RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I can think of quite a few shops that I wouldn't be too bothered about them closing.

Many years ago I used to buy all my undies and socks and an occasional 'woolly' in M&S.

Has anyone seen the Chinese rubbish they are (unsuccessfully) trying to sell these days?

There is a new British invention called an 'iron' which might improve some of the stock.

However, at £75 a pop for an inferior 'woolly' I shop elsewhere.

They ought to throw out the rag trade and concentrate on ready meals.

Not exactly a corner shop but I wouldn't have shares in their future.

Good LATE RISER morning.

I was up and ready to post at 6:30 my time but couldn't get connected (My Service provider, not RMWeb problem).

It's a clear Sunny day and promises 22C. First day in a long while I am going without my long johns!

The whole week and through the weekend we are promised clear Sunny weather.

I was getting depressed at out continual rain.

I must get a haircut today. A gent comes here every Wednesday. What little hair I've got is down my neck and sideburns.

Looking very unkempt at the moment.

I hope you are soon over your hump Bob.

Try a different shop and go and run some trains!

Is the extension progressing?

cool and dry this morning,fed jack,fed rabbits and dropped him off with grandmar....not the rabbits....phone bill arrived...seems bt has found some new things to charge for.....think ive got the hump now...still its not raining !  

• RMweb Gold

Travelled down to Margam yesterday.

Woke up to rain and grey skies.

I had to remind myself that this is not an unusual phenomena but completely normal for the land of my birth.

Apparently poor old Elsa got the hump after I left and spent most of the evening sitting by the front door awaiting my return.

However, I suspect the rest of the family breathed a sigh of relief and had a whale of a time.

Regards

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Another cool night, so another reasonable sleep. Some light rain during the night, but there is some sun at present, so it will cheer up, I'm sure. But of course it is too wet for me to do anything meaningful in the garden!

Cleaner Alison starts work this afternoon, so I will have to do some tidying to enable her to be productive.

Sherry really will have to get them to run that Portsmouth-Caen ferry a couple of hours earlier!

Hope your day pleases.

• Like 1

I'm delighted to note that I too now have cleaner(s). Nicky and Helen started yesterday having been found by no.2 son. I was in all sorts of a state before they came, and tried my best to clean up for them but they were brilliant and are now booked every Monday. I felt more positive yesterday than I have for a long time.

Off to see the gastro man at the hospital in a minute so not quite so positive today!

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Grey and overcast so far today in Leeds.

The joiner fitted the bathroom door yesterday but hasn't fitted any door furniture on those or the bedroom doors. 

original bathroom in bits downstairs - plumbers may return...

Rewiring proceeding - any ideas on how to fill in the old electrical outlets on our skirting boards??

Have a good day!

and Trisonic Pete - feh, feh, fetch a cloth Granville!

• RMweb Gold

That's straight out of SWMBO's lexicon of how to treat staff!

It's also essentially practical. If you allow someone else to tidy things away, they will put them where they think is best. Result - lost for decades!

Morning all. Looks to be all change for work at the end of August. I've been put onto a bid team for some secret squirrel stuff. That means 6 weeks of hiding in a bunker somewhere north of the Watford gap, no phones, no outside connections, and living in a hotel room during the week. I thought I'd finally grown out of doing that but.... it beats the current project and its array of <insert a previously used euphemism here> people.

The downside to this is I've now had to pull the layout out of the Seaboard Southern exhibition in Sept. :ireful:  Basically I've lost about half the preparation time left between now and Sept 21. Apologies again to Mr. Warbonnet. Not sure what I'll do now. The original plan was to exhibit the one time, see if I could still manage doing it on a regular/irregular basis, and decide whether to carry on or permanently ensconce the layout in the shed.  

The good news is tomorrow I pickup my older brother at LHR. First time I've seen him in nearly 4 years.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

The nice weather is being replaced by rain for the day apparently, still, being in work it doesn't worry me - I know a selfish view !

No rabbit or owl stories this morning however I encountered a mad March hare running down the middle of the road - several months too late, perhaps the weather affected him too ?

Have a good day all.

• RMweb Gold

Andrew

Heard about your job situation yesterday from Mr Warbonnet. These things happen but work pays the bills.

Was looking forward to operating Essex. Maybe next years show??

Are we meeting in Borough Market next week?

Ian

Rewiring proceeding - any ideas on how to fill in the old electrical outlets on our skirting boards??

For the long term, replace the boards, although your modelling skills may help to make a reasonable repair.

Edited for thick fingers.

Edited by DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

I am now de-humped!

Just had a surprise flying visit from my grandchildren en route to work with their Dad. (He's a school sports coach & runs various sports clubs at local schools during the holidays - the kids "assist") Their smiles are enough to cheer up the most miserable old so & so!

Don - I probably will run some trains later (I do most days) but the new extension to the layout has stalled. I've bought the timber & wheels but that's as far as I've got. I'm probably spending too much time here!

• RMweb Gold

My late Dad who was disabled had a cleaner for many years. He used to spend most of the day before her visits struggling  round the house "just to make sure it's tidy".

She told me herself that there wasn't much for her to do & felt that she didn't really earn her money. I said he was perfectly happy with the arrangement, enjoyed her company & the cakes she made & their chats while they were eating them. She was absolutely gobsmacked when he made her a small bequest in his will. A lovely lady who helped (among others) brighten up the last years of his life. 

• Like 9

Andrew

Heard about your job situation yesterday from Mr Warbonnet. These things happen but work pays the bills.

Was looking forward to operating Essex. Maybe next years show??

Are we meeting in Borough Market next week?

Ian

Hope there is a next year show and that I've not been blacklisted. :nono:  Not sure about Borough. We are off to Brussels and Amsterdam on Thurs at stupid o' clock so really Monday and Tue are our only available nights. Not sure where John will be either. The next 2 1/2 weeks are going to be rather improvised and busy.

I could tell everyone where the bunker is but it would be to hard to track you all down afterwards. :butcher:

On a last note for the day. I finally managed to create a chemical soup to stick the Peco track to the viaduct. Roughen the sleeper base, apply a Napthalene wash to soften the plastic slightly, and super thin cyano to stick it to the viaduct girders. Its still not as strong as I'd like but it hasn't popped off again so far like the PVA did.

• RMweb Gold

My mum, 80, still dusts and runs the vacuum cleaner over before her cleaner comes.

It's a pride thing I think, common to her generation.

• RMweb Gold

It's a trick - it's not there when you follow the directions.

Don't worry it is well signposted from Brentwood and Chipping Ongar. The signs have caused much amusement for many years for visitors to that part of Essex.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

the weather forecast says cloudy and it is, we have occasional showers too but the forecast seems to have overlooked them!

Now to disused electrical sockets - the bloke we bought our last house from had a simple answer to them - he just wallpapered over one so it was just as well it was behind the dining table because one day I clobbered the wallpaper and went straight though it, to reveal nice red & black wires :O   So proper way - put in or keep the box, properly terminate the cables to stop them touching each other (in our case I went under the floor and removed them completely), and either use a proper blanking plate or if you are sure everything is dead backfill with plaster.  But surely the sparky should have done the electrical bit and put on a blanking plate?  PS the chap we bought that house from was a Safety Officer in one of our friendly neighbourhood nuclear weapons plants - I'd better not mention the garage wiring which was even worse!

Daily Orders not yet posted.  Have a nice day folks

• Like 2