RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Another sunny morning.

Apart from short formed trains all seems well on Southern in our area so far. Trains do seem to be a lot busier this morning but ours is its normal length as were the preceding Vic and Thameslink services.

This Friday we are taking the train to Macclesfield to help Phatbob with Appledore. Does seem odd to be doing a show without taking a layout even if it is my old layout!!!

Might have to take a few Bulleid light Pacifics with me though.

Not much else to report.

• Like 9

morning all,still catching up,plus lack of sleep as jack was off tune a little last night and ended up diagonal across me and the missis,funny he was then quite comfy.....daisy was out for the count,talk about role reversal.....missed kettering so will have to wait for the write up,work.....bright but cold here even a bit of frost on the car,havbe a good day all.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sunny here and forecast to remain so all day. 10C this afternoon.

Not a lot happening here today, though I suspect I may wander out to the garage at some point and look at trains or do some more sorting out of bits and pieces storage.

Tony

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, a bright sunny day here not warm but feel good weather shame I am sat in the office most of the day. I too read about being 'recalibrated' with a hint of despair I am what I am and if you want to judge me get on with it. I am worried about Trev though and his girlfriend it seems most unlike him. He did have some fairly esoteric railway items that he was trying to sell maybe that would be a way to find him but he may not want to be found. Dom nothing better for you than being out in good weather doing what you like doing so some pictorial evidence would be good. Jock if you regard RMweb as an internet club then as in real life you cannot get on with everyone in it so you pick and choose friends or like minded souls to gravitate towards.

• Like 7

Morning all from the boring boring borough.

Some how I've managed to "embuggerage" (love that, consider it nicked) my knee. Off to the quack for him to send me for x-rays then refer me to another quack who will eventually send me for some more x-rays and or MRI no doubt. Maybe I should just limp into the A&E and save myself 6 weeks of pain. No good news out of Canada I'm afraid. My Aunt has been discharged and is home under the supervision of a palliative care nurse. Just awaiting the dreaded phone call that will come in the next few days. At least she will be surrounded by family and in her own home.

Mal, good to hear your mum is heading home.

herb v 'erb. Strange that but most likely down to attempting the French pronunciation. Like café v caff. Pretentious, moi?

Andy, congrats on the invite. Hopefully it will lead to more.

The bench? I'd have to change the rules slightly. It would be my dad but only if we could wander to the pub for a pint. Something we never managed to do as he died when I was 21 and was ill for several years before that. The plan was always to have a few in the Prairie Inn after his surgery and when they'd settled in Victoria. He never made it. Sorry for being fairly maudlin but its been that kind of month so far.

I've looked in on the negative or should that be nag-ative thread. All its done is provide a few more names to add to my twit filter.

Have a good one all. Another coffee is calling to me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As for cranking up the amp - one of my all time favourites is the version of Echoes that Pink Floyd played in the film "Live At Pompeii". I remember being incredibly impressed, when I watched the film as a teenager, seeing the WEM cabinets quite literally throbbing to Roger Waters' baseline in Echoes. When all the neighbours are away, crank it up to 11

Gibson ES335 customised a la Alvin Lee run through a HI-WATT amp (interestingly, a

I helped carry those cabinets up several flights of stairs at the Students' Union when Floyd were appearing there - I was having a pint when there was a call for people to help shift the band's equipment.  Those who did were rewarded with a complimentary ticket to the gigs that were taking place there - Floyd one night, and Yes the following night. 

Also I saw Alvin Lee give that 335 a good outing at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh.

Got to get the shopping now, so I'll be back later to get fully caught up.

• Like 14

Much brighter this morning although we still have a bitterly cold wind. However, we have to make the most of this window of opportunity as the gales are returning this evening, so I will be out in the garden this morning, mixing mortar and rat proofing (hopefully) the wall.

Very pleasant over on the beach this morning, even if the exposed bits felt the cold. For the second day, there were a very large flock of oyster catchers and our resident ringed plovers also put in an appearance. No gulls, I think they had gone into town for an early breakfast.

On the subject of birds Jock, I think the one in the photo is meant to be a redshank, but in reality it's a bit of a generic shank/sandpiper. It was a present from Lucy for baby sitting while she had the twins as I had admired one that she had. They probably came from Thomas Tosh (very nice coffee shop/gift shop) in Thornhill.

