The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Yes, it is brushed.

I bought her an Airbrush for Christmas but she hasn't been brave enough to try it yet!

Maybe worth trying some matt acrylic varnish - especially over the transfers - to preserve this very good work.

Just about thawed out now after an hour of delivering leaflets for my party of choice. I was relieved to get round without slipping and falling on the icy pavements, and people I spoke to were quite friendly. Only one chap called me back to return the leaflet, and he was quite polite about it.

I was musing on one occasion some years ago when I was looking for people to take posters for an upcoming general election and, on spec, knocked at the door of one house in a good position. An elderly man with a rather vacant expression appeared:

“Yes?”

“Hello, could I ask who you intend to vote for in the election?”

“Yes.”

“Well... Who are you going to vote for?”

“Yes.”

“Would you prefer ________, or ________?”

“Yes.”

“Well, thanks for your time, goodbye”

“Yes.”

I went off thinking: “Auld dotard”, but on further reflection envisaged him returning to the sitting room and his wife asking:

“Who was it, dear?”

“Oh, one of that lot; wanted to know how I was going to vote in the general election.”

“What did you say, dear?”

“I just kept saying 'yes' until he went away.”

“Quite right, dear. Shall I put the Elgar back on?”

Evening all. I hope all well, only a brief appearance on here tonight so not a lot of chance to catch up on comments since my last post. The bugs remain rife here. Sarah spent much of last night being sick, and Amber woke up at 3am doing the same. The latter does seem to be on the mend with less eye gunk, she is just very tired now.

I seem to be emerging through the other side and feel much better - perhaps there is something to be said for struggling on. Sadly it looks like any hopes of attending the Stafford show have disappeared. I have been really looking forward to this show, but the girls are not in any fit state for me to swan off on a jolly tomorrow. I somehow doubt things will improve in time for me to make the Sunday either.

Is it wrong and uncaring to feel quite fed up by this? Probably! But after a week spent trying to plan on the hoof to cover for an ill student and then go home to care for ill wife and daughter, all while ill myself, I had hoped to at least relax for a few hours at Stafford. Oh well - at least I got to see Queen!

Evening all,

Busy on a snow free day today, but lots accomplished!

Pete (trisonic), I make you right on the madness of the collectors world - be interesting to see what it finally makes! I was lucky enough to meet the young man on several occasions when he was in FF2000 and F3 in the UK - I was assisting with the engineering of the Reynard cars at that time. Surprising how many people said 'that boy could be world champion one day!'

Robert, I did ask Joanna once if she fancied doing some modelling but had to reserve comment when she said 'I think my body has gone a bit too far for that now darling'!! Only just bit my tongue and suppressed a guffaw!

Neil, that news about Jayne has really cheered me up. Please don't lose sight of the fact that Debs and you played a large part in the 'rehabilitation' process - we need a larger 'Friendly/Supportive' heart symbol for both of you!

Hopefully the Stafford show will be a success for all involved, especially our exhibiting/visiting members. Wish you were here? You bet I do!

Have a great weekend all,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night all!

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Hasn't it been bloody cold this week?!

I walked to the shop (4 min walk away) and by the time I got home I was frozen to the core. I dunno, us soft southerners...

Anyway apologies for not popping in for a few days. My mum's situation at work has only got worse, and she has now put in for voluntary redundancy (more like unfair dismissal in my book!!). So my job this week has been to comfort her and support her. The fact is, she is a bloody brilliant teacher, the kids love her, she gets the results the school want, but the head has the cheek to attempt to put her on an "formal incapability procedure". Long story short, this is not the way she wanted her career to end. Although I think she is still going to look for part time work come October.

Anyway onto happier news, I have embarked on a new layout after The Old Road... well, didn't happen! So time to disassemble the boards, and sell the untouched track as I've moved on to a smaller and more manageable project - a little layout in 009. I love this scale because it is the best of three worlds;

1. The scale is 1:76, so easy to work in.
  2. The trackwork is the same gauge as N, so you can fit a lot in.
  3. You can get away with all sorts of funny looking locos and stock!

So I'm off to the model shop tomorrow to see if I can pick up some bits. There's a link in my signature if you want to follow my progress :D

Usual apologies for not being able to catch up properly, but I heard Judge went for an operation, and others are a bit down in the dumps. So I hope you all make a full recovery as soon as possible, and if nothing else we are all friends here so if you need to let off some steam...

Cold wintery day, snow from yesterday still hanging around on the roofs and the field opposite. Learning to do many things one-armed, such as typing this post.

