Andy Siddalls Diesel Workbench

Today has seen the Bolster E's finished.

The whitemetal parts have been added and the bogies built.

This kit really is a nice easy quick build and is a credit to Jim McGeowns design skills.

post-7502-0-29331300-1314819579.jpg

post-7502-0-74102500-1314819675.jpg

post-7502-0-33486500-1314819693.jpg

post-7502-0-76770700-1314819718.jpg

Having had a good look at the part built kits lying around I will probably have to complete an urn or 2 next and so I shall put these in my LNER bench.

I shall however continue to add the odd random picture here as things are glazed and finished....

Cheers

Andy

• 2 years later...

After rather too long an absence due to work and other commitments I am now getting back into the saddle and starting to build again.

Looking through the boxes of kits that require building I thought that I should go for a nice build that would get me back into the groove while providing an interesting prototype, this has led me to begin construction of the connoisseur models

SR Queen Mary Brake Van. This will be built in either BR bauxite or Olive green to go with my slowly increasing rake of permanent way wagons, as I am still undecided I have made a start on the bogies.

The etch for 1 bogie. These are very nice etches, beautifully drawn and to the usual high standard that we expect from Connoisseur!

post-7502-0-74518400-1390301410_thumb.jpg

The first few steps to get this far ,are just simple exercises in folding and laminating.

post-7502-0-63959000-1390301411_thumb.jpg

The parts and instructions allow for a rigid construction or a sprung suspension utilising spring wire held across the tops of the axle bearing carriers.

I have decided to give the springing a try and have had to file the bearing holes in the frames oval in order to allow for this movement!

Cheers

Andy

Managed a little more work on the bogies this afternoon.

These are the bearing carriers that slide between 2 fold out lugs on the back of the W-irons.

post-7502-0-18731400-1390327794_thumb.jpg

A quick mock up to show the use of the provided guitar string to achieve the springing.

post-7502-0-09435000-1390327795_thumb.jpg

Finally with wheels and spring wire in place, the springing would appear to allow for 2 or 3mm movement which should be more than plenty!

post-7502-0-88511100-1390327795_thumb.jpg

The brake components for one bogie, note that there are long and short brake hangers to allow for the differing height of the crossbeams.

post-7502-0-72163700-1390327796_thumb.jpg

Finally, at the end of play today, we have 2 bogies complete with brake gear.

post-7502-0-64978000-1390327797_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-58914200-1390327798_thumb.jpg

So far this has been a pleasure to build, the instructions are clear and concise and all parts are easy to identify as they are numbered in the instructions and a numbered photocopy of the etch is included!

Cheers

Andy

Had to go out today, so no progress until I managed an hour this evening.

I managed to get the steps soldered up and attached to the bogies, all that remains now is to add a few castings and they are complete.

Step 1

The six components that go into making each step.

post-7502-0-25099400-1390428639_thumb.jpg

Step 2

Ready to attach, the steps feel very strong and unlikely to bend or break easily.

post-7502-0-20577800-1390428640_thumb.jpg

Step 3

Finished!

post-7502-0-79118100-1390428640_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Quite a slow day on the workbench today but I did manage to complete the bogies, all of the castings were clean and the fit was perfect. As usual spares were provided just in case!

post-7502-0-65864700-1390496966_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-44750800-1390496967_thumb.jpg

Progress will be quite slow for the next couple of days due to having to work for a living, also i have a couple of kettle related projects to complete hopefully before the club meeting on Tuesday!

Managed to get a little more done yesterday afternoon and today.

Sorry but I got a little carried away with the frames and forgot to take any pics, however all went together very easily and here is a quick snap.

post-7502-0-46429900-1390766136_thumb.jpg

I am now beginning to see how big the finished van will be...

We now move onto the sides of the main van body, these are a single large etch with an overlay for all of the rivet detail, the end doors are than added along with additional planking.

post-7502-0-49991100-1390766137_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-42438400-1390766138_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-99705500-1390766138_thumb.jpg

This is where I am at the end of todays session, sadly I have a 6 day week and so progress may slow somewhat.

Next: Duckets!

Cheers

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Have a couple of days before my next contract and so I shall try to make an amount of progress on the brake.

Since my last visit I have fitted the Duckets and have added the window frames and lamp brackets to the inner ends.

These are now attached to the sides and the whole is fixed to the body.

Here is a quick phone pic of the progress on the ends.

post-7502-0-70449700-1391534758_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

A quick lunchtime update as progress has slowed due to having to go away to work last week. All is back to normal(ish) now and so work will resume from here!

Work continued with the folding up and preparing of the outer ends and the verandah floors. There are only 2 lamp irons on the ends as shown as the van being modeled still had its sand boxes in place.

post-7502-0-06724200-1392731873_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-23155500-1392731874_thumb.jpg

The sand boxes were a simple fold up etch with the addition of wire for the associated pipework. in the instructions it is recommended to cut the pipework leve with the bottom of the cabin so as they just touch the end floor. I decided to drill holes in the floor and leave the pipes longer so that they disappear through as per the prototype.

post-7502-0-33030800-1392731875_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-60838900-1392731876_thumb.jpg

The next parts to be fitted are the body to underframe angle fixing.

