of 37 049 or are now to produce just the one variation.

It is always interesting reading comments about models, so when I got involved with trying to get the L/E model of 37 003 it was a learning experience.

Be in no doubt that with existing models there is push-back from Bachmann and the factory in China for changes to mouldings. We had limitations placed on us as to what was and wasn't possible with the body and the chassis. If we had tried to change things then just like the new Heljan 33's the price would have soared to way above £130+ for a normal loco at street prices; which prices many people out.

With 3 different headcode variations we sought to improve scope for modellers, and we are working to produce some detaling parts, but trust me all of the manufacturers work on commercial terms.

The numerous variations of Class 37s make it difficult for mass-prodcuing suppliers.

People like Shawplan are bringing out detailing parts to improve things; but hey they are pretty good models as they come out of the box.

Ian Simpson (Class 37 Locomotive Group Trustee)

Archived