Bachmann 37/0 pre-production shots

Andy Y

yep its good to push for a good model, but its also good to keep in mind that sometimes you can wreck your hobby. ill be buying the new 37s i just bought 37003 cant wait to get that running and i need to buy 37049, got 427 and 251 on order, they are beautifull, but it dont stop me still enjoying my older lima ones, and im a big fan of the vitrains one too,

aint it great we got the choice imagine if we had no class 37s,

thing is we should also remember that modelling means making it yourself, so for me on a return to the hobby it seems we got it all on a plate now, were as before if you wanted something you made it. or modified it, so for those who want something more do it yourself and thats another side of the satisfaction of modelling

i often read my old railway modellers for the 1970s i recomend others do its a good read and its a shocking comparison of what we had on offer then to what we have now.

it always make me gratefull for what we have now, i can remember when i percived my old Hornby 37130 as the dogs proverbeals and in some ways it still is cause it takes me back to those precious moments in the past in a different way to the gorgeous renderings we have today.

cheers rob

Not sure if this is the right place, but as it's the most recent 37 thread it'll do. While dismantling Bachmann's latest, 37 417 I noticed a change! The drive train has been redesigned slightly and this seems to have got rid of the ''rocking on the centre axle'' problem that has afflicted my last few. The main drive worm gear has also been made smaller and given a plastic cover to stop the grease spraying around the inside of the body - post-8271-0-98770900-1328438338_thumb.jpg The old design on the left, new on the right. Just shows they never stop improving, well in some areas! kev.

yes indeed they do keep doing stuff to them i noticed this on friday when i took delivery of 3 37s in one go, 37003, 37251,37427 what a great cup of tea that was!.

251 and 003 have the old type on the left and 427 had the new type on the right it makes it run alot more smooth and quiet too. good on Bachmann,.

the more 37s they make the more ill buy. cant get enough, oh and please Bachmann get some 40s done this year.

Very interesting regarding the bogies. This would also explain why the latest 37's seem to be riding about 0.5mm higher on their bogies than the older ones. I thought I was going mad! (the end of the side frame is now level with the fuel tank 'cut out' when on the older versiosn it was slightly above the cut out and therefore more prototypical). Given the model already rides slightly high, I would have thought Bachmann should be going the other way (down) not up!

Well, now we know the reason, its possible to fix if anyone wants to.

• RMweb Premium

the more 37s they make the more ill buy. cant get enough, oh and please Bachmann get some 40s done this year.

Hi rob,

Had to reply to the last line of your recent post. My sentiments entirely, especially with regard to the 40.

You clearly love both, so keep the posts coming!

Jeff

FAO Kenton and several others - they *do* exist :D

And when I look at the ever expanding midriff of my fleet (by which I mean every power group but especially Types 1, 2 and 4), I recognise that I am one!

[For the defence, and saying that, they get harvested as raw material: it's body configuration and base livery that are crucial, in that order; identity is irrelevant.]

Hi rob,

Had to reply to the last line of your recent post. My sentiments entirely, especially with regard to the 40.

You clearly love both, so keep the posts coming!

Jeff

indeed i do love them both, i love any ee beast but i am a big fan of 40s and 37s in fact i love them so much that if i had enough money id love to make a ee12csvt or ee16 engine scaled down to fit into my car so it sounds nice. that would be fun, you wouldnt get board in a traffic jam then and it would be fun to clagg down the streets. lol

• RMweb Premium

I do :D

This thread is starting to resemble one of those le Carre spy novels, with worlds within worlds! I'm glad somebody knows whats going on!

And when I look at the ever expanding midriff of my fleet (by which I mean every power group but especially Types 1, 2 and 4), I recognise that I am one!

[For the defence, and saying that, they get harvested as raw material: it's body configuration and base livery that are crucial, in that order; identity is irrelevant.]

Come on then 'CHARD, start investing in some quality type 3s to boost your configuration! Lol.

indeed i do love them both, i love any ee beast but i am a big fan of 40s and 37s in fact i love them so much that if i had enough money id love to make a ee12csvt or ee16 engine scaled down to fit into my car so it sounds nice. that would be fun, you wouldnt get board in a traffic jam then and it would be fun to clagg down the streets. lol

Cheers rob. I have always loved the 37, but if Bachmann get their act together this year I think my diesel fleet will increase significantly with the addition of a number of 40s. Fingers crossed. My credit cards are cringing!

