Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

A stack of rails for the new rapid transit line through Port Moody. (I didn't notice that clear view between the two rails at the top right till I was editing the picture.)

post-1771-0-73047000-1415428843.jpg

• Like 12

Just for balance, I prefer the closer, colour one, for the way the blue and white support brackets stand out, and for the shadowy figures making their way home (I imagine).

I prefer the colour one as well, for pretty much the same reasons.

Nearly on topic, the Network Rail photo competition winner has been announced at:

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/News-Releases/Birds-eye-view-of-London-Bridge-tracks-lead-to-national-photography-competition-win-21b7.aspx

A striking black and white aerial image looking down onto people boarding and alighting trains at London Bridge station, which is undergoing one of Britain's biggest station redevelopments, has won the Network Rail Lines in the Landscape Award at this year’s Take a View’s Landscape Photographer of the Year competition.

The prize was a ride in the NR helicopter or in the New Measurement Train. Which would you choose!

It's a good photo, using a classical composition, but I don't think it's particularly creative.

But I'm not completely sure what creative means in this context. I'm just seeing well composed and technically proficient. Creative would be (for me) focussing on a detail which illustrates or explains the whole, or use of light and shade to make a 'different' statement. Using a sepia filter - meh.

I wonder if the NR judges were influenced by being able to promote the London Bridge redevelopment on the back of the winning photo.

Does it even fit the theme "Lines in the Landscape" particularly well? 

And do we need a "meh" rating icon? Maybe not, just asking for trouble.

I think that area where the tracks weave past the Shard is certainly Lines in The Landscape, but a photo taken from track/street level would have shown it better.

To me it is reminiscent of the U-Bahn in Hamburg weaving through the city and passing 1st/2nd floor window levels of buildings.  Something I always found fascinating.

• RMweb Premium

Following on from Martin's post above, I've had a thought, and wondered what do other people here on RMweb think of the idea of a Creative Photography competition?

• Like 1