Warley NEC 2010

Penlan

I think I heard him whilst walking back to the NEC station, moaning that there weren't enough trainset type layouts and the standard of the modelling was too good. Maybe the organisers will consider a demonstration of how to de-fluff a Triang Jinty chassis and feature more layouts from the 1975 book of track plans, as they are clearly out of touch with the Punters....

I womder if that was the numpty who can't find a decent train shop anywhere that deals with his Triang equipment - and had a go at Trains4U?

Here it is... Personally I have always found that trying to operate layouts at more or less scale speed (give or take a few miles per hour) is quite relaxing............

I don't have a problem with scale speeds as such, it's the sweeping generalisation of "....run at 5mph...", my figures above are to try and show just how slow that is.

My other tables are on the basis of a set time - say 10 secs - and how far at a certain speed speed the model would have moved.

I was a numbers anorak :blink:

BTW 7013, my operators seem to go hell for leather, I've tried to induce into them prototype practices, such as it will be more than 2 seconds from a home signal being pulled off, to the train passing it, or on the single line section, tokens have to exchanged, the signal man pull/release levers, tokens in the machines, log book, bell codes to adjacent boxes and run walk back down the steps and hand over another token to the crew(s) etc. etc. OR, it's easier just to let them play trains, for I would rather a happy operating crew than long faces over correct proceedures and no suger in my coffee.........

I didn't have a camera with me for the lunches either, but, yes they were great, vegetables slightly rare for me, but otherwise, luvly jubly.

My lunch was great too but only being a Society exhibitor (even though we awarded a prize!) we had to bring our own food and drink. :huh:

Loved your layout though and it was was highly regarded when we were judging the signalling of it. It was a difficult decision as to which layout actually won and caused us on the SRS stand a bit of debate as there was a lot of good signalling/operation about.

....Penlan - SPAD or not, that railcar is a beautiful model

As would have been seen, it's a work in progress :( , the window glass, seats, figures, pluse engine room bits and pieces all have yet to be added - it's been in this state for about 20 years - However following some very kind remarks both here and over the weekend, I think some progress will soon be seen on this model.

The Railmotor motor is a DS10 fitted with a flywheel, that has made a big difference to smooth running, plus pick-up from all wheels both on the motor unit and the rear bogie - 8 wheel pick-up.

All glazing (bar the goods shed roof lights - not done by me, but is begining to irritate) is done with 5 thou 'microscope glass cover slip', made by Chance Propper Ltd at Smethwick, I had mine from a Vet some 30 years ago, but I understand they are still available. I cut the glass with a diamond tipped glass enscriber, also courtesy of my Vet...

I noted numerous layouts around the hall had a 'Highly Commended' slip of paper from the Signalling Records Society, did they award a proper (top) prize to anybody - both Aberdare and Penlan had the slips of paper - some ribaldry and rivalry there.....:)

Penlan

As one of the team who judged the layout signalling and operation we did award a proper (top) prize to Midhurst. This was quite a difficult decision and was made on the basis that although they had modelled a real location and altered the track layout it had been done in a convincing manner and with regard to prototypical rules etc. The way a layout was operated (not whether it was DCC or DC) also made an impact- did the operators know how to move the stock around etc- alot of the ground that Frank Dyer covered in his series in MRJ a few years ago.

I think we had about 5 'highly commended' layouts in total.

Hopefully next year we will not miss the programme printing deadline so will get mentioned in there!

Thanks Kris. Here's one last batch of clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOtS32Mpc5s

The Mumby Lumber Company

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EcMxay9Hwc

Havnegade - one of two Danish layouts at Warley, the first time I've seen any depicting that part of the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT67f6_fBWM

Larpool and Easington

Paul

• RMweb Premium

More videos of the individual layouts on Saturday...

Herculaneum Dock

- nice video - it even shows some of my stock.

Mike Edge, Nicktoix and others did a great job turning lots of etching into a very detailed LOR. I hope to get a chnace to do a bit of gentle weathering on it in the near future.

The layout standards this year were good - the food was good and the accommodation was good - but as Penlan said between Cardiff, Leeds, Manchester, Somerset and other areas of the country we drank them dry on Friday.....

I often wonder though about people viewing layouts at Shows - much amusement on Herculaneum to here it being descibed as being in Chicago and/or Glasgow..... and one gent said - so you don't like building trees - it doesn't look real...... not many trees in pre 1956 Liverpool Docks.....

a good weekend - some nice models, some very nice people and lots of ideas.....

• RMweb Gold

My parents went too and I sent my mother over to see Herculaneum as she remembers the overhead railway from childhood visits to Liverpool. She thought it was very good and exactly how she remembers it. Industrial archeology is one of her interests so she knows what she's talking about. Very good layout with lots going on.

The only downside (well there has to be something!!) the Premier Inn at Shirley, OK the Beefeater next door, had our first round of drinks on the Friday, Waddies 6X, and they ran out, we were offered Tetley SmoothFlow (I think) ...

When we finally left the NEC at around 21:00, we stopped at said Beefeater and were surprised at how long it took to pull a pint of 6X (at least it was on on Sunday Night!) In previous years, we to have used said Premier Inn and were talking about going back to it next year. (We stayed at the Ibis in the airport complex; only ten minutes walk [excluding the visit to JDW] from the stand to the hotel but a 2-3 mile taxi ride to food!)

Thanks for posting the photos, guys, it's the only opportunity I've had to see most of the layouts as one of our number had to return home and left us short staffed! 9 hours stuck inside a 20ft square space, keeping an eye on the punters (we had a few thefts, we believe!), dealing with everything from complaints to some detailed technical questions, certainly kept us on our toes, but meant that, despite the aforementioned quality of the exhibitors' lunches, ours on both days was 500ml of cola, taken 'on the hoof'!

