Andy Siddalls Diesel Workbench

Hi David,

Working Retarders now there's a thought, especially the individual Doughty ones that they had at Tinsley, I beleive that some of them could accelerate a wagon as well as retard it......

I did get the axles from Slaters, thanks to your tip off and so I am now the proud owner of a rolling chassis after last weekend.

Sadly I have to work this weekend so I think progress may slow for a couple of weeks.

All the best

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody........

Well I have finally found a couple of hours in which I can spend some quality time with my soldering iron :huh:.

The first job to be done was to get the other outer frames added and then start on the detail for these so that I can get the chassis finished and running before starting the superstructure.

As can be seen I have added the sandbox and horn guide details and then I have finally put the wheels into the inner chassis just for a look, while it may not look like much there is a good afternoons work here!!

Next time I shall concentrate on getting the hornblocks done along with the rest of the frame detail. When this is done I shall be adding the brake gear and conrods in order to try and get 2 motorised chassis running...

Slave unit L/H side

post-7502-0-89516600-1307899638_thumb.jpg

Slave unit R/H side

post-7502-0-88324300-1307899649_thumb.jpg

Master L/H side

post-7502-0-61531600-1307899660_thumb.jpg

Master R/H side

post-7502-0-72685600-1307899676_thumb.jpg

Master and Slave L/H side

post-7502-0-92257300-1307899693_thumb.jpg

That's all for now as I have another wonderful weeks filming ahead. If I am really lucky I may get some more time next week......

Cheers

Andy

Ok,

Another very busy weekend with not a lot of time for building. I did manage to get a couple of hours this afternoon and so I have made the hornblocks. These are made up of 4 pieces of brass etch and a white metal casting for the retaining plate.

If wanted the kit can be built with sprung hornblocks and a bearing is privided for this if required, as I have chosen to go for the compensated chassis I have not used these.

post-7502-0-56493900-1308503086_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-00646300-1308503094_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-47548000-1308503108_thumb.jpg

Apart from a quick clean up after the pictures were taken that is probably all I shall get done for a couple of weeks as my schedule gets even busier.

Thoughts have been turning to DDC and wiring. I am going to have motor in each unit and a Loksound decoder in the master. I shall probably put a speaker in each unit with track wiring passed between the units for better electrical pick-up.

All I need to find is a really neat and tidy way to get 6 wires between the units and preferably keep them removable with nice connectors.

Any thoughts from the RMweb brain? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Andy

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Well I have finally finished my contract and so I now have a little more time to work on 13001, over the past few weeks I have hardly found time to turn the soldering iron on never mind actually using it!

This weekend I managed to get most of the fuel tanks and battery/compressor boxes onto the Left hand side of the units, I will start on the other side today and hopefully post more detailed photos.

post-7502-0-08809900-1312191376_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-84915700-1312191388_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now.

Andy

Managed to complete the boxes on the other sides this afternoon although a 2 hour phone conversation put paid to any further progress.

The doors are added ahead of the fuel tanks and the intake grilles are folded up and fitted, these are a simple pan fold and are a beautifully etched piece of Nickel silver.

post-7502-0-90135500-1312227381_thumb.jpg

Door catches and Hinges are added along with the handrails across the top 2 grilles.

post-7502-0-85104800-1312227479_thumb.jpg

The battery boxes are a simple fold up box with a roof added after fitting to the loco.

post-7502-0-54035700-1312227572_thumb.jpg

On 13001 the slave unit aswell as the Master had a compressor box on the RH side.

This is again a simple fold up box with a pan folded overlay for the front along with an inlay of grille details

The top of this box is another pan fold section along with the vents made up individually from etched brass as shown.

post-7502-0-05914100-1312227689_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-02196100-1312227703_thumb.jpg

This is definitely a kit for lovers of etched brass construction, however with a little time and concentration a very nice model can be produced at a very reasonable price!

The final state of play today for the slave unit (the master looks exactly the same).

post-7502-0-52706600-1312227769_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow I will try and get all of the other bonnet side details fixed and possibly start on the radiator grille work.

Cheers

Andy

Nice to see you getting on with 13 number 1, only 2 more to go.

Before you go to far with it though I would check your 13 gen as an 08 only has 2 securing clips on the double doors with the 4 air intakes on, top and bottom but not in the middle.

Also on the chassis you have a drain valve between the front and middle axles on both sides. This should only be on the righthand side between the middle and rear axle (it's the sump drain)

post-6766-0-29330200-1312296381_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-17113800-1312296385_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see you getting on with 13 number 1, only 2 more to go.

Before you go to far with it though I would check your 13 gen as an 08 only has 2 securing clips on the double doors with the 4 air intakes on, top and bottom but not in the middle.

Also on the chassis you have a drain valve between the front and middle axles on both sides. This should only be on the righthand side between the middle and rear axle (it's the sump drain)

And what would you know Brian? Theres always a picky one somewhere :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Its sure good to have an insider for all those little details. :yes:

Thanks Brian,

I have removed the offending catches on the intake doors! I can see where the problem arose, I assume that David has used a generic etch layout and insructions for the sides from his 08 kit, these may need to have the

lower pair of catches in the middle of that panel if you are modelling a loco with the extra box at the bottom of this area!

