Strange Prototype (of what?) in East Anglia

Can I join you?

Of course! Lets make a nuisance of ourselves if it takes any longer than it did in 1968.. I'm sure if the TV people are there they'd listen. I have the last train staff for the line complete with key for the level crossings that can join the WTT on a jaunt.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I had anticipated using the busway for at least one journey as I used to work on the Cambridge Business Park (that's the one on the opposite side of Milton Road to the Science Park). I actually remember them lifting the track between Chesterton and Milton Road which ran past the back of my office building.

Would it surprise anyone that it is now 4 1/2 years ago or more that the track was lifted. In fact I no longer work in Cambridge with the company having been taken over and relocated to York. Mind you the latter is far more interesting when it comes to trains ...

• 3 weeks later...

Those responsible for this project should now offer their expertise to the Edinburgh Tram system.

As I think I posted further back, both the busway and Edinburgh are suffering from disputes between the contractor and the local authority sponsors. This type of problem can occur with all sorts of civil engineering projects and there's no particular reason why a busway is more likely to suffer this type of delay than any other transport system.

definitely a bus way, there used to be a guided bus system in leeds but is now unused

Very much still in use. See this list of busways.

As I think I posted further back, both the busway and Edinburgh are suffering from disputes between the contractor and the local authority sponsors. This type of problem can occur with all sorts of civil engineering projects and there's no particular reason why a busway is more likely to suffer this type of delay than any other transport system.

Yes, but the Cambridgeshire Guided Busway is (or rather will be) by far the longest and most ambitious scheme of its type in Britain, and Edinburgh's tram system will (or rather might) be the first modern tram system in Scotland. The travails of both have done absolutely nothing to further the cause of modern public transport. Furthermore, if the Cambridge/St Ives scheme was a railway, rather than a busway, I have no doubt at all that it would be operational now.

Perhaps local authorities should concentrate on fixing streetlights and emptying the bins, and leave complex projects to those who have some idea what they're doing.

There is a similar guided busway planned for Greater Manchester, to be specific out to Leigh. The locals generally don't seem very keen on the idea, and I've even seen it questioned whether it will be significantly faster than the existing bus route via ordinary roads. Only the politicians seem to think it's a great idea. The most positive thing I've seen written about it is that apparently it would not be too difficult to convert to Metrolink if and when the demand is proved.

I think the problem in England (particularly) is that there's a ruling-class view that anything done outside of London must be 'on the cheap'. There is little in the way of genuine long-term thinking/planning.

The travails of both have done absolutely nothing to further the cause of modern public transport.

I agree with that. We need to know if the busway is workable before too many others embark on similar schemes.

Furthermore, if the Cambridge/St Ives scheme was a railway, rather than a busway, I have no doubt at all that it would be operational now.

That doesn't follow. If they'd followed the same contractual process to deliver a railway then they'd probably have got themselves into a very similar situation, just as the Edinburgh people have with the tram. And as to heavy rail, how long did the Robin Hood line take even with all local authorities and industry bodies fully behind it?

Perhaps local authorities should concentrate on fixing streetlights and emptying the bins, and leave complex projects to those who have some idea what they're doing.

I hope you're not suggesting DfT would be a better option! Consider for example Manchester Metrolink, a much larger transport project also being run by local authorities, and shaping up to deliver pretty much what was promised.

There's usually an update of the Cambridge (mis)guided busway in RouteOne magazine, available online. I don't have a link to hand, but your search engine will find it.

How about the Millenium Doom guided busway? Designed to pass the buses so close they knocked the mirrors off as they passed..more millions wasted on THAT project!

Very much still in use. See this list of busways.

i heard that it was unused, it looks like i have misguided ears

• RMweb Premium

I hadn't realised but Luton to Dunstable is going ahead as well - what does it have in common with the Cambridgeshire busway you ask?

Well, it is on disused railway formation and it has the same contractors (BAM Nuttall) as the Cambridgeshire example ...

I hadn't realised but Luton to Dunstable is going ahead as well - what does it have in common with the Cambridgeshire busway you ask?

Well, it is on disused railway formation and it has the same contractors (BAM Nuttall) as the Cambridgeshire example ...

Think you missed off:- another waste of time/money/effort; another white elephant; (need we add to this?)

• RMweb Gold

I think the problem in England (particularly) is that there's a ruling-class view that anything done outside of London must be 'on the cheap'. There is little in the way of genuine long-term thinking/planning.

Don't fool yourself into thinking money is thrown at London projects.... They're still on the cheap - they just cost more! biggrin.gif

To see where expensive projects have their money wasted, visit any MoD or NHS establishment with a 'project' ongoing.

The works along the L&D busway are noticeable by their absence, you have plenty time to look at the weeds when sitting in Luton traffic. If ever there was a route for a Parry People Mover, this is it.

Swansea we have a busway. Now it is not guided as the busses come with a steering wheel and driver to operate it. Its a piece of tarmac on spare land, it works really well, and about the only thing they had to spend extra money on is the magic gates to stop idiots trying to use it. In future it can be cheaply converted into a road or similar as well.

Alan (doesn't get guided busways)

In future it can be cheaply converted into a road or similar as well.

Alan (doesn't get guided busways)

I don't really get them either. But road conversion is one reason why people may favour a guided rather than an unguided busway. Councils sometimes open bus lanes to general traffic moreorless on a political whim, and could easily do the same with an unguided off-road busway, thus increasing noise and pollution for the locals.

Maybe the people in Cambridge will have the chance tomorrow to get rid of the idiot councillors who commissioned this waste of money ,our councillors are spending money like its going out of fashion but at least we havent got a busway only bus lanes used a couple of times per hour.

I grew up in the locality of this busway and I too fail to recall many people being in favour of this scheme, apart from one particularly vocal local councillor who liked to have her face plastered across the front of the Hunts Post.

I remember a couple of years back that the buses intended for the busway had "I'll be on the busway soon, will you?" transfers added to their livery. I was pleased to see, on a recent visit back to the area, that these buses are still trundling about with the "Will I be on the busway soon?" transfers added more recently. :D