Embankment Road T&RSMD

Steadfast

Hi Ben,

Uncoupling just needs a downward stroke from a non magnetic item, such as a cocktail stick or bamboo skewer. Although the magnets are strong for their size, compared to a fridge magnet for example, they have very little pull, so they stay undone quite easily. Remember they're only 1mm wide! This was one of my initial worries, but as soon as I saw Jack's first hand for the first time, I was convinced

jo

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A quick update before work of a few things I've been working on over the weekend. The layout is due out again in August, so that's inspired me to crack on with some new stuff. Apologies for the poor quality pics, they're crops from  phone photos. I'll get some better ones once they have a coat of primer on them.

post-6899-0-12413200-1368447289.jpg

The cooler group uses the grill cut from a Farish HST shell, with the inner bits made from plastic sheet and strip. It's ended up a bit of an amalgamation of different designs, but unless you know the inside of HSTs intimately, it should look the part on the layout. The hacked up shell left me with a spare cab, so I did this to it:

post-6899-0-24634800-1368447290.jpg

It'll get posed like this, inside the building:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pafc/7548928310/

The pictures I found on Flickr inspired me with the cab and also provided the solution for modelling some spare wheelsets:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pafc/7843020140/

This is a Farish wheelset with some brass tube glued over the pinpoints to represent the bearing covers. The etched brake disks are from Hurst Models, and the stand is built from various grades of plastic strip. Like in the photo linked to, in the four I'm modelling, there'll be variation amongst the designs of stand.

post-6899-0-14679500-1368447291.jpg

Cabs, cooler groups and wheelsets aren't items you see modelled very often, so it's nice to do something different!

jo

• Like 10

Thanks for the comments and likes guys, I'll try for some better shots once some paint is on, as I said earlier. White plastic isn't the easiest think to photograph!

If it all goes to plan, I should have some rolling stock updates soon too

jo

• Like 1

Jo.

I'm really interested in your magnetic couplings as it vastly improves the look of your stock and was wondering how you are finding the reliability, strength(how much canbe pulled and stay together) and if it could cope with 9' radius.

Regards

Carl

• Like 1

Hi Carl,

The train in the picture is the longest one I've had running on test, it's two magnets on the TTA tank coupled to the 66's brake pipes made from staples, as per http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68676-jos-n-gauge-loco-works/?p=992927

post-6899-0-28395600-1368569618_thumb.jpg

The brake pipe on the TTA is a development of what's seen on the mk1s further up the page, instead of a 'thread' elastic, it's a plastic like single strand material used in jewellery making, discovered by my mum in a local craft shop. The double strength magnets give extra strength during jerky starts and the 'pipe' material is sturdy enough to allow for propelling without buffer locking. The test train is seen on 9 inch curves, and the Freightliner HHA has very stiff axles, so with freer rolling wagons you could achieve longer trains easily and I could have here, if I'd had more stock to hand at the time.

The coupling is at present vastly over length, as it's a development piece, all I can say is experiment with different wagons and see what works, what doesn't. On the original wagons Jack showed me, he had various lengths depending on the different wagons, for example a brake van had shorter 'pipes' than a VGA van.

Hope this helps,

jo

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

Cheers Daryl, it's something different!

Here's a couple of photos of the work so far

post-6899-0-72414800-1375570369_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-52297700-1375570379_thumb.jpg

I've since primed and begun painting these details, photos of which soon

The Mk1 bogie is from the blue riband Farish mk1s, with added strut work and dynamo. The dynamo even has a belt made from Tamiya masking tape.

jo

Edited by ewsjo
  • Like 8

A quick update before work of a few things I've been working on over the weekend. The layout is due out again in August, so that's inspired me to crack on with some new stuff. Apologies for the poor quality pics, they're crops from  phone photos. I'll get some better ones once they have a coat of primer on them.

attachicon.gif2013-05-12-347.jpg

The cooler group uses the grill cut from a Farish HST shell, with the inner bits made from plastic sheet and strip. It's ended up a bit of an amalgamation of different designs, but unless you know the inside of HSTs intimately, it should look the part on the layout. The hacked up shell left me with a spare cab, so I did this to it:

attachicon.gif2013-05-12-351.jpg

It'll get posed like this, inside the building:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pafc/7548928310/

The pictures I found on Flickr inspired me with the cab and also provided the solution for modelling some spare wheelsets:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pafc/7843020140/

This is a Farish wheelset with some brass tube glued over the pinpoints to represent the bearing covers. The etched brake disks are from Hurst Models, and the stand is built from various grades of plastic strip. Like in the photo linked to, in the four I'm modelling, there'll be variation amongst the designs of stand.

attachicon.gif2013-05-13-354.jpg

Cabs, cooler groups and wheelsets aren't items you see modelled very often, so it's nice to do something different!

jo

Like the cooler group and cab Jo.

Don't forget to paint the group pipework blue, cabs are very topical at the moment as it happens.

Look forward to seeing the layout at Plymouth next weekend.

E

• Like 1

Cheers for the tip off with the cooler group colours. I'll put the finishing touches to that in the week then.

The inspiration for the cab has Apollo 13 chalked on the side of it, not sure it'd be readable in N mind you!

I'll try to get some photos up of today's work in the morning

jo

So here's a few quick photos of 'new stuff' that will be appearing on Saturday.

The wheels still need a bit more brown and brake discs adding. The one wheel set with brake discs will be a new wheel set awaiting fitting.

post-6899-0-19571900-1375782007_thumb.jpg

A small shed based on one at Laira. The photo I have shows batteries inside it on pallets, I've adapted things a bit to include bags of sand too due to a shortage of pallets and the thought of chopping loads of plastic strip into small squares!

post-6899-0-85585900-1375782019_thumb.jpg

Finally the mk1 bogie. It's still needs a bit if weathering and a coat of Matt varnish, but I'm quite pleased with it and it is something different

post-6899-0-93330100-1375782067_thumb.jpg

jo

• Like 6

Well yesterday we managed to photograph a whole one china clay train in Cornwall. Did get it twice though, so every cloud and all that!

The layout is all set up, so we'll be off in a sec to go and do the final few bits before the show opens.

jo

• Like 1

Cheers Tom, the show is at Plymouth, so we're going to see what we can see driving past the real thing later on

jo

In that case not a chance of me getting my parents to take me to Plymouth