As to the oil sump drain I have moved this back to between the middle and rear drivers on the RH side only!

I have also completed the sides with the addition of the engine compartment doors and handrails.

The picture was taken before adding the long top handrail on the sides.

post-7502-0-46207400-1312317084_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Andy

On my MMP 08 that I built from the first ones many years ago I see I have the 2 sump drains like you did, oh well I won't be changing mine now though. I did get the door catch right though! As you say you would need a middle catch if adding the extra compressor box on the lefthand side.

Looks nice with the doors on.

Further progress today, I had a good start this morning and managed to get the bonnet fronts finished by lunch!

post-7502-0-05459300-1312387431_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-67542200-1312387447_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-24452800-1312387457_thumb.jpg

As I had enjoyed such a good morning ,I decided that I would continue and try and get the slave unit body finished all bar castings.

I shall be leaving most of the castings off both units until all of the brass soldering is finished, the bonnet tops will then wait until I have

got all of the whitemetal soldering done!

post-7502-0-41208800-1312387591_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-87873100-1312387606_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-02794700-1312387623_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-92642500-1312387632_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-29405000-1312387639_thumb.jpg

As can hopefully be seen from the pictures, the back of the slave is just a few very simple folds and a bit of detailing from overlays.

I am still very impressed by the way that this kit is going together.

Oh, Brian you are right, nearly 1 down and only 2 to go, next one of course will be green with TOPS! :lol:

Cheers

Andy

Hello Andy,

looks like two different bonnet fronts to me!

One has the etched lines for the diagonal strips the other one doesn't.

OzzyO.

PS. how did you get the reassess behind the N/S overlay just behind the rad. when the brass body is up to the outside of the rad nose in two or more of your photos?

Morning Ozzy,

You are correct! The slave unit will have the chevrons on it's nose and the Master unit will have them on the Cab back only!

This is however only correct if modelling 13001, I believe that 13002 and 13003 had chevrons on both nose ends when in Blue, also while in Blue 13003 had the stripes on the

back of the slave unit also!

Maybe that is why I would like to model them all, a class of 3 locomotives with so much detail and livery difference between them!

As to the nickel silver grille, there is no recess. The Nickel silver etch in the kit is only about 7thou thick, so when laminated like this it looks almost flush.

The rest of the front end is then built up in layers around this and ultimately gives a great deal of depth!

No progress to be made today i am afraid as I seem to have gained employment on a commercial shoot!

Cheers

Andy

Hi Pete and Keefer,

Thanks for the thoughts about the bufferbeams and also for the link to Brian's picture.

I think that the bufferbeams are near the correct thickness, when compared with the picture they look about right.

The one on the back of the slave is 1.3 mm thick which is roughly a scale 2.25 inches.

However the one on the front of the master seems to have bent away from the step and so you are seeing the thickness of the etch whereas the depth should be hidden as it

should blend into the step if you look at the photo.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks Martin, really useful pictures! The one problem I have had is finding as many pictures as possible to build from. The majority of the ones that I have seem to be taken from the overbridge of them on the hump and

so they all tend to be top 3/4 shots.

I notice from your photo that 13001 had previously carried a builders plate while in Blue full yellow ends and so I will probably fit one.

Dan, thanks for the kind words. I have sadly never seen a kit in 4mm for the 13s. The one I had many moons ago was quite badly bashed from a couple of Hornby 08s, we are talking

1980s models so I suppose you could bash a nicer one with the latest offerings.

Haven't been able to do too much today and I am going away for the weekend. I have got the basic cab on with a bit of detailing so will post a few pics on Monday if I get chance.

Cheers

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy, fantastic work there, 7mm is another world when it comes down to detail. I am just in the middle of describing a 4mm 'bash of 2 modern Hornby 08s in 'detailing and converting RTR' thread (if thats the right title). Its green pre-TOPS and photos of the prototype are like hens teeth :blink: . Cheers Phil.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy, fantastic work there, 7mm is another world when it comes down to detail. I am just in the middle of describing a 4mm 'bash of 2 modern Hornby 08s in 'detailing and converting RTR' thread (if thats the right title). Its green pre-TOPS and photos of the prototype are like hens teeth :blink: . Cheers Phil.

here

Hi Phi and Phil?

Thanks for the link and info about the 4mm build. You've made a really nice job of D4500.

The more i think about the class 13s the more fascinated I get about peoples liking of them, considering that they were restricted to just Tinsley

there seems to be masses of interest which they raise.

Keep up the good modelling.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Phi and Phil?

Thanks for the link and info about the 4mm build. You've made a really nice job of D4500.

The more i think about the class 13s the more fascinated I get about peoples liking of them, considering that they were restricted to just Tinsley

there seems to be masses of interest which they raise.

Keep up the good modelling.

Cheers

Andy

Andy -

We only did the Class 13 kit as an offshoot from the 08 [obviously] and I doubted we would do little better than break-even on it - but like you, I have always found them fascinating, so we took the plunge. I am pleased to tell you though that from two weeks ago there are at least 40 7mm modellers who must be modelling Tinsley Yard!!!

Regards,

David

Archived