Bachmann 37/0 pre-production shots

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Didn't the 'six-eighters' have fine-meshed frost-guards fitted over the radiator grilles when they carried green livery? I can't recollect seeing any of the Landore ones without them whilst still carrying the pre-TOPS numbering. They do look rather nice; I wonder if I can find an excuse for another?

Who needs an excuse? And yes - my memory and contemporaneous pics do indeed more than suggest they had the fine mesh frost guards when new and for some time afterwards.

this is a good prototype shot in 1967..

http://www.flickr.co...009/5646266683/

That was to become one of our 'locals' in Llanelli soon after; a lot of lower-numbered ones from the WR were swapped for higher-numbered ones from the ER. Perhaps someone here knows why? I remember these replacing 16xx panniers on the Llanelli and Mynydd Mawr; it would have been in my last couple of years at Furnace school (1965/6). They were much better than the panniers at taking long trains of empties up to Cynheidre; sadly, they were somewhat less good at stopping the loaded trains on the way down, as the level crossing gates before Old Castle bore witness.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the nice pics---far better than the ones on Hattons website. I'm rather underwhelmed by the 'weathering'.Not what I expected from previous issuing from Bachmann. What's your candid opinion ? Also the shade of green on D6984 doesn't look right. Appears a bit sickly

its not an area I would go looking for intentionally but there is a few about on flickr Im sure will have a dig,Brushveteran would be the guy to ask, there was a time when it seemed to me that green class 37 shots where very rare.

The exGER at that time was not a fashionable "location" for photographers, unfortunately. It has always been a somewhat "Cinderella" line despite the early proliferation of 31's and 37's (not to mention the "teens"), electrification (test-bed for EM1's) etc.

Best, Pete.

Didn't the 'six-eighters' have fine-meshed frost-guards fitted over the radiator grilles when they carried green livery? I can't recollect seeing any of the Landore ones without them whilst still carrying the pre-TOPS numbering. They do look rather nice; I wonder if I can find an excuse for another?

The green one comes with etched mesh frost-guards. I haven't fitted them yet.

• RMweb Premium

The factory weathering on the green one in particular is very nice I must say. Up until now whenever I have seen the words 'weathered' on the listing of a forthcoming RTR model it has made me run away very fast as there have been many that have been utterly awful. This is a definite improvement, Hornby please take note....

• RMweb Gold

and this is a nice shot..

D6876-6991 Radyr 22.7.69 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

Undoubtedly - but then it is on my old patch (or one of them) albeit a few years before I got there. Nigh unrecognisable now and no more the sound of an Aberdare man after a Saturday early finish opening up as he was put out onto the Up Main light engine - now that was a D68XX sound you never forgot;)

Undoubtedly - but then it is on my old patch (or one of them) albeit a few years before I got there. Nigh unrecognisable now and no more the sound of an Aberdare man after a Saturday early finish opening up as he was put out onto the Up Main light engine - now that was a D68XX sound you never forgot;)

I can remember seeing my first one, brand new, on Stratford shed one Sunday morning. They looked much better without the yellow splodge on the front. My favourite memory is the triple headed iron ore trains for Llanwern running through Newport as I waited for an HST back to Paddington. That was a sound to remember.

Roger

• RMweb Gold

I can remember seeing my first one, brand new, on Stratford shed one Sunday morning. They looked much better without the yellow splodge on the front. My favourite memory is the triple headed iron ore trains for Llanwern running through Newport as I waited for an HST back to Paddington. That was a sound to remember.

Roger

Oh yes those were just awesome - Cardiff Central (Or General?) used to quake at their passage.....

My first memory is of D6605 heading south through Worceester Shrub Hill on empty 16 tonners - must have been late 67 but still looked pretty well fresh & new. And the Waterston - Albion tanks with load 15 x 100 ton tanks always induced mega thrash heading north out of Shrub Hill. Those were the days when we still had a proper railway!

We have plenty of lamp irons in stock Robert to rectify the problem on ours, have alreay done it on others - need to finish renumbering D8113 to D8111 first though....

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Roger

They were rather good fun to watch and hear although I must admit I much preferred the Llanwern ore trains when they had a 42XX or 5205 at each end (it's an age thing ;) ). And yes I think the original split headcode ones did look better before the yellow panel appeared - I remember being mighty impressed by the brand new D6700 at Liverpool St - but I thought the Western ones looked nice from new with the yellow panel, sort of went nicely with the one-piece headcode box. And overall even if the nose might be a tad too long it still looks very nice and as far as I'm concerned the wires to Cornwall will be singing tomorrow.

Bill Wrights excellent photo of the prototype showing some luverly weathering.

Why do i suspect Bachmann used this photo to base the model on?

5576907353_aeebe5d823.jpg

Hi-Res R1001 by BarkingBill, on Flickr

and another of Barking Bills cracking photos. Worth checking out the High Res versions...

2138802388_1f724cd7a0.jpg

R0103 - Worcester by BarkingBill, on Flickr

Porcy

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for the nice pics---far better than the ones on Hattons website. I'm rather underwhelmed by the 'weathering'.Not what I expected from previous issuing from Bachmann. What's your candid opinion ? Also the shade of green on D6984 doesn't look right. Appears a bit sickly

Bill Wrights excellent photo of the prototype showing some luverly weathering.

Why do i suspect Bachmann used this photo to base the model on?

Porcy

Some clear differences of opinion on the weathering then.... For me, it's better than many previous attempts but sadly not as good as the Hornby Magazine L/E split headcode version.

But as for the green, I have to agree with you Ian - it looks way to light and "sickly". If Bachmann did use Bill Wright's photo as a basis, as seems likely in view of the headcode used, it's a shame they didn't copy the green. Why didn't they use the green on the latest D800 Warships or Peaks, I wonder, which look much better. Bachmann does seem to have a problem with green... IMHO it hasn't got the green right on its Mk1s either...

Coupled with the "too long" nose, I think I'll pass.

Some clear differences of opinion on the weathering then....

Hi Andrew,

I hope my post didn't give the impression I was commenting on the weathering of the model. I was just referring to how the prototype had weathered in BW's phot.

I'm in total agreement with you remarks regarding the model with the proviso I haven’t seen one in the flesh yet. I'll also be giving this version a miss preferring to chop up earlier versions.

Not perfect (the height of the marker light housings still wrong but getting there).

post-508-0-36121800-1346667098.jpg

Just personal thing with the latest release but some of my gripes are the furrow under the air intakes and Bachmann’s insistence on still using “reverse relief” for the access panels along the skirts. The bogie height and width still aren’t perfect along with the schnozzle and buffer body diameter but I think I can understand why Bachy have gone down that route.

Still… looking on the bright side, having to make all those corrections give us modellers something to do.

Porcy

Michael, Have you come across any early photos of Type 3's from 1961 (or even late 1960) on the ex. GER?

Best, Pete.

I have a small handful of my dad's b/w ones from that time. If it's worth my posting them up, I'll get them scanned!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andrew,

I hope my post didn't give the impression I was commenting on the weathering of the model. I was just referring to how the prototype had weathered in BW's phot.

I'm in total agreement with you remarks regarding the model with the proviso I haven’t seen one in the flesh yet. I'll also be giving this version a miss preferring to chop up earlier versions.

Porcy

I must have read too much into your post - that the weathering on the real loco was not carried over well onto the model.

As to the green used, I don't understand why Bachmann changes it when previous versions looked fine. Fortunately my layout is GW/SR boundary themed, so Class 37s are not "essential".

Archived