Warley NEC 2010

Penlan

A big thank you to all who came and saw "Blackmill" and your positive comments. We were fortunate enough to be awarded the Modern Image layout trophy.

Yeah well done for that Mick and the team, (he says through gritted teeth, :tongueclear: )

Thanks also to fellow exhibitors - especially those within close vicinty ;) for their light-hearted banter throughout the weekend.

Cheers,

Mick

I couldn't possibly think who that might have been ;) ;)

We had a great time too on Pengwynn Crossing, except for the little issues we had at the start of the day, like a point blade, on the fiddle yard throat point, coming adrift 5 minutes before the show opened, the Fertilizer siding refusing to work until we discovered that part of the microswitch on the point had broken, and an intermittant short taking out the whole layout at the most inoppotune moments, normally when there was a crowd in front of the layout :blink: :blink:

But thank you to all those people who passed comments on the layout, especially those who said that it was Pengwynn Crossing which got them either back into or into Modelling in the first place. We also had to turn down numerous invites for Pengwynn, from people who didn't realise it was still around, as we are retiring it from the circuit for a complete rewire and other work, we haven't decided yet whether to make it DCC compatible, but we did have a few comments that it lends itself to DCC and DCC Sound as well!!!! It will probably be off for 3 or 4 years and hopefully make a comeback at Trainwest 2014 in time for its 25th anniversary.

Many regards

Neal Mansell

Chairman

Bentley Model Railway Group.

• RMweb Gold

An excellent show this year, Bridport, Herculaneum Dock, Blackmill and Harton Gill were just a few of the excellent layouts. I thought they'd got the aisles right too where there were big popular layouts. The CoBo, Beattie and Sentinel prototypes all caught my eye. Chris' colliery buildings look very good close up too, he was using them as a backdrop for photos. I thought the behind the scenes organisation was first class. Food was good at the show and we even got a decent restaurant attached to the hotel.

We had a friendly little section and supplied power to the layout behind us too when they discovered they had forgotten their RCD. Very pleased to get a note from the Signalling Record Society commending the signalling on Rhatia. It proves people read the info board!

Nice to chat with people on the manufacturers stands, just a shame to find that the weathered JNAs are delayed but I was assured the standard model won't disappear in case these are too problematic.

OK, now we have had chance to digest the plethora of RTR announcements (and a few good ones there)

Did anyone see any new kits on display/launched ?

Probably a bit obscure for most but RTmodels are re-introducing some steelworks kits, I came away with a slag ladle wagon and a Skinninggrove mill roll wagon, both in w/m and both were previously sold by another company. Far more interesting to me than anything that the big boys are releasing! :D

Probably a bit obscure for most but RTmodels are re-introducing some steelworks kits, I came away with a slag ladle wagon and a Skinninggrove mill roll wagon, both in w/m and both were previously sold by another company. Far more interesting to me than anything that the big boys are releasing! :D

These will be the old Clarke kits, so how to get hold of RTmodels please.

this is a compliment mind, but Abbotstone (which IL Dottore was on???)

Alas, nothing to do with me ;)

Good show, despite flight delays from CH. Got my goodies (including the black framed City of Truro from the NRM stand :D ) and did a fair bit of networking as well. Good to see faces old and new.

I've not been much of a fan of card modelling (despite being inspired by Pendon), but the Scalescenes stand showed some amazing card modelling using John's kits. I just may have to have a go!

F

I was there on Sunday as I have a distaste for being trampled underfoot. This is a risk that I perceive in attending on Saturday but then again some people say I worry too much. Lots of people that I know were there nd I seemed to spend most of the day nattering, or networking as those fluent in management-gibber used to call it at work. The book I wanted most caused a look of bewilderment at the Ian Allan stand but this was more than balanced by spotting Geoff Taylor's building book over at Wild Swan. This will go straight to the top of the insomnia pile by the side of my bed.

Despite buying an exhibition guide there were a couple-ish of layouts that I would have liked to see but managed to overlook completely. That, plus discovering that I had picked up the wrong item from a trade stand, made me cuss just a bit. The good layouts that I did see far outweighed this! Putting Aberdare next to Penlan struck me as clever planning.