Enough of this pointless time wasting, have a nice day!

• Like 10

Morning all - blue skies with wispy cloud over Borough Market Junction this morning. I've not really thought about who I'd want to speak to on the bench - but I must say Jock that if your father was  polymath, it seems to run in the family. Not a lot to report this morning, though I nearly ended up in the doghouse this morning as the Mrs asked me to post a birthday card to her nephew on the way down the road. "Yes", I say, "I haven't forgotten". I put my coat and walk out the door round the corner and see the postbox......quick sprint back to the house to be greeted by "did you forget the card?"

South Eastern surprised us yesterday by running 10 coaches on our train unannounced - it's usually 8 and wasn't one of the ones that they announced they would strengthen. Wasn't any less crowded and meant my carefully chosen waiting place wasn't ideal but welcome nonetheless.

Now I must go and look at the negativity thread to increase my sense of self worth. I already know I'm not a modeller as I wouldn't dare ruin the expensive RTR locos I've bought. One day I will have a go at weathering a truck or two (Baz's thread is most instructive). But the key phrase is "one day". I am very much a planner of tasks rather than a completer I'm afraid

• Like 11

Much brighter this morning although we still have a bitterly cold wind. However, we have to make the most of this window of opportunity as the gales are returning this evening,

Who's Gale, where is she returning from, and does your wife know? :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

sorry couldn't resist.

Good morning from a bright and sunny Carshalton-sur-Mer. There should be a good whelk harvest today, and maybe even shrimps.

The car goes in to have the steering fixed in a bit (as soon as the school run is over) and then it's off to Scotts for some sausages (we ate the last yesterday evening) and proper bacon. The robin will be happy as he gets the rind. And maybe something tasty for dinner tonight. Then lifting stuff into the loft (as planned for yesterday) and painting a T9 black.

The garage couldn't fix the car yesterday because the guy who works on it's father was injured in a motorcycling accident and he was at the hospital with him. I hope he's OK.

In fact yesterday became a non-day, if you know what I mean. I'm sure we all have them when we're retired. But they're frustrating.

I've looked at the negativity thread. Some people just don't get it, do they? Talk about 'the ego has landed'. Julie is suffering from similar in her craft association - people who think the world is waiting with bated breath for their opinion. As I've seen them described: 'People who Speak Loudly in Restaurants'.

Have a good day, especially you poor souls using London Bridge.

• Like 17

Greetings from the bowels of Tokyo, where you find me taking a train home from my currently weekly dentistry activity. For my next trick I shall work out how to submit my tax return for last year, which is due in a few days. Personally I find the trips to the dentist more fun and not as expensive.

May your day be devoid of either (unless you are a dentist or tax person of course)

Edited by railsquid

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A quick trip into town beckons as the weather is so good. Mel, for your mothers transport an MPV (people carrier) would seem to be ideal. Most manufacturers produce two or three different models in various sizes and they're ideal for transporting layouts, I have had several over the years including my current car.

• Like 6

Just how lovely is today's weather. Hope those with ailments various who are UK based get the benefit of it.

The 'suitable car' problem. With several elderly regularly transported by the two of us we put in considerable time finding one they could get in and out of most easily. I had been keen in prospect on the Toyota Verso, but while it met our needs; the seat height was too great for MiL whom we used as the convenient typical reference for an elderly and somewhat mobility challenged person, as it was a step up to get in. Somewhat to our surprise we settled on a Vauxhall Astra as having seats at the right height, doors that open widely enough, and the largest size vehicle my wife is comfortable with, (she is the primary user) and a year in, it has proven to perform well against all the requirements we set out. Now to see if we can keep this one going for at least twenty years.

...May your day be devoid of eithrt ...

I think I can safely say none of that is coming my way ;-)

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

And a bright sunny one it is - therefore the gardening gang intend to be hard at it, meanwhile I will be working hard at RMweb, oh and going to Tesco.

