The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I've had success removing food stains from dining room chairs, armchairs and carpet using baby wipes. Try a very small area first in a circular motion and then dry as much as possible with paper kitchen towel by laying a double thickness of the kitchen towel on top and rubbing in a circular motion with the side of your fist.

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Gold

"she met him at Highland Dancing classes, and he introduced her to nudism"

Ian, I have sympathy for your friend but the way you worded the information does tend to make one think of the danger of dancing over crossed claymores in that condition.

ISTR that true Scots - and presumably their emulators (ooh!) - wear not a lot under the kilt, so the manoeuvre is a tricky one even for the well-dressed! As for the well-hung......

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've already packed a bag and as soon as I find my passport, I'm off. I am seriously in the doghouse. Sick to death of mundane Saturday night TV, I decided to do something useful last night and weather a Scalescenes card kit. If I had half a brain, I'd have done it at the dining room table. Does anyone know how to get Humbrol weathering powders out of a cream sofa? :blackeye:

I can never understand people who insist on very light plain carpets in their abode

Obviously never heard of what makes a hippo happy...............................

All together now!.............................

Mud, cake and Penderyn

• Like 5

I've already packed a bag and as soon as I find my passport, I'm off. I am seriously in the doghouse. Sick to death of mundane Saturday night TV, I decided to do something useful last night and weather a Scalescenes card kit. If I had half a brain, I'd have done it at the dining room table. Does anyone know how to get Humbrol weathering powders out of a cream sofa? :blackeye:

Would the management notice if you coloured the whole sofa? :no:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Pete I would have tried vacuum cleaning with dry stuff but if wet Mrs Stationmaster's method is mop up what you can first, the apply cold water (sparingly) to wash of the rest then apply Vanish in accordance with instructions on the bottle.  Definitely worked very well when I used it to remove cat p*ke from the carpet the other day.

Mixed weather outside - fist & mog across the valley. dark clouds to the north and bright sunshine to the south east, I wonder which will win?

Have a good day one & all.

PS  In yesterday's 'Telegraph' there were some interesting (i.e. cheapish and good destinations) cruises advertised on a small(ish) ship called MV Azores so i decided to find out a bit more about the ship - a look on Wikipedia gave me its full(ish) history -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Azores

This led me to the company which will be operating it in 2015 and their other ships, such as MS Marco Polo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Marco_Polo

At this point I decided discretion was the better part of valour and with histories like that, and proof that grounding - if not lightning, can strike twice, any ideas rapidly vanished.  However just for amusement I looked at the state of bookings on the cruise which had first caught my attention - and rather peculiarly found all the inside cabins had been booked but there are plenty of outside ones left; who wants to go on a cruise and not have a view of the sea etc?  (while understanding that those formerly in marine engineering probably didn't the choice of course)

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Even though the kids are 11 and 15, we still have baby wipes in the house as they're just so useful. 

Same here with grandchildren of 15, 12 & 10. TBH I even carry a small "handy pack" of them in one of my many trouser pockets whenever we go out!  The old scouting motto springs to mind!

• Like 5

Back again, 

Thought you might like this photo my GF sent me from her current hotel in California.   It's a Hummingbird drinking from a water fountain. No fancy camera or tripod used. 

Now pups demanding walkies, and the suns coming out.

Be good,  (or careful!)

Trev.

(Edited for spelling)

post-4282-0-17505000-1416133207.jpg

Edited by travelintrev
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I thought of that (briefly) but I only have a little of the "sooty black" shade left now! Maybe enough for a napkin or a tea towel...

I seem to recall an ER weathered his staircarpet. That may have been sooty black too.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all your good wishes, the engineer has restarted the boiler and shown me what to do next time. The last time it happened it was a leaky radiator and I assumed it was the same again but it turned out to be just a drop in mains pressure.

Pressure drop in a combi boiler can be due to a leak in a rad, or the pipework, or just due to a slow gradual drop in the pressure in the system - usually the boiler will not trip if the pressure drops below about half the rated system pressure - which tends to be about one bar.

I'll come back later with more updates etc...

• RMweb Gold

Pressure drop in a combi boiler can be due to a leak in a rad, or the pipework, or just due to a slow gradual drop in the pressure in the system - usually the boiler will not trip if the pressure drops below about half the rated system pressure - which tends to be about one bar.

I'll come back later with more updates etc...

Or a fault/leak in the boiler itself (as happened with ours - and it took 5 different British Gas service fitters to find it, after we'd had tests on the system trying to find where the water had gone).

• RMweb Premium

Nice room at the Duke of Edinburgh Hotel (8 real ales on tap in bar downstairs!!)

Good hotel, that - owned my a couple of lads called Phil and Matt, who also own a few pubs and the Lancaster Brewery - so my guess is four Lancaster beers and four guests, one of which will probably be a Thwaites brew.  They also own the Sun Hotel in Lancaster, which is a smaller hotel, but has a similar standard of room. 

A most enterprising pair whom I have known for some years now.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Lots and lots of posts to catch up, and also late on parade as down for dinner duty among other little domestic tasks. 

In fact, not a right lot to say today.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Doggy update.

As the morning progressed Robbie seemed a bit more lively but was not going to eat his food. He did seem interested in some rice but not if it was nearby his dog bowl. In the past on the few occasions he won't eat his food he would eat fish and rice. So I went off to the new Aldi and got a pack of cod fillets and he soon ate the bowl of cod and rice I gave him. We are off for a walk soon.

• RMweb Gold

The whisky enthusiasts here might like this, which I found on Facebook just now in a personal reminiscence :

"I remember when Ingram had his 70th birthday. He wrote to Bells whisky and told them they had had never once sent him a birthday card despite drinking their whisky for many years. They wrote back and enclosed many Bells gifts one of which was a whisky umbrella which be carried out each night on his pub walk for many years!"

I wonder if they still have such an attitude to their adherents?

• Like 10