Also just made my first ever bids on ebay...

It's a slippery slope Squid... :O just won my latest item, Hornby "Clan Line" for 43quid (admittedly on eBay US where often things are easier to win cheap!)!! Has a valve gear disconnected on one side, but otherwise boxed VGC, going to be a donor for 35010 Blue Star

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. I do feel that things still aren't all right, but at least I'm a little better by now...

Hasn't it been bloody cold this week?!

I walked to the shop (4 min walk away) and by the time I got home I was frozen to the core. I dunno, us soft southerners...

Anyway apologies for not popping in for a few days. My mum's situation at work has only got worse, and she has now put in for voluntary redundancy (more like unfair dismissal in my book!!). So my job this week has been to comfort her and support her. The fact is, she is a bloody brilliant teacher, the kids love her, she gets the results the school want, but the head has the cheek to attempt to put her on an "formal incapability procedure". Long story short, this is not the way she wanted her career to end. Although I think she is still going to look for part time work come October.

Jam, you know we've been talking about that matter elsewhere, but if I were in your mum's place, I'd feel like retaliating by way of an unfair dismissal suit and possibly demanding financial compensation if they should really follow through. I know that it will be hard to muster the strength for that when you've been that worn down by bureaucratsiya already, but if it comes to that, going out with a bang rather than a whimper when all other options have been exhausted would at least entail some satisfaction… Just a thought that came to my mind.

• Like 5

Morning all, 

A bad day for me yesterday..........probably knock on  from Wednesdays food-less and almost drink-less -so as I felt so rough (suspect a touch of heat stroke) I came home at 1:30 --- slept through  till seven , made a cup of tea - went back to bed,  then around 2 am woke up starving so had yesterdays lunch time sandwich! back to sleep till 7:30 now still not a 100%  but getting there. 

Lets hope we all have a safe weekend?

Trev.

Morning all. The thermometer tells me that its 1 degree outside but it feels more like -3 and frost on the ground. Having to work again today (not a fan of Saturday working) but at least I can leave home that little bit later..

Enjoy the weekend and hopefully those that are unwell will at least feel better to enjoy some of it.

• Like 8

Good morning. Like Pete, miss a couple of episodes of ERs and so much has happened. Like long running soaps, you soon catch up.

A little snow in Watton. Hope it's not too much as I'm making my new lady an honest woman today. A civil ceremony then afternoon tea. I wanted to go to Dobbies, but it's a bit too far (if your in Kings Lynn the afternoon tea is A1, next to Tesco).

Actually glued some baseboards yesterday.

Have a good weekend.

• Like 12

It's a slippery slope Squid... :O

I originally signed up as it was the only source of a part I needed for a failed Fleischmann loco, but happened to chance upon a couple of items on my want-list (among my gentle obsessions is a scheme to recreate my childhood OO stock in N). Due to exchange rates I'm avoiding buying overseas stuff at the moment. However as far as slippery slopes go, I must be the major market for 2nd-hand Graham Farish stuff in the Tokyo area (its surprising what turns up here, I just relieved a 2nd hand store of a Farish trainset with non-working loco for a smidgen more than 30 quid, just need to source a replacement gear and it should be good to go).

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Wow what a breakfast, I am stuffed

post-1557-0-40556800-1422692731_thumb.jpg

Well that is the plates for five of us!!!

We had a good run on LMR last night arriving on time into Stafford.

Then it was a few pints from Titanic brewery in one of their pubs in town.

It snowed quite hard last night here in Stafford but only settled a little but all gone around the hotel.

Looking forward to the show this weekend.

• Like 11

Mornin' all,

Congratulations Ernie!

Close to borderline snow conditions for cycling this morning but a few days inactivity due to the weather tipped the balance. It proved a 50/50 constitutional....half on wet tarmac and half on 2 inches of freshly fallen snow. The overcast and relatively mild conditions ensured clear roads and a continuing thaw at lower levels but this changed on the climb towards Morridge. Traction/grip was much better on the snow than in the wheel tracks of the occasional vehicle, where it changed to hard slush. Care had to be taken with any braking or steering but on the whole good exercise was to be had. Dropping towards the reservoir reversed the situation with snow covered roads giving way to wet again. The birds seem to have more to sing about at the moment too....a welcome accompaniment to the early morning ride.

In the quest to regain a flat stomach I've increased the frequency and energy input of the cycling and reduced the beer/wine intake....I'm slowly winning the battle but no relaxing for a while yet.

A little modelling on the cards today.

Feathered ones remembered.

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 11