Alas the negativity thread has done exactly what I expected - unveil a lot of negativity, much of it from those who don't understand (don't want to understand?) how the forum works or what they could get out of it if they approached it in a positive way.  Ah well the world has long been blessed with those who are at their happiest when being miserable so I suppose such reactions could have been expected.  As for the t***p*t who suggested closing down Wheeltappers (and thereby ERs) I don't think he entirely got the point when Beast, and then I, responded by suggesting to cut out everything except threads dealing with signalling (I expect he's frightened of it).  But it's all part of life's rich pageant and when I look at several recent threads (especially Buy & Sell) I can quite understand Andy's frustration.

Anyway have a good day one & all.

• Like 3

Morning all,

Whilst running the sales department of a busy little Citroën garage, I decided (principally because of a deal that I couldn't refuse!) to buy a Citroën C3 Picasso for Joanna as she found the seat height perfect, taking into account the arthritis in her hip. The other consideration was, of course, that Archie the Westie's travel cage could stay in the boot! Little did I know that I would contract this dread disease some months later, thankfully to discover that the car was perfectly suited to my revised requirements. The very economic Diesel engine, which I chose for economy for the longer journeys I envisaged on retirement is not ideal for the daily short runs to nursery with great grandson but the regular runs to Colchester hospital give me a chance to 'clear out' the exhaust filter. Another advantage of the diesel is that the braking is assisted by a vacuum pump and so there is no need for heavy pedal pressure. The clutch is very light, and I use the cruise control at every opportunity on the open road (driving by buttons on the steering column!), all of which make driving easy considering that I have tumours in my pelvis. A cushion with 'gel' pad from Coopers of Stortford also helps. Not an advert, I promise you, but this particular vehicle gave a new lease of life to many of my disabled and Motability clients.

Hope you all have a good day, mine is shaping up to become a 'shopathon' so I'm off to get ready!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

Morning all - bright and sunny here, but still a cold wind.  Off to the pub at lunchtime for a works leaving 'do' (sadly not mine just yet!), but no alcohol as I am back to work for the afternoon.

On the negativity bit, I can only assume that the person who wants Wheeltappers shut down does not appreciate the social aspects of our hobby, which to me is one of the best parts of it.  I think I spent about 20 minutes at my MRC last night actually running trains, while the rest of the time was spent having a catch-up and natter with friends.  Wheeltappers is much the same, but just not face to face.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

And a bright sunny one it is - therefore the gardening gang intend to be hard at it, meanwhile I will be working hard at RMweb, oh and going to Tesco.

Alas the negativity thread has done exactly what I expected - unveil a lot of negativity, much of it from those who don't understand (don't want to understand?) how the forum works or what they could get out of it if they approached it in a positive way.  Ah well the world has long been blessed with those who are at their happiest when being miserable so I suppose such reactions could have been expected.  As for the t***p*t who suggested closing down Wheeltappers (and thereby ERs) I don't think he entirely got the point when Beast, and then I, responded by suggesting to cut out everything except threads dealing with signalling (I expect he's frightened of it).  But it's all part of life's rich pageant and when I look at several recent threads (especially Buy & Sell) I can quite understand Andy's frustration.

I havent even looked at Buy and Sell but now you mention it I might :sungum:

• Like 3

Morning all (just!).  Committee appearance at the Parliament done.  All went swimmingly.  Now to write a presentation for tomorrow, host two (!) dinners this evening (I may be like the Vicar of Dibley at Christmas...), then have the BIC meeting tomorrow.  Assuming that the NI delegation haven't fallen out.

I'll sleep when I get home tonight...  Nothing planned now for tomorrow night so once my 3-4.30 meeting finishes I plan to go home and sleep!!

Won't be online tomorrow, so have a fun Hump Day when it comes...

• Like 1

Morning all,

This bit of the gardening department is gardened to a standstill. Digging the veg patch came to an earlier than anticiated halt when I found an inch-and-a-half thick tree root buried about 18 inches down. The subsequent destructive process was rather exhausting (and indeed a complete and total embuggerance - no I don't know where I got that word from but it is an excellent one). Mind you I was going to stop fairly soon anyway because of the racing.

As for them as object to the existence of this bit of the forum... Nobody's forcing them to read it. Though perhaps we could go and inflict ourselves on certain other areas of RMweb for a while.  :sarcastichand:  I mean I've bought a couple of wagon kits, surely I don't have to actually build them to be a proper modeller? :senile:

• Like 12