For those who didn't know, Bridport Town won the cup for the best NG layout and quite right too. The silver cup did look a bit overscale though.

I had a quick look at the 22 on the Dapol stand. It is an attractive-looking model and hopefully will perform better than the prototype [rice pudding, anyone?]

Chris

I enjoyed Warley on Sunday and thought Barmouth Bridge, Herculaneaum Dock and Bridport Town were layouts that made the whole thing worthwhile, even after I missed the 16.25 train by a few seconds (nobody to blame but myself...).

It was also good to get a bit of railway shopping - I was left with 80p in my pocket out of the cash I brought (a year's worth of change saved-up and converted into notes on Friday) - and meet some great people. I missed the 1pm meet as some sort of time vortex happened and from 12.30 to 2.15 went by in a flash.

Right, I suppose I had better get on with some work!

Paul

......But the Best thing about the weekend, the Exhibitors Lunchs! :D :P

Unfotunatly I didn't manage to get photos, but I'm sure other people did!

I didn't have a camera with me for the lunches either, but, yes they were great, vegetables slightly rare for me, but otherwise, luvly jubly.

Thanks for your comments on the video. No tripod, Ed, I don't think it would be possible to use one in the crowds present at Warley. I try to use the barriers in front of layouts to support my elbows and help keep the camera steady, and edit out any clips which are too shaky.Paul

Hi,

Glad you have better luck than me using the barriers, I always get a kid decide to jump on the one I am using!

Prefer to stand off the barriers now and keep my arms tucked in by my sides.

John

....Here's my video from Warley,......Paul

Many thanks Paul, but damn, caught the railmotor going through the home signal. Must have been Tudor operating then.

I noted numerous layouts around the hall had a 'Highly Commended' slip of paper from the Signalling Records Society, did they award a proper (top) prize to anybody - both Aberdare and Penlan had the slips of paper - some ribaldry and rivalry there.....:)

OK, I will put my hand up, we did get the LMS Society Award too :P

Penlan

First time I'd been in 6 or 7 years, mainly as RT Models are in the process of reintroducing some of my steelworks kits, and I wanted to lend Robert some assembled models for his stand.

I did really enjoy it though - the space between the stands is much improved. The finescale layouts on show were excellent - particularly the P4 layout with the large colliery.

Surprise of the day would have to be seeing, across the hall as I was leaving, my ex-boss operating Penlan. I had no idea he was into modelling too!!!!

Alastair

Penlan had an excellent weekend at Warley, in spite of the distance from west Cornwall and the promised help to load the van - moving the layout down two floors from the attic - not turning up.........

What was a joy!!!! was the South Lorry Park, OK still some distance to walk into Hall 5, but the least hassle I've ever had at NEC for parking etc., and in spite of trying to read all the forms and do what it said (like go to door 5.6 and later 5.3) they rules changed as time moved on and I was directed elsewhere.

It's some time since I've been to Warley NEC and certainly the first time in Hall 5, thus from the small village of west Cornwall to there, just an amazing sight / site.

The only downside (well there has to be something!!) the Premier Inn at Shirley, OK the Beefeater next door, had our first round of drinks on the Friday, Waddies 6X, and they ran out, we were offered Tetley SmoothFlow (I think) but we said NO and went to The Field House pub about quarter of an hours walk away (barmen said it would be no more than 10), there were six ales, Rugby on a big screen and (for our age!!) pleasent things to look at, and sometimes, just wonder :P .......

The Beefeater had Waddies 6X and Marstons Premium on Saturday, so that was OK, no walkies.

Penlan's operators are also part of the Aberdare crew (I'm a loner, they are all Cardiff Railway Club) and we've known one another upwards of 30+ yeras, so there's plenty of banter / ribbing and occasionaly exchange of good ideas...... A really good social occasion,

Many thanks Paul, but damn, caught the railmotor going through the home signal. Must have been Tudor operating then.