A quick lunchtime update as progress has slowed due to having to go away to work last week. All is back to normal(ish) now and so work will resume from here!

Work continued with the folding up and preparing of the outer ends and the verandah floors. There are only 2 lamp irons on the ends as shown as the van being modeled still had its sand boxes in place.

attachicon.gifQMB_6.jpg

attachicon.gifQMB_7.jpg

The sand boxes were a simple fold up etch with the addition of wire for the associated pipework. in the instructions it is recommended to cut the pipework leve with the bottom of the cabin so as they just touch the end floor. I decided to drill holes in the floor and leave the pipes longer so that they disappear through as per the prototype.

attachicon.gifQMB_8.jpg

attachicon.gifQMB_9.jpg

The next parts to be fitted are the body to underframe angle fixing.

Hi Andy,

All looks very nice and neat - and it will be a cracking model when finished - and I am really enjoying the Thread (wish that I had more time to make a QM BV).

Did you look at the 'SignaturE Railways'' QM (in whitemetal)?

ATVB

CME

Hi CME,

Thanks for the kind words. I have been slowly getting more familiar with using the resistance soldering unit and must say that I have probably used it for about 80% of this build so far!

It certainly leaves a lot less solder requiring scraping away and cleaning up!

As for SignaturE Railways, I must admit that I did not know of there existence, although I was never in the market for a QM brake as it where. I just happened to notice that Connoisseur were planning on producing one and having built and more importantly enjoyed building most of Jim's kits, I managed to justify one as part of my Engineers fleet!

Cheers

Andy

Hi CME,

Thanks for the kind words. I have been slowly getting more familiar with using the resistance soldering unit and must say that I have probably used it for about 80% of this build so far!

It certainly leaves a lot less solder requiring scraping away and cleaning up!

As for SignaturE Railways, I must admit that I did not know of there existence, although I was never in the market for a QM brake as it where. I just happened to notice that Connoisseur were planning on producing one and having built and more importantly enjoyed building most of Jim's kits, I managed to justify one as part of my Engineers fleet!

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

I agree the Connoisseur kits are nice - I have a Toad to build. I think that I am working my way towards a Brake Van train special/tour!

I keep eyeing a RSU - nice work.

ATVB

CME

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Well it has been almost two years since I updated these pages and sadly not too much has happened in the interim,due to work and other of lifes pleasures getting in the way the modelling mojo had very much taken a back seat.

There are however a few things to report.

The Queen Mary has been finished but is currently sitting in an unpainted state waiting for a couple more wagons that require painting in the same colours.

I have another POA kit part built and a further one bought at Reading last weekend, the plan is to have around five of these.

The SPA has benn painted and is now in a finished but unweathered state. Transfers are from a mix of companies, the TOPS panel is from the precision custom range, maintenance panel from Railtec (taken froma dogfish sheet) and the RF lettering and Arrows are from Fox.

post-7502-0-14292100-1449949113_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-61400600-1449949115_thumb.jpg

I really think that this has come out well for a very old kit, I may have to get a couple more for an air braked steel train. There is a BAA somewhere that I built about 25 years ago, I think it may have even been my first brass wagon, must see whether some use can be made of it.

The catfish has been painted and Precision transfers applied another has been built but no photos yet. There is a Dogfish about to be started followed by a few more of each.

post-7502-0-55586200-1449949152_thumb.jpg

Lastly I have succumbed to the world of RTR I have a small collection of Deltics which shall be dealt with later and I just could not resist a class 60 to hopefully complement the Dapol HAA when it becomes available.

post-7502-0-50531200-1449949280_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-82676900-1449949281_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-26173800-1449949283_thumb.jpg

Hopefully it shall NOT be another 2 years before I get around to updating this page, but until then.

Cheers

Andy

• 1 year later...

Well they say that work is the curse of the modelling classes, well here's proof, over a year since the last post on this thread.

I have not been completely idle in that time so a few things have progressed.

Many moons ago I was a member of MIGO and purchased a trio of the VAA kit that was made in resin and white metal, they have sat maturing until finally their time has come for building.

These went together rather well and I now only wish that I had bought a couple more :-)

Sadly as time was of the essence I do not have too many images of the build but here are the finished articles along with a brace of JLTRT ZZA Snowploughs that are now just awaiting painting and transfers.

You may just notice the Queen Mary Brake sneaking into the back of one of the images, this is now painted and running, I shall post some pics of that one later.

post-7502-0-82662300-1487158834_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-49642100-1487158846_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-55782100-1487158855_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-25579800-1487158861_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-78649900-1487158866_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-26562200-1487158875_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-94913600-1487158882_thumb.jpg

I currently have a little time off between contracts and so I have made a start on a JLTRT class 20.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks Ian,

I shall have a look at the Model Express stand at Kettering and see what else I could build. Although very simple they were a joy to build and finish, sadly I got a bauxite one from Heljan and on it's second outing one of the buffer beams came off. Not a very good advert and doesn't exactly fill me with confidence to buy more.

Cheers

Andy

Some really impressive modelling here. Great stuff.

I often wish I could afford 7mm in both financial and space regards, just about manage with 4mm for space. I used to model 1/48 aircraft when I had much more space available.

Hi Kelly, 

Thanks for the compliment. 

7mm is a difficult scale to model in when it comes to available space, I am currently designing a small (test board) layout in the space which I can make available 12' x 12". I plan on using tis to test my ideas and also computer control it using MERG CBUS components.

As to the cost I was surprised, a lot less O gauge goes a lot further than say OO or N, you just have to think smaller and hope that one day you will get to build that railway empire that you always dreamed of.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks Ian,

I shall have a look at the Model Express stand at Kettering and see what else I could build. Although very simple they were a joy to build and finish, sadly I got a bauxite one from Heljan and on it's second outing one of the buffer beams came off. Not a very good advert and doesn't exactly fill me with confidence to buy more.

Cheers

Andy

Also the roof shape of the Heljan one is wrong.

Morning all,

As promised yesterday, here a few images of the finished Connoisseur Queen Mary Brakevan. 

QMB_10.jpg

QMB_11.jpg

QMB_12.jpg

Meanwhile work has progressed on the Class 20, the body can now be painted and so work has turned to motorising and detailing the bogies.

Sadly the buffer springs as supplied by JLTRT pass all the way along the shank to the buffer head so I may have to source some alternatives, failing that I can always buy some replacement buffers but sadly I can see this holding up the rest of the build as I cannot finish the running boards until these are attached.

20105_02.jpg

20105_04.jpg

20105_05.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Hi Kelly, 

Thanks for the compliment. 

7mm is a difficult scale to model in when it comes to available space, I am currently designing a small (test board) layout in the space which I can make available 12' x 12". I plan on using tis to test my ideas and also computer control it using MERG CBUS components.

As to the cost I was surprised, a lot less O gauge goes a lot further than say OO or N, you just have to think smaller and hope that one day you will get to build that railway empire that you always dreamed of.

Cheers

Andy

I have been thinking about a small 0-16.5 narrow gauge layout however. Though it might end up being 00-9 to allow it to fit with the other layout plans I'm currently working on, but if it does go ahead it'd be based on a military railway.

The prices for the Dapol terrier and 08 surprised me tbh, I know I could never justify the cost of some of the rtr items, but smaller kits maybe.

For now I need to keep focused on the two p4 layouts I'm building (one a test bed for the other).

I too am using merg cbus, it is great value and my local area group has been excellent.

Thanks Ian,

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy, Heljan make some nice looking RTR, yet I have to say that build qlty can be hit and miss, although taking longer, kits offer more satisfaction per £ than RTR (which always seems to need remedial works in 7mm AFAICT 

Some really impressive modelling here. Great stuff.

I often wish I could afford 7mm in both financial and space regards, just about manage with 4mm for space. I used to model 1/48 aircraft when I had much more space available.

I empathise, like most modellers of 7mm, I model on/to a budget, it can be done and the space vs cost vs qty issue, these days means that 7mm is very much on a par with 4mm RTR.

Also, if starved for space, can you build a simple garden railway (it could even be made to be semi-portable and stored/used in the garage in the winter months?)?

ATVB

CME

Thanks CME,

As much as I like some of the RTR, I have a Heljan 40 and a few Deltics, also Dapols 08, I personally find that building is the most rewarding part. When I used to model in OO I just found myself buying the latest XYZ, running it  and then waiting for the next to come along and to purchase that...

Whereas with kit building I find a satisfaction from the build as well as the completed model, O gauge adding to that given the size and weight of the finished item.

Sadly I am space starved at my current abode and the garden is not much of a help either, I am however building a supply of stock and ideas so that when I move out of the South East and back up North the I shall be able to have that railway empire thatI always wished of....

Cheers

Andy

Thanks CME,

As much as I like some of the RTR, I have a Heljan 40 and a few Deltics, also Dapols 08, I personally find that building is the most rewarding part. When I used to model in OO I just found myself buying the latest XYZ, running it  and then waiting for the next to come along and to purchase that...

Whereas with kit building I find a satisfaction from the build as well as the completed model, O gauge adding to that given the size and weight of the finished item.

Sadly I am space starved at my current abode and the garden is not much of a help either, I am however building a supply of stock and ideas so that when I move out of the South East and back up North the I shall be able to have that railway empire thatI always wished of....

Cheers

Andy

Andy, I couldnt agree more. Your plan sounds like a good one to me. By the time Down Ampney is substantially complete it will probably be time to move (but the terminus and stock will be ready-I hope!).

Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

CME

Archived