The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

As John says, a whole techie thread. Simple fix - recommended there - go to page bottom and look for "Change Theme " in blue on grey background. Click on it, and opt for "RMweb 2013". Job done.

Edited by Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Laddo duly dropped at LHR at 07.45, or thereabouts, and in plenty of time for his 09.55 flight to Copenhagen (thence, in a couple of days time by train to Hamburg, his pre-booked ticket for Miniatur Wunderland arrived yesterday - in the nick of time).  However chances of a proper job breakfast for me look remote as Mrs Stationmaster has returned to bed.

The day looks fine from a weather viewpoint, the BBC weather forecast is warning about the unseasonally strong sun 'more like June' it said - I thought it usually rained in June nowadays.  Anyway I might just get round to powering up the strimmer and doing a bit of cutting at all the grass which has sudden;y got rather long ... but on the other hand it will no doubt still be there tomorrow, probably.

Have a good day one and all.

Good morning all, late riser today due to staying awake until 2am watching the track laying by floodlight from my bedroom window! After the science of the afternoon, the ballasting seemed a much more 'low tech' affair. A long train of ballast wagons, JNAs and what looked like some JWAs, crept along the down line whilst a couple of 'diggers' with buckets moved back and forth on the new track, simply scooping out the ballast and dropping it in piles (regularly clouting the sides like the J. Arthur Rank gong at after midnight!). They later moved along the line scraping the ballast into some sort of level, the noise was similar to a teacher scraping her nails on the blackboard! Luckily Archie the Westie guard dog stayed asleep! Checked at 8.30 this morning and the ballast seems to be completely covering the 'sleepers' and has quite a pronounced ridge either side of the track. Their is a team of men a little way up the track that appear to be using shovels - I'll check when they get closer. I regret that sleep overtook me before I saw the motive power for the ballast train; I could hear it ticking over in the distance but was comatose before it passed! I have my decorators ladder by the back fence and hope for some photo opportunities later but I'm fairly sure I missed some movement in the night. All this is a far cry from the 16T ballast wagons and ex-G&SWR wooden ones that did this job when I was young. Hope the weather is as beautiful in your part of the world as it is here. Thank you all once again for your kindness,

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

There's a thread on this - are you using Internet Explorer?

I was John but have just switched to Chrome and that works OK.  I only started getting problems with IE last night which seems a bit strange but I'll have a thorough read of that thread later as I have to go out shortly.

As John says, a whole techie thread. Simple fix - recommended there - go to page bottom and look for "Change Theme " in blue on grey background. Click on it, and opt for "RMweb 2013". Job done.

Tried that Ian and it didn't work so will use Chrome for now.

Many thanks gents for your help.

I was brought up in Shenfield. Caught many late night Clacton trains from Liverpool Street and sailed straight through - usually because I was asleep...

Best, Pete.

Pretty tough that Peter, ending up in Clacton on the last train. Must have done the same as I have now lived here for 29+ years.

Loved the 'Big Apple' when I visited a couple of times - slightly different pace of life however ( always left more tired than when I arrived!). Kind regards,

Jock67B.

• RMweb Gold

I was brought up in Shenfield. Caught many late night Clacton trains from Liverpool Street and sailed straight through - usually because I was asleep...

About 20 years ago I was employing some fairly well-paid guys - analysts on my software project who earned much more than I did. A couple of them lived on the GE, and as they played hard every evening after work, so the tales of where the taxi had been from that night after oversleeping were legion. "You wanted Brentwood sir? Well, this is Ipswich and the taxis are right over there!"

• Like 2

Morning all, 

Major storm just passed through which has dropped the temperature to the high twenties (!) but I guess  it will soon be back to the mid thirties. 

Mind you my GF  is reporting that it's snowing in Billings (Montana ) so has had to change her travel plans for a couple of days. I did manage to get a bit of modelling done yesterday too, the "Steam Dummy"  is starting to look a bit like "Toby -the - Tram". (Or a Garden shed!) 

Off to Cellulite  City for lunch later,

Try and have a good day,

Trev

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning, planning a restful day after yesterdays gardening, lawn  mowing,scarifying,mowing/spiking and lawn food applied enuff said!

Note this is page 2500!

Yep I can join the "I can still get in the same size jeans club" 32 waist over the last 45 years with a six month dalliance at 34 waist a couple of years ago.

Notice in the paper ( Times)  this morning that in Dorking grapes from the Loire Valley are thriving and there are plans to extend the vineyard must be climate change!

Enjoy the day

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I was woken at 8, an unseemly hour for a Sunday, by Martyn and his Mum returning from a week in Jersey, just off the overnight boat to Potsmouth. They seem to have had a good time, visiting the Gerald Durrell zoo and the Steam and Transport Museum. Apparently they took loads of photos; hopefully I can get some copied to this laptop. Martyn now has an arm puppet dodo which has already pecked me in the style of Emu although without the full-on assault as on Parkinson.

Sunny at present, so may attack green things later. Last year's drought wiped out a lot of the grass at the back, new growth is in the form of assorted weeds.

Have a good day,

Pete

BLIMEY!!!!!!!

2500 pages.

Only Proust's 'À la recherche du temps perdu' is longer.

And almost as much drivel...............I mean thirty pages about regaining consciousness after being asleep (that was Proust not ER btw)

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Pretty tough that Peter, ending up in Clacton on the last train. Must have done the same as I have now lived here for 29+ years.

Loved the 'Big Apple' when I visited a couple of times - slightly different pace of life however ( always left more tired than when I arrived!). Kind regards,

Jock67B.

I never made it all the way through - usually Chelmsford. In that respect the old newspaper trains were better out of Liverpool Street (about 3:00am IIRC). More crowded more noisy...every stop, almost. I used to fish at Clacton (and Walton pier) occasionally, during the Cod season. You can tell then how long ago that was!

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

And almost as much drivel...............I mean thirty pages about regaining consciousness after being asleep (that was Proust not ER btw)

Best, Pete.

Only because nobody here is fully conscious yet.

Hi BoD, surely 'In Search of Lost Time' could sum up a lot of aspects of railway modelling? Ask the wife for instance!

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

PS only strange little muddy things from the sea here now Trisonic!

Edited by Jock67B

• RMweb Gold

Notice in the paper ( Times)  this morning that in Dorking grapes from the Loire Valley are thriving and there are plans to extend the vineyard must be climate change!

I believe Sherry and I may be meeting in that very vineyard - which used to be my cross-country course in skooldays - for a skool reunion in the Autumn. Denbies.

• Like 1

Grey-sky start on our beach walkies this morning......but the sun {she} is now shining. :sungum:

There`s much cookery here today; I`m sending my Mater and Pater off to the Isle of Man for a day`s cruise tomorrow and I`m preparing an extensive picnic to sustain the happy octogenarian-sojourners whilst 'overseas'.

It`s lovely seeing them going on these day trips and holding hands like a couple of teenagers (still very much in love; after 60+ years of marriage)........Hope the weather stays nice for them. :angel:

• Like 12

Update to previous new track post! As luck would have it, I was in the garden with camera in hand when the (now empty) ballast train came past on the wrong line from Clacton so I finally got to see the loco(s). Leading was 66725 in GBRf livery, the train being mainly made up of MHA and MTA wagons with, at the back, odd ones: OAA with caged mesh side doors replacing the wooden ones, an MFA, a really tatty OBA with lots of inset repair pieces and an FJA (with the 'J' blacked out for some reason) which also had caged mesh sides. The loco pushing at the rear was 66508 in Freightliner livery. If Southern42 would like a few of the pics, I will gladly oblige - May try to learn how to upload them from my PC when I get time. Volunteered to attack some of the green stuff now in order that I'll be in the garden for anything else that might happen along!

Enjoy the rest of your Palm Sunday,

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

While at Imperial College is worked in one of the bars of an evening and then had to get the train home to Reading. On quite a few occasions I was woken by cleaners at Oxford then it was hitch/walk home usually managed to get into bed about an hour before getting p to get the train to college in the morning. I then decided it would be better to stay in London but somehow found I was later getting into college.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Went to the Canvey show this morning, then realised if Tony S was there how would we recognise each other. Only a few layouts however plus a couple of bus and lorry dioramas and a few dealers so I only spent an hour and a half there.

• RMweb Gold

I was John but have just switched to Chrome and that works OK.  I only started getting problems with IE last night which seems a bit strange but I'll have a thorough read of that thread later as I have to go out shortly.

Tried that Ian and it didn't work so will use Chrome for now.

Many thanks gents for your help.

Eureka!!!   Now working on IE after running CCleaner to clear out all the crud and changing theme to RMWeb2013.  I am now a happy bunny Bobby. :imsohappy: (For now - it'll never last!)

• RMweb Gold

Went to the Canvey show this morning, then realised if Tony S was there how would we recognise each other. Only a few layouts however plus a couple of bus and lorry dioramas and a few dealers so I only spent an hour and a half there.

I didn't see anyone who looked like your avatar. Next time we must arrange a meeting point.

I did actually make some purchases. I bought a Morris Traveller, a milk float and a Royal Mail van from the stand selling die-cast and I bought a Stratford Blue bus from the museum shop. Thanks to the parking arrangements I now know where the Canvey football ground is too.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3