I filmed that shot in the last few minutes of the show, by which at least point at least one layout was running Thomas locos, so I wouldn't worry about one missed signal!

Paul

Somewhere on this thread it mentions a slow layout where the trains were going at about 5mph, just can't find it at this second.

On Penlan, we have two 1/4 mile post's, (that's at 17' 4" approx. in 4mm), 5mph would take 180 secs (3 mins) to travel that distance, or to cover the whole scenic section (21'), 218 secs. that's 3mins and 38secs, I don't think that was my layout then, and I can't think of another layout there that would take so long either. (Or 10.38 secs to travel a foot).

Of Course it doesn't matter what scale your in if your covering the time between scale 1/4 miles post's, it's always the same, for the speed at that scale too.

I do have all the speeds / time to cover a 1:1 foot, metere etc., in different scales too, but lifes to short......

If this works, here's my Excel calc's we have pasted at the back of the layout.

Speed .......Mile / time ......1/4 Mile time

..mph........SECONDS.......SECONDS

The only downside (well there has to be something!!) the Premier Inn at Shirley, OK the Beefeater next door, had our first round of drinks on the Friday, Waddies 6X, and they ran out, we were offered Tetley SmoothFlow (I think) but we said NO and went to The Field House pub about quarter of an hours walk away (barmen said it would be no more than 10), there were six ales, Rugby on a big screen and (for our age!!) pleasent things to look at, and sometimes, just wonder :P .......

The Beefeater had Waddies 6X and Marstons Premium on Saturday, so that was OK, no walkies.

Those of us in the Premier Inn at Hockley Heath had a similar experience, but our ales where Hook Norton Brewery Old Hooky and a Banks beer, but that was off before we arrived on the Friday, we apparantly drank them dry of Old Hooky on the Friday night and had to suffer Tetley's Smoothflow <_< <_< . Not even any Newcastle Brown in bottles, in fact when Mr. Easter enquired after the aforementioned Newccy Brown, the young lady behind the bar replied with a shrug of her shoulders and uttered "we do have wine" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But the food in the Beefeater was very good, if a little pricey. But the food at the Show was excellent, even though they did run out of Steak and Ale pies on the Saturday and Danish Pastries on the Sunday, but if this is all I can find to moan about then I think it was a resounding success....

Regards

Neal.

• RMweb Gold

I noted numerous layouts around the hall had a 'Highly Commended' slip of paper from the Signalling Records Society, did they award a proper (top) prize to anybody -

No idea but it was nice to see signalling getting recognised. If they ever do LNWR rtr I'm in real trouble as I love the locos and coaches. I'm sure the driver was passing your home signal due to it failing and being talked by ;)

will put my hand up, we did get the LMS Society Award too :P

Well deserved Blummin big plate! Could'nt sit that on the layout like Bridport did.

Here's my video from Warley, making full use of the 15 minute length now permitted by Youtube. I'll add some more clips of individual layouts over the next few days.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks a bunch for that 15 minute video. You did a quality job and its much appreciated. I'll be looking forward to any other vid of the show you post when you have time.

Cheers, Tony

Somewhere on this thread it mentions a slow layout where the trains were going at about 5mph, just can't find it at this second.

Here it is..

Some nice layouts Hinton Parva was good if run a little speedy at times, but you cannot please everyone, while I was at one layout a bloke behind me bemoaned " Another bloody 5mph layout" I was very impressed by the continental themed layouts.

Personally I have always found that trying to operate layouts at more or less scale speed (give or take a few miles per hour) is quite relaxing. A badly operated layout usually spoils all the effort that has gone in to the rolling stock and scenery. Perhaps the gentleman in question has had too many visits to Alton Towers.

Despite the odd gremlin our layout at Warley, Ellerton Road, managed to behave itself despite not being fully assembled and operated since its last outing in March at Alexandra Palace.

Emma

Here it is..

Some nice layouts Hinton Parva was good if run a little speedy at times, but you cannot please everyone, while I was at one layout a bloke behind me bemoaned " Another bloody 5mph layout" I was very impressed by the continental themed layouts.

