The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

we seem to be awash with sailing jokes... three pages since this morning ... steady away chaps and chapesses!

My patience is being tested. I do not like anyone trying to use smoke and mirrors with me especially when they are a "Executive Director".. seems like my "Super Peter Principal"1is alive and well in the County of Yorkshire...pah humbug!!

Baz

1 where someone is appointed to a role one level higher thantheir competence and are rewarded for c&cking simple tasks up by being promoted again

• Like 1

.. seems like my "Super Peter Principal"1is alive and well in the County of Yorkshire...pah humbug!!

Baz

1 where someone is appointed to a role one level higher thantheir competence and are rewarded for c&cking simple tasks up by being promoted again

Well known way of getting rid of useless employees who, however, present themselves well. I knew someone like that who was promoted 4 levels in a very pyramidal UK Civil Service organisation (there are/were some of those) purely as a means of getting him out of successive supervisors' hair!

06:28 ECR -VIC cancelled (8 coaches) but managed to sardine myself on the 06:31 (4 coaches)

Great start to the day

As if an 06:28 start wasn't great enough! Oh, how I miss work! (NOT!)

• Like 2

one yellow line means single parking, two means double parking and a 'no parking' cone means this spot reserved specifically for you!

I thought it was one means no parking, two means no parking at all, and three means no parking at all at all.

Continuing our series "Useful Things To Do With Old Sleepers".

The domestic authorities made a greenhouse mandatory. Our back "garden" is basically a pile of basalt rubble. (The real-estate agent would probably call it "well drained soil".) I tried "nailing" the sleepers into the ground with rebar, but there is so much rock, that proved impossible. So I came up with this -

post-25691-0-49853900-1427309264_thumb.jpg

The clue is in this pic. Those grey things are bits of pipe used as spacers on the two long pieces of rebar that thread through all the sleepers in the flight. It's basically a ladder made of sleepers. (A bit of ballast required here.)

post-25691-0-40078200-1427309291_thumb.jpg

When I made the upper flight I used a much better drilling jig that sets the rebar lower down in the sleepers.

post-25691-0-54430800-1427309308_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Some impressive landscapers abound in here.  Had I known I would have hired one or both of you….

Golfing today at West Berks and