RMweb

Web Names

• RMweb Gold

is there really any point in me replying to this at all?

Evidently you and I both think so! My surname is Dudley, 'cos my father's was. Simple, huh? Nah. On the day he died I went to register his death - and found documents showing he'd changed his name 44 years before, in 1938! No idea why. Colleagues in Redhill - later Croydon - Control called me Dudders, and then someone called me Old Dudders, so that's who I am in cyberspace. After all, the guy who called me Old Dudders - his dad was SM at London Bridge! Now that's cred!

• RMweb Premium

Ramrig - Ram, well being from Derby and following the local team. Rig, I am a very big fan of the Scottish Rock band Runrig, have been since 1988, and their followers are known as "Riggies". Put the two together and you have Ramrig.......... Simples.

28XX. IMHO George Jackson Churchward's most elegant and graceful engine. "Too pretty for a goods engine" (I must find out where this quote comes from) The epitome of "form follows function". Proportions sadly ruined by adding a Collett cab.

Well, oddly enough nothing to do with my Avatar :P

Before the invention of t'Interweb, I idled my spare time away playing the arcade game 'Star Wars'. If you were good you could invest several hours in this pursuit for only 10p and the high score table was more or less permanent so it became important to have an identifiable three letter 'name' for lesser players to be jealous of. I chose 'Roj' as it was a shortening of my given name and also the name of the lead character in the TV series Blake's 7.

Then my spare time came to a sudden end (it wasn't really 'spare' - I was supposed to be at lectures) and I had to join the real world. The only skill I had was working with computers, which was a bit of a paying hobby at the time. I needed to keep the hobby separate from the proper work and so I needed a commercial identity for it. I made the small leap from the Star Wars hi-score name to 'Morphaniel' by looking into the obscurer corners of Blake's 7 lore...

...Morphaniel is the planet where the character Jenna is last reported to have been heard from after the galaxy invasion that ends series 2. As well as being obscure there is a certain 'heavy metal' flavour to the name which I like.

Morphaniel Productions became a runaway commercial success, eventually being bought out by Microsoft for several billion pounds - :blink: sorry, the imagination kicked in then! In reality it has become a twenty year old nom de plume on the Internet and elsewhere and I imagine I am wedded to it for life now.

• RMweb Gold

Stubby47 - I was working in Maidstone, when one of my colleagues started to call me Stu-bee. The 47 is my birthday, 4th July, but at the moment is also my age...

So it's not Stub-by, as you may think :) (although I am only 5'8 1/2")

• 4 weeks later...

If any younger Rmwebbers need an explanation, "It is I, the famous Bluebottle!" was the signal for the biggest cheer from the "Goon Show" audience as one of Peter Sellers' most famous creations took to the airways. The vainglorious boy scout was regularly outwitted by the rest of the show's weird and wonderful range of characters, struggling even to hold his own with the sublimely idiotic Eccles. Yet, no matter how many times he was "dedded", he would return, enthusiasm undiminished, an inspiration for all!

• RMweb Gold

Thought I'd let you into the secrets of my username.

46444 was an Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0, one of my favourite classes of locos. She was heavily associated with the the Kettering-Cambridge line (being a Kettering 15B shedded loco) which is my main modelling interest. I have a Bachmann Ivatt renumbered as her along with some of her Kettering sisters.

As for my avatar picture, well that's the beautifull Cara Dillon. See my links at the bottom of the page. She's attractive and has the most gorgeous vocals on her mix of contemporary and classical folk music. Well worth seeing live if you get a chance.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Simples,

When I registered i had just returned to modelling and was building an S&D branch........

By the time I plucked up enough courage to post anything I was modelling post privatisation. Current project: 70/80's North Devon, soon to start a late 60's ScR jobby. Chances of ever gettting to model S&D again............

Minimal: :rolleyes:

Cheers Matt

• RMweb Gold

I was Barry Boy when I first signed up on Rmweb (being born in Barry), then when we had to re-register a lot of the members came back on with different, or slightly altered web names, so I became Barry Yob for a period. The next time I had to pick another name I kept with the thrilling Barry theme and named myself after the "Barry Ten" group of locomotives. I have since used Barry Ten for registering on a couple of American forums.

What's sad is that I occasionally have to remind myself that I'm not really called Barry...

Mine was chosen from Online gaming, when i suddenly realised Dolop wouldn't be overly acceptable, so a break down, Sam is my name, killer is what would generally do in game (Battlefield 2) and 42 was just a random number, with no real relation with anything or any one.

Sam

Back in the old days of the internet, I decided to retain a thin veneer of anonymity by having a name for fora and messageboards that lacked my surname. Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think judging by how they refer to me, even in person, my surname is not 'Emily' though my middle name is. Jenny Emily was therefore just my first and second names. Also, my surname - Kirk - always seems to be taken by Trekkies.

'Jenny Emily' never seems to be taken when I sign up for things, and my poor old weary brain doesn't feel inclined to be continually reinventing witty handles to post under, because I'd only forget them.

I have loved cycle racing since I was abiut 6. When I was setting up my account Bradley Wiggins was trying towin multiple goldmedals at the Beijing olympics, soI made up the username "wiggoforgold".

My avatar is Mark Cavendish winning (yet another) race. As this happens quite often,my avatar is changed quite a lot.

If any younger Rmwebbers need an explanation, "It is I, the famous Bluebottle!" was the signal for the biggest cheer from the "Goon Show" audience as one of Peter Sellers' most famous creations took to the airways. The vainglorious boy scout was regularly outwitted by the rest of the show's weird and wonderful range of characters, struggling even to hold his own with the sublimely idiotic Eccles. Yet, no matter how many times he was "dedded", he would return, enthusiasm undiminished, an inspiration for all!

Oddly enough, that is my name in another, non-railway-related forum! I chose the name probably for the same reasons you did!! :D

As for SRman, it was a toss-up between SRman and LTman as those are my chief areas of interest. Probably rather pretentious of me as there are plenty of people out there with more expertise than me in either of those fields!! My avatar is of a couple of my LT models so puts it at odds with the name but hey, anyone who can also call themselves Bluebottle is open for contradictions anyway (sorry Blunebontle)! ;)

Archived