Personally I have always found that trying to operate layouts at more or less scale speed (give or take a few miles per hour) is quite relaxing. A badly operated layout usually spoils all the effort that has gone in to the rolling stock and scenery. Perhaps the gentleman in question has had too many visits to Alton Towers.

I think I heard him whilst walking back to the NEC station, moaning that there weren't enough trainset type layouts and the standard of the modelling was too good. Maybe the organisers will consider a demonstration of how to de-fluff a Triang Jinty chassis and feature more layouts from the 1975 book of track plans, as they are clearly out of touch with the Punters....

HI All

Myself and Mud magnet when on an adventure to Warly this weekend to help operate Bridgeport town with DLT and Martian (can I light your candle)

What can I say about my first time at Warly! Mind blowing, having never been to a show this size before, I was amazed how big it was!

You really need two days at this show to see everything, the show was well laid out and was easy to find all the stands you needed to get too (And become poor, but happy)

I was asked by DLT if I would come to Warly to help operate Bridport Town, and what a superb layout to run and such good fun.

Once I had worked out how things worked on Bridport town, I was thrown into the deep end, but I soon got the hang of it.

Well done Dave for wining the cup, well deserved, Bridport town is ten years of work and it runs and looks amazing. Thanks Dave for inviting me up)

I saw the new class 22 by Dapol, just fell in love with it, it looks spot on, and Dapol have really captured the look very well.

For a production model they have done a wonderful look to the model, so glade I have one on order …..

Or two now!

Some of the layout where a very high standard and a very good selection of trade stand as well did, got a few bits.

The food was very good and plenty of areas to sit down , I did love the live steam layout , watching a G W R 2-8-0 slipping with 40 wagons on was a lovely site to see.

It was nice to chat to station master and Chissf and to meet Tim, on the demo stand, very nice work he has done.

It was good to also see at the show Big Chris and little Chris and Ray, Did your head pop at the show Big Chris?

All in all warly are a very well run show and very big show, and well worth the sore feet and aching legs not to miss.

I had an amazing weekend and very good company, Mudmagnet, DLT, and Martin, Thanks Dave for asking me to come up.

Was good to meet Chris Nevard at the show, boy was he busy! , So I think we may be seeing some rather nice shots on here soon, Meet Gorge Dent from Modelrail and had a good chat with him about weathering locos, very nice chap too.

I really enjoyed my first time at Warly and came away from the show with very happy memories

By the end of the weekend my feet where killing me and my knees ached, but it was well worth it.biggrin.gif

Well here is my own feeble effort at photos for you to look at.

All the best

Darren …..Off to put my feet soak my poor feet!.

post-6929-022018100 1290443648_thumb.jpg

post-6929-066129700 1290443687_thumb.jpg

post-6929-021587200 1290443708_thumb.jpg

post-6929-070008600 1290443743_thumb.jpg

post-6929-070310300 1290443761_thumb.jpg

post-6929-063932500 1290443789_thumb.jpg

post-6929-030924900 1290443803_thumb.jpg

post-6929-072423100 1290443815_thumb.jpg

post-6929-058093900 1290443834_thumb.jpg

post-6929-089134000 1290443854_thumb.jpg

post-6929-046348300 1290443928_thumb.jpg

post-6929-009497400 1290443941_thumb.jpg

post-6929-035055300 1290443960_thumb.jpg

post-6929-033607300 1290444102_thumb.jpg

post-6929-058604400 1290444167_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I have to say it was not me bemoaning the 5mph layouts it was a chap behind me addressing his two chums. My Comments re Hinto Parva being a bit speedy was only a short period that I watched it the first time, The second viewing was superb, I loved those Garratts and their huge coal trains, Wouldn't it be wonderful if an RTR manufacturer in this country made one, likewise the USA tank which made a fine cenrepiece.

Warley is a good day out for every level of enthusiast and caters for the whole spectrum, I feel there were less layouts this year than in previuos years I have attended but my memory may be fading.

I think congratulations should go to the organisers who gave us another superb show this year

Archived