Jeff

jeff i know what you mean, ive never owned a credit card but as i want to actually get a credit rating, never having one or a loan, it will be good to put the new credit card to the test on 37s 40s and other locos. quite fancy a baby deltic too.

not sure at what your getting at here. lol

Just an old private joke Rob, nothing against you personally - thanks for taking it in good part ;)

in fact i love them so much that if i had enough money id love to make a ee12csvt or ee16 engine scaled down to fit into my car so it sounds nice.

I know you now, you're Zontar :D

• RMweb Premium

:scratchhead:

I know you now, you're Zontar :D

Pennine, I've heard of ZoLtar (and 7 Zark 7) from the 70s cartoon "Battle of the Planets", but WHO is ZoNtar?? Please enlighten me? He wasn't the engineer who designed the Class 37 or EE type 3, was he? :scratchhead: :stinker:

Jeff

:scratchhead:

Pennine, I've heard of ZoLtar (and 7 Zark 7) from the 70s cartoon "Battle of the Planets", but WHO is ZoNtar?? Please enlighten me? He wasn't the engineer who designed the Class 37 or EE type 3, was he? :scratchhead: :stinker:

Jeff

Zontar is something of an Icon. Very big deltic fan but had some issues with a railtour company and a loco owner!

He is on Facebook and if you look for Babydeltic or powerunit406 in youtube there may be some videos about!

Ian

Just an old private joke Rob, nothing against you personally - thanks for taking it in good part ;) I know you now, you're Zontar :D

cool na im not easily offended and i like a laugh, mind explaining the joke please?.

and nope im not zontar but that dude rocks and i sure think he talks a lot of sense.

i love zonta i was just looking for his video on youtube of the class 31 clagging and he shouts "im getting effin lung cancer here" and i cant find it has it been take down by the easily offended mob. cheers rob

All the Zontar stuff has been removed from YouTube and its only on the babydeltic site which isn't safe for viewing in work or public incidently!

Has the gear chain been modified inside or it is the same arrangement just with a more rigid body that doesn't have the warping tendency. If Bachmann had gone for a straight in line gear chain it would have been a lot easier to fix the wobbly ones.

All the Zontar stuff has been removed from YouTube and its only on the babydeltic site which isn't safe for viewing in work or public incidently!

Has the gear chain been modified inside or it is the same arrangement just with a more rigid body that doesn't have the warping tendency. If Bachmann had gone for a straight in line gear chain it would have been a lot easier to fix the wobbly ones.

thats a shame it was taken off youtube ive seen much more shocking things on there, oh well, he should just open a new account and load em all back up i think.

i havent looked that closely to see if the gear train has been altered but it does run quieter and smoother im not entirely sure but i think 501 and 502 may have this new bogie, and im pretty sure 506 and 514 do too. but the 37/0s so far seem to retain the older unit,

ive not had trouble with any bachman 37 wobbling but i have had one that is a very smooth runner once its run around the track a few times but straight out the box as soon as it hits notch 2 or 3 out of 14 speed steps it gently but noticeabley lurches back and fourth back and fourth over and over, it will do this running slow out the box, then you give her a run at speep and she is fine and smooth, BUT, after a while of not running you put her back in action and the same thing happens, its like a temporary running in each time ive not found the problem yet but im hoping shes bedding in better now.

apart from that she is one of the best runners ive ever had.

ive had other 37s that seem to be jerky one way and smooth the other ive checked every thing but not sure what it is,

the worst one i must fix up is my 37410 that one does very pronounced lurching forwards and backwards and seems to pick up speed then slow then pick up speed and its noisey too, im guessing its something to do with the black plastic parts that hold the carden shaft to the fly wheel for some reason cause it runs fine the other way.

cheers rob

• 2 months later...

Bachmann had a nice green centre headcode model on display at York, I didnt get any shots and cant remember the number, I assume it is D6984 which is on the website as weathered, however the model in the cabinet wasnt weathered. Will Bachmann be releasing a green centre headcode 37 unweathered? as thats what id prefer, and does the centre headcode version have the same niggles as the split headcode version debated earlier in this thread?

cheers

Mike

• 3 months later...

Just reread this thread....I knew there was something putting me off 049 + 251.

I want to add another blue 37 to the fleet, preferably a WR one ( or renumberable to one ). The other blue one I have is kernow '142. I know that had faults as an early version (2005?), but what would be my best choice - gotta say I'm not that convinced by the nose on 49/ 251 either.

• RMweb Gold

New piccies on Bachmann site - rather nice

But a shame tha the wrong pattern lamp brackets have been perpetuated on D6984 - have messaged Bchmann to point this out, will relay response if forthcoming

Is a danger that we might have to do some modelling and change them over!

Cheers

Phil

Archived