1:76 Dalek's?

br-nse-fan

So, we have the TARDIS... has anyone come across 'OO' scale (or close to it) Daleks?

I saw a while ago, someone had made a small Stargate model and hidden it away in a forested corner. Looked good, and adds a neat touch to the layout.

Hoping to accomplish something similar.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

• Like 1

A while back somone produced some cast whitemetal daleks for wargaming with. I think they were in 28mm scale which is roughly right for 00 gauge.

http://www.blacktree...02&bestseller=Y

In fact there's a massive range of Doctor Who monsters - even the Voord and the Kandyman are there. And the extremely cool looking special weapons Dalek.......

I have some of these white metal daleks (and other figures) but I think they are a little large for OO. That hasn't stopped me using them occasionally on my layout or dioramas, just for a bit of fun.

I am also not averse to posing a blue Ford Anglia with white roof and stripe in a tree on occasions ... :lol:

the nearest i came to was a small dalek produced as a toy, it was kinda like kinder eggs, they were sold at tescos in a box and you didnt know what was inside until you opened it, luck was on my side and i got a gold dalek, cut of its stand upto the base of the dalek and you have a roughly 1:76 scale dalek. looks good next to the tardis! ill post a picture later today

• RMweb Premium

A while back somone produced some cast whitemetal daleks for wargaming with. I think they were in 28mm scale which is roughly right for 00 gauge.

But strictly speaking, do these have to be the same scale as humans? If Dr Who can explain away everything else (including things that were in previous series not possible, yet now are fair game)? This includes the serious matter of self defence for the TARDIS, yet each story line now presents a brand new threat to the TARDIS.

A 20% variation in scale ratio, would appear to be a minute problem.

Kevin Martin

Very tempting, and they're a reasonable price too. what scale do 28mm figures actually equate to? The monsters might have a bit of leeway on scale, but how accurate to OO would the Doctor and his companions actually look? Could they be blended in with a crowd of other OO figures or stand next to the Skaledale TARDIS without looking odd?

• RMweb Gold

Very tempting, and they're a reasonable price too. what scale do 28mm figures actually equate to? The monsters might have a bit of leeway on scale, but how accurate to OO would the Doctor and his companions actually look? Could they be blended in with a crowd of other OO figures or stand next to the Skaledale TARDIS without looking odd?

Not sure on the scale equation but they would be too big for 00. 28mm means that an average sized human figure would stand 28mm high. 20mm is much closer to 1:76 scale.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Another source of models and figures suitable for 1/76 scale is Micromodels, their motorcycles in particular. They produced many models tied to TV characters including Dr. Who but these are sought after by collectors and may be expensive. As well as the above they made an Isetta bubble car that is a very accurate representation and is closer to 1/76 than the Cararama one and they also made a couple of frogmen with articulated limbs. You can find them on e-bay but they don't come up very often.

I made a couple of Daleks to sneak onto my fathers layout when he was on holiday.

Used bic biro tops as the base, if you cut it in the right place it gives a very good interpretation of the shape of the bottom half of a Dalek and build from there, at normal viewing distance they really look the part.

A 28mm figure would be a scale 7ft tall in 4mm scale, 20mm would make it 5ft but is probably the better size.

I have a set of the black tree daleks linked in a previous post, painted up as original daleks, 2 silver with blue spots, 1 red with black, 1 black with silver and a gold with black spots.

The only thing I need now is a suitable 'Doctor' figure, and then which one??

Whilst the daleks may be a bit big, most people don't seem to notice, added to which the real ones are big.

There is a photo 3/4 of the way down my layout thread on the previous rmweb:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23685&start=25

Mike

7ft is probably about right for a Cyberman!

Ah but if the cybermen are tall than the standard human figures then you will probably have an 8-9' scale cyberman.

Either way I agree with the above point that it probably would not show too much. The eye is very good at noticing discrepancies between objects that are meant to be the same size, not the same scale. It has a hard time noticing the discrepancy between different types of object (passengers being slightly out of scale for example). It has an even harder time when the objects in question are not encountered every day (anyone encountering Daleks on a regular basis either works for the BBC or needs their medication adjusting ;)).

In short I think that Daleks being overscale by 20% will not really show since we are not used to seeing Daleks getting on trains anyway.

A 28mm figure would be a scale 7ft tall in 4mm scale, 20mm would make it 5ft but is probably the better size.

I have a set of the black tree daleks linked in a previous post, painted up as original daleks, 2 silver with blue spots, 1 red with black, 1 black with silver and a gold with black spots.

The only thing I need now is a suitable 'Doctor' figure, and then which one??

Whilst the daleks may be a bit big, most people don't seem to notice, added to which the real ones are big.

There is a photo 3/4 of the way down my layout thread on the previous rmweb:

http://www.rmweb.co....=23685&start=25

Mike

They look great, and yes.. they are a little big.. but hidden off in a corner, chasing the Doctor.. who cares!?

Now to convince my wife that they are 'needed' for the layout.. ;)

Anyone really concerned can try to track down the old Citdel Miniatures plastics produced in the 1980s. These are quite a bit smaller than the current models and came 2 to a sprue with 2 cybermen.

Here is a pic of the Dalek range with the Citadel Dalek far left (and noticibly smaller).

dalekcompare1.rs

Here is a pic of the sprue.

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?PHPSESSID=847a201a4f85568a3b75516ad3c7ee32&topic=15304.15

Ebay is probably the best bet if you are seriously concerned about scale, otherwise the Black Tree models aer easily available and should satisfy most people looking to include an amusing cameo in their layout.

Now how about in N gauge?????

So, we have the TARDIS... has anyone come across 'OO' scale (or close to it) Daleks?

I have some small plastic kit build Daleks that measure 25mm high which is around 1:60 scale - which makes them a little larger than OO/4mm but fairly close. I got them on ebay a few years ago - you may be able to find some more for sale;

post-33-092038000 1285085240_thumb.jpg

post-33-054364600 1285083904_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 1

I saw a while ago, someone had made a small Stargate model and hidden it away in a forested corner. Looked good, and adds a neat touch to the layout.

Hoping to accomplish something similar.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

I don't have a clue about any model daleks but I just love your avatar…spot on! :P

• RMweb Premium

If you want a TV camera and crew shooting a scene take a look at the offerings from Subbuteo. These are 1/76 scale to go with their tabletop soccer/rugby/cricket games. They also made spectator figures, most with long scarfs but these were seated figures. If you are a Morcambe and Wise fan they even made two old men sitting in deck chairs! (Cricket spectators). Subbuteo is now only limited production but can be found on e-bay.

I've just spotted these on e-bay. Item # 380270882436

I think they are a little large, as the typical Dalek is shorter than the 'average' man... the Games Workshop ones are a little closer, but still too large.

I've currently watching / bidding on these : 190447669453 & 310253994253

Thanks for the heads up however!