Hallenby (Including Little Hallenby)

60026to

Cheers chaps.

One of my many plans was to make Hallenby into a station with 3 platforms ie slightly move the freight relief loop nearer to the platform of course this would mean that I would have to remove the fencing/bridge/shelter and 'dig up' the weeds and probably re-lay the platform surface so my thinking was if I do that I may aswell go the whole hog and replace everything.

Now though as I stated earlier I may not bother and just play trains instead but I suppose its good to have all these ideas and thoughts even if it takes years to actually make them happen or not at all :blink:

post-7575-0-49569100-1295386240_thumb.jpg

post-7575-0-62048000-1295386271_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Right the, I did decide to give Hallenby 3 platform edges so over the last couple of days I have been busy ripping up the goods relief line and the old platform 2.

Surprisingly the old track came up a lot easier than I thought it would and after a short space of time new underlay was in place and 2 and a bit lengths of Peco Concrete Code 75 were in its place.

The old disused siding to the left of the goods relief had to go as it really was a waste of space and has meant that the retaining wall will have to be re-newed and moved (International Models Dark Grey retaining walls have been earmarked for this) nearer to the new bi-directional mainline.

Hopefully the following pics will describe it better than I'm doing now.

post-7575-0-32543600-1296164493_thumb.jpg

post-7575-0-61924000-1296164523_thumb.jpg

post-7575-0-30367300-1296164555_thumb.jpg

post-7575-0-28174100-1296164589_thumb.jpg

post-7575-0-56894600-1296164621_thumb.jpg

post-7575-0-18373700-1296164660_thumb.jpg

The Peco edging has also been moved giving me a slightly wider platform.

Cheers for now.

• RMweb Premium

Wow Matt that must have been difficult decision after you got it looking just right? I'm sure you'll be happier in the end though and does the removal of the redundant siding make room for the low level platform you talked about in the past perhaps?;)

Hiya Ian,

Its been on my mind for ages to do something for the station and my little tinkering session a couple of weeks ago was just for the very short term.

Yes regarding the low level station plans it could still happen but the platform could only really be the length of a two car DMU and I'm not altogether sure that it would look right and also what about the access to the high level. The Int. Models retaining wall is a definate though as I am very impressed with Scott's on his layout.

The pics that I posted earlier were taken with a small Fuji compact and not my usual camera so they are not that good and plus I rushed them a tad and the 66 featured on platform 2 has a small bogie issue, being that the wheels don't turn :angry: but fear not plans are in place for a brand new bogie from ebay :)

I hope to have the platform surface in situ by early February and all detailed up and ready for purpose so Hallenby will have 3 platforms but as we all know things don't always go to plan.

Many thanks for all the intrest that is shown.

Cheers guys ;)

Cheers Lewis.

Just a little update (but no pics just yet)

I managed to put the platform down on platforms 2/3. I used Daler Board yet again stuck down with UHU glue and it looks okay. I bottled out of painting the white lines on the edge of the platforms though, thats for another day :blink:

The ballasting of the bi-directional line seems to have gone alright and is now ready for some very light weathering, detailing wise for the platform will have to wait for now as new lamps/benches etc have yet to be sourced.

As I stated earier in my thread my new Bachmann 66532 now re-numbered 66505 (the first ever FL 66 I saw) had what I thought was a bogie problem, not so as its definately been idenified as a major power unit failure (a new motor is being sent from Wakefield) so not only is 66505 the newest recruit on Hallenby its also fast becoming one of the most expensive too.

Monday is my next day off so hopefully I can take some new pics of progress, it would be nice to feature yet another new recruit ie a Class 70 but what with the FL 66 debarcle funds are very, very low :angry: and I don't think the Mainline Traction Fleet Manager (the wife) would be best pleased with yet another loco request :P

Cheers for now.

Matt.

• RMweb Premium

I bottled out of painting the white lines on the edge of the platforms though, thats for another day :blink:

Funny you should say that I spent an hour last Sunday doing just that and then added yellow lines as well! Look forward to the pics as always.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a little update as to what been going on over the last couple of days.

