Andy Siddalls Diesel Workbench

Well it has been a long time coming but thanks? to  a Kidney infection I have found myself at home for a couple of days and free from the punishing schedule of the current contract.

I decided therefore that what I needed was a build that I could accomplish in not too large an amount of time that would not need too much concentration. I had, in my to build pile a JLTRT FNA kit that I purchased a couple of weeks ago and decided that this was the one.

Little did I know when I started that rather than taking up a couple of days of my bored recuperation that I would have it ready for the paintshop in a matter of hours.

I shall not post a massive how to about this kit as it needs no explanation and just fell together with a little help and the application of cyano. 

Work started with the bogies which go together very easily and build into a strong and quite sturdy structure. 

post-7502-0-13700100-1507822168_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-99127100-1507822301_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-73897700-1507822314_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-71400400-1507822322_thumb.jpg

The body was then started, this consists mainly of a resin casting for the well and floor with 2 seperate castings for the sides, to this was then added the four load pedestals.

At this point I could not resist adding the flask to get an impression of how the finished wagon would look, this also helped me get an idea of how I could finish the build and leave the flask removable to aid painting.

post-7502-0-50034200-1507822337_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-83965700-1507822611_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-57609500-1507822632_thumb.jpg

With the flask in place I secured the platforms to the body and the hood locking brackets to the flask, these latter fit in slots on the top of the body sides so can be used to fix the flask in place after painting.

post-7502-0-10839500-1507822765_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-78078800-1507822776_thumb.jpg

A few minutes later after cleaning up of the very well cast buffer housings and adding a couple of detail parts like the handrails and brake / cover wheels we had a completed wagon ready for the paintshop.

post-7502-0-93619700-1507822884_thumb.jpg

Transfers have been ordered from Railtech and I bought the paint for the body from JLTRT at the same time as the kit. With a bit of luck I shall hopefully have it all painted by the end of the weekend.

Sadly the castings for the screw couplings from JLTRT never seem to be of very good quality to my mind and so I may have to replace them with the offering from CPL.

In all fairness to JLTRT though this has been an enjoyable and quick build and I see no reason why no one should shy away from having a go at building one themselves.

Cheers

Andy

Well it has been a long time coming but thanks? to  a Kidney infection I have found myself at home for a couple of days and free from the punishing schedule of the current contract.

I decided therefore that what I needed was a build that I could accomplish in not too large an amount of time that would not need too much concentration. I had, in my to build pile a JLTRT FNA kit that I purchased a couple of weeks ago and decided that this was the one.

Little did I know when I started that rather than taking up a couple of days of my bored recuperation that I would have it ready for the paintshop in a matter of hours.

I shall not post a massive how to about this kit as it needs no explanation and just fell together with a little help and the application of cyano. 

Work started with the bogies which go together very easily and build into a strong and quite sturdy structure. 

attachicon.gifFNA_01.JPG

attachicon.gifFNA_02.JPG

attachicon.gifFNA_03.JPG

attachicon.gifFNA_04.JPG

The body was then started, this consists mainly of a resin casting for the well and floor with 2 seperate castings for the sides, to this was then added the four load pedestals.

At this point I could not resist adding the flask to get an impression of how the finished wagon would look, this also helped me get an idea of how I could finish the build and leave the flask removable to aid painting.

attachicon.gifFNA_05.JPG

attachicon.gifFNA_06.JPG

attachicon.gifFNA_07.JPG

With the flask in place I secured the platforms to the body and the hood locking brackets to the flask, these latter fit in slots on the top of the body sides so can be used to fix the flask in place after painting.

attachicon.gifFNA_08.JPG

attachicon.gifFNA_09.JPG

A few minutes later after cleaning up of the very well cast buffer housings and adding a couple of detail parts like the handrails and brake / cover wheels we had a completed wagon ready for the paintshop.

attachicon.gifFNA_10.JPG

Transfers have been ordered from Railtech and I bought the paint for the body from JLTRT at the same time as the kit. With a bit of luck I shall hopefully have it all painted by the end of the weekend.

Sadly the castings for the screw couplings from JLTRT never seem to be of very good quality to my mind and so I may have to replace them with the offering from CPL.

In all fairness to JLTRT though this has been an enjoyable and quick build and I see no reason why no one should shy away from having a go at building one themselves.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

Get well soon!

Nice work!

Nice to see how the JLTRT FNA compares to my AME version too, there's another out soon as well, IIRC.

I would like to have an earlier variant too, may have to scratch build when time permits.....

BTW is there a chequer-plate effect on the upper surfaces?

Nice work!

Kindest regards,

CME

Hi all,

CME, there is no chequer plate rendition on the upper surfaces, where about do you mean exactly and was this an original fitment or a later addition / removal?

Well I was feeling more like a human being again as we went into the weekend so found the effort to get the airbrush out and start the painting, as look would have it the delivery of a little package from Railtec has meant that I have been able to finish with the exception of a coat of Varnish and weathering, I have not yet fitted the couplings but with a bit of luck I shall manage to get them made on Saturday when I get back home from a week away with work.

All in all a very enjoyable build and I enjoy looking forward to the next one, I have already ordered a couple of extra HEA's from Tower to recode as RNA and just need to convert a Slaters Brake Van to Air and we have a complete train....

Well time to get on and let the pictures speak for themselves.

post-7502-0-50185100-1508103957_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-82349400-1508103993_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-61096100-1508104051_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-37991400-1508104087_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-17791800-1508104122_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-45157600-1508104170_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Archived