Still, good to catch up with those of you that I (briefly) met at the Saturday 'meet' (couldn't make Sunday's!) (didn't anyone take photos of them this year?) and especially with eldavo, Il Dottore, PaulRhB and ChrisF. Burkitt: you avoided me again;)

Hopefully, we'll do it all again next year!

what a great day i must say, absolutely packed but still worth it. Saw some great layouts (the ones i could get near) Blackmill particularly caught my eye being into modern image myself and what a superbly detailed layout it is, great use of LED lighting and Cararama Ford Transits! :lol: loved the signals too, very realistic. Had to wait about 20mins to get near the front it was so popular. Also enjoyed seeing Crimson road, i remember drooling over it in one of the magazines and I must say it looks even better in person.

Shopping wise the show was a real goldmine for things i needed, To be honest i expected it to be a box-shifting convention of current models but was suprised to find some real bargains on discontinued models, managed to grap 3 brand new Bachmann EWS 37's from the Hereford model centre for 48 quid each (a real Bargain!) they go for over 70 quid on ebay for good condition ones :D spent ages searching for the new Autoballaster expecting them all to be sold out but eventually found one much to my delight :) Also purchased some english electric windcreen surrounds from shawplan along with some brake leavers which ive been after for ages.

Liked the look of the pre-production models too, had a good look in the Bachmann cabinet, the clas 70 looks promising in its livery as do the LMS twins albeit in primer, oddly though model rail had a painted version in their cabinet

overall a great show which gave me much needed inspiration :)

Herculaneum Dock - PaulRhB - does your Mother remember the overhead railway being all red oxide (clean and bright on the model), it looks much more restrained on Paul's video.

But a great model all round, yes I liked it, it would probably take about 50% of my stock on there.

There seems to be some interest in the exhibitors catering facilities :-

So here's Sundays menu

necmenu1.jpg

A quick view of the queue

grubq1.jpg

I was going to put in a pic of my mushroom stroganoff, which was really nice but isn't very photogenic.

This is not a layout , it is actually real ( although a little small )

reality1.jpg

Back to my G1 Teddybear on Mercians stand, which has now got some paint on it but needs some numbers and a crest.

ted15.jpg

Regards

Richard

I was in the hall by 09:30 Friday Morning!

I was quoting the information sheet for 2pm, but then I was in at 1pm and there were layouts already in place, but with those doors open, it was cold,

we gave up at 5pm and went to the hotel to warm up. This meant an early start for me, 7.15am, to get all the stock coupled up, solder some rail joints that had come away, check all the circuits, functions etc. thus I missed breakfast (served from 8am on Sat/Sun),

all done by 9.25 when the rest of the crew rolled in, telling me about the full breakfasts they'd had..... At least it was warm on the Sat/Sun.

I know some people from west Cornwall visited on Sunday and said hello, but apparently somebody from my village - Mousehole - was there on Saturday, called at the stand, said they'd be back later.... If your reading this, contact me, you'll know the yellow bucket in the village!!!

Now I've been away from the main stream exhibition circuits for at least 10 years, but I was surprised at the number of people who came up and said ".. hi Sandy, great to see you again, how's life down there in Cornwall...." and I have no idea who they are or where I knew them from, there were others I haven't seen for 30+ years and it was great to meet up again, but they looked older... :(

• RMweb Premium

Well what a superb weekend we had at Warley. Bridport Town performed perfectly almost all weekend, as did the operators. We had the odd problem, such as couplings on the new coaches, but nothing to worry too much about.

I felt very honoured to receive the Narrow Gauge Trophy, and my great thanks to everyone who made such kind comments about the layout, both at the show and on this forum, I'm feeling overwhelmed!

I THINK I got to see the whole show, and what a superb selection of layouts, many of which were new to me, as well as a good number of old favourites. Congratulations to PaulRHB for the Signalling Award for Rhatia, Bridport certainly won't "trouble the scorers" in that department. Does anyone have a list of all the trophy winners?

Particular thanks must go to "the team" of Mudmagnet, Darren01 and Martin (the candle) for their help, enthusiasm and company over the weekend. Thanks in particular to Darren for his earlier tribute, and for turning up after barely one-hours sleep the night before.

Well done the Warley group for organising such a huge show, so whens the next one?

Cheers,

Dave.T

• RMweb Gold

Herculaneum Dock -does your Mother remember the overhead railway being all red oxide (clean and bright on the model),

No she did say it was black with bits of red occasionally in her memory but put that down to the line underneath being electric too on the model :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Just to add that we also had a great weekend. The Warley club looked after us very well and I thought the quality of exhibits and general layout with the wider isles was much better than in previous years.

We spent the weekend chatting to all and sundry about my model of Bath Queen Square which, along with a selection of research material, formed the layout under construction exhibit in the 2mm section. A lot of time was spent explaining why it is called Queen Square and not Green Park (its BR name)and trying to smile when asked when we are going to build the Sainsbury's store!!

Thanks to Burkit for filming so many of the exhibits - we didn't feature in his films this time being static but my little layout Highbury Colliery has featured in the past. I have to say he realy does do an excellent job - would like to see a picture of him so I can look out for him at shows we attend in the future.

regards Jerry

Hi Jerry

I spent several minutes admiring your part complete model of Queen Square, but didn't get a chance to speak to you as you were talking with another visitor at the time. I didn't realise you were on RMweb or that Highbury Colliery - one of my favourite layouts - was yours or I would have waited a bit longer.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how your model of Queen Square / Green Park / my local Sainsbury's develops, having spent much time grocery shopping there, been very impressed by Taunton MRG's BR era OO model, and once built much of it in Sketchup. It should look particularly good in the SDJR period with the locos and carriages resplendent in their smart blue livery.

Paul

Archived