Good news 66505 has now been accepted into the revenue earning fleet on Hallenby, a brand new motor was sent from Wakefield and the fitters proceeded to install and everything is fine. It only took three weeks to solve and remedy the problem (note to self: If something doesn't work when new just take it back)

Probably the best news is that we have a totally new class of locomotive, that being a superb Bachmann Class 70

post-7575-0-00451800-1297727811_thumb.jpg

Now back to the platforms:

When I fitted the new surface it must have slightly pushed out one of the platform ramps as the brake wheels on my Dapol Megafrets would catch on the ramps. My mate Stanley was put to work and I trimmed part of the ramp away (platform 2 side), not ideal but it will do.

post-7575-0-32957600-1297727877_thumb.jpg

This image shows the ballast, Woodland Scenics Medium Buff, I still have to lightly weather the ballast and get some cable trunking I may make my own yet, not sure.

post-7575-0-11038500-1297727920_thumb.jpg

As with the previous platform this end has been left to nature, the fencing has been 'wood stained' and when I get around to sorting platform 1 the bridge will probably be shortened.

post-7575-0-80513100-1297727953_thumb.jpg

And to finish the storage yards with one or two items of modern stock :P

post-7575-0-23511000-1297727984_thumb.jpg

Of course they is still plenty to do but we're getting there, cheers for looking.

• RMweb Premium
cable trunking I may make my own yet, not sure.

Go on you know you want to!:)

I knocked mine up from cardboard and once its laid and almost buried in the ballast with weathering no one will ever tell, except I've just told everyone!;)

New platform looks good by the way, not sure about the new traction though, make sure you don't drop it.:D

Go on you know you want to!:)

I knocked mine up from cardboard and once its laid and almost buried in the ballast with weathering no one will ever tell, except I've just told everyone!;)

New platform looks good by the way, not sure about the new traction though, make sure you don't drop it.:D

Thats what I thought Ian going down the cardboard route with some broken bits with cables visable.

The greenery on the ends needs toning down a tad and plenty of other details added too.

Next train day will be Friday only three working days to go...

Cheers.

• 3 months later...

Come on then Matt, how's that revised station coming along then??

So-so...

Hi Ian, would you Adam and Eve-it I was taking a few snaps this Sunday on the progress or lack of it, on Hallenby

and I can now upload them on here.

post-7575-0-51967800-1306795387_thumb.jpg

As you can see I have managed to get some things done, namely the platforms have their mandatory white edging line which was done with a white marker pen. I have even added some old platform lamps which have been painted blue and black. These lamps are non-working though.

A few more station name/platform signs have also been added. I suppose the biggest omission is the lack of the yellow lines on the platforms, I have tried do make them out of yellow insulation tape but my efforts so far have proved to be a bif naff but they will be done at some point.

post-7575-0-07489300-1306795904_thumb.jpg

56059 is held on platform 3 with its ballast train formed of Dapols disappointing JNAs and out of shot Bachmanns superb JJAs. I have tried to improve the JNAs with painting of the insides and adding a ballast load a slight weathering would/should also improve them but again thats for another day.

Wills' cable trunking has been installed and a new retaining wall has yet to be sourced.

post-7575-0-28319900-1306796286_thumb.jpg

Moving away from the station lots of things have been happening.

The two low level mainlines have gone and plans are in place to do something that I should have done in the first place.

The above pic now shows what will be the road entrance to the service depot.

post-7575-0-49494900-1306796502_thumb.jpg

The new location of the low level mainlines will be where the tunnel mouth is and the two rakes of wagons roughly show the route of the tracks. My old service depot building may be re-used and of course various other depot details will be added. The service depot area will only have 4 tracks this is so the scene is not to cluttered.

Rail access to the depot will only be from the line on the far left of this image ( the left hand turnout can just be seen.)

post-7575-0-79271100-1306796919_thumb.jpg

And finally back to the station and we are lucky enough to spot a DRS loco convoy passing through platform 1 heading for Bristol.

As you can see there is still plenty to do. This should keep me busy for a while yet.

Cheers for now.

• RMweb Premium

Hello again Matt, sorry if I rushed your update I was just curious!

The station area has certainly moved forward and is looking great again but blimey you've had a rethink on the rest of it!

What made you rip up the lower level tracks, and I thought you had decided against a depot in favour of wagon sidings?

I'll get a pictuire of my platform with the yellow lines on it for you and the source of the self adhesive pack that I used later. ( msim I think).

• RMweb Premium

Evening Matt.

Picture shows my platform with the yellow lines added, these are self adhesive and are in roughly 20cm sections and can also be used as road markings. Unfortunately they are not available any more but there is a pack that is similar from Ten Commandments.

http://www.cast-in-s.../shop/index.htm

post-6922-0-20135500-1306874165_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps.

Cheers Ian for the pic of your platform very useful (looking good too)

One of the reasons for removing the LL mainlines is that it didn't look right and I should have put the tracks closer to the high level in the first place I suppose thats where planning comes in handy.

I'm not altogether sure when I will get around to installing the LL tracks hopefully this year but who knows.

I did say last year that I was going to have a yard instead of a depot but yes you've guessed it my plans have change yet again and besides the old LL lines were a tad rough in places so instead of trying to patch things up it seemed more logical to start again.

Cheers,

Matt.

• 5 weeks later...

Well I suppose its time for an update.

Over the last month or so there has been quite a lot of activity on the layout. Low level mainlines are back in situ and I am very happy with the look of them. Weathering and ballasting of the tracks is for a later date.

post-7575-0-89924500-1309474420_thumb.jpg

The service depot has also been added. I had planned to buy one of the new Bachmann versions but as always I missed out and I think the next batch will not be available until December so my olde Pikestuff HO shed is making do for now. I have recently bought a few items of Bachmann depot stuff, namely the oil storage tanks , fuel point and portacabins.

The depot scene is looking a little cramped than I imagined but things could still change as the track is only lightly pinned down.

post-7575-0-54404500-1309474886_thumb.jpg

The retaining wall in the above pic was rescued from a previous loft layout and surprisingly fits perfectly into its new home. There is still plenty of things to do though.

post-7575-0-42411000-1309475149_thumb.jpg

Of course its just not all about my building time in the loft I do treat myself now and then B)

post-7575-0-66938900-1309475319_thumb.jpg

Yes it doesn't really suit my period of modelling but I think that it is probably the best looking Hornby 60 ever, I really like it.

An added bonus with this 60 is that I always said to myself 'nothing with traction tyres or pre 1998 electric flashes' would be used on the layout but with 60033 I'll make an exception. Not so as the model does carry the newer style of flashes where as the image on the box has pre 1998.

Just another quick pic of my ever growing intermodal stock. 66505 has charge of a mixture of Hornby, Real Track and Dapol 'modals as pet loco 60033 hauls a healthy rake of Bachmann Tarmac JGAs.

post-7575-0-29997200-1309476398_thumb.jpg

Anyways people as always its been a pleasure.

Matt.

• RMweb Premium

Looking good (again!) Matt.;)

I like the way the tracks curve from the back to the front of the depot area, do they then dive under at the same bridge as before below the station?

I have to agree with Ian, Matt.. Its looking good as is the 60.. The curves do look good.

When I first looked at the depot photo I thought it looked quite spacious, I wouldn't describe it as cramped.. Its not as if you have put as many tracks in as possible to fill the space.

Keep up the good work mate.

Scott

That new 60 is very nice indeed. I popped into my local model shop today and had a look at it. Even though it's not in the right scale for me I was still very tempted rolleyes.gif. Luckily I controlled myself though.

I've enjoyed reading through this thread and I can't wait to see more. It's looking very nice indeed.

Tom N.

Archived