Come Froth with me! 4mm Sheerness Scrap Steel Wagons

finelines

• RMweb Premium

During a conversation with a friend he suggested that I did a Sheerness bogie scrap wagon, to which I responded it’s far too long for me. He pointed out that the side ribbing would allow me to hide a join in the sides behind one of them. So just as an experiment, I’m floating the idea to see what you think.

Roger

I plan on building A LOT of these for my N gauge layout (to run alongside kit built SSAs from, you know, a certain source ;)). I don't see how what you're proposing is radically different from Cambrian making the deck of their BBA kit in two sections.

Obviously, it's the wrong scale, mind :D

Jim

• RMweb Gold

During a conversation with a friend he suggested that I did a Sheerness bogie scrap wagon, to which I responded it’s far too long for me. He pointed out that the side ribbing would allow me to hide a join in the sides behind one of them. So just as an experiment, I’m floating the idea to see what you think.

Roger

Would it be these Roger ? I think that you'd have a good market there. I'd certainly have some.

The thing that's exercising me most about these is how to fit a coupler when the overhang at each end of the wagon is so huge. The distance from the buffer beam (somehow "headstock" never seems right when applied to modern wagons) to the bogie pivot is 3692mm on the prototype, which is over 12 feet. There's going to be a lot of coupler displacement on any sort of curve.

Jim

As a former North Kent resident with many memories of these in block trains (not quite as much fun as 40+ MCV's though !) an emphatic YES PLEASE.

It might be an idea to start with the original 6 wagons converted from the flats wagons - they were slight smaller and have lots of joint hiding bracing. Once saw the entire nose and cab of a Class 45 / 46 sticking out of the top of one of these on its way to Sheerness for conversion to "re-bar" - very sad :(

Photo of one at the usual Paul Barlett site

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p59112720.html

Gents,

if you contact Appleby Model Engineering they Produce a 4mm Sheerness Scrap Wagon and Transfers as well

Hi All,

The Appleby kit is for the JX029A dia wagons with the 'short' body, No's. 3100 - 3129 running on Schleirien bogies.

Roger ( IIUC? ) is looking at doing the body style for dia JX029b/c/d wagons, that are 'full length' bodies and in the following No's

3130 - 3139 JX029B running on Schleirien bogies ..

3140 - 3149 JX029C running on Gloucester Lightwieght MK4 bogies ..

and ..

3150 - 3159 JX029D running on Gloucester Cast bogies.

The 'hide the joint behind the rib' is a great idea if it means these will hit the tool stage and then the shelves and I would be up to having a few 029C & 029D versions ( converted a 029A to A 029B by rebuilding the last panel section at each end to extend it to the bufferbeam on an Appleby kit ).

One request though please Roger,

Could we have a fold up etched sub frame for the bogie with detailed sides to attach please, :D , makes it so much easier to build for everyone

Mike

P.S. any more news on the 'Sea Urchin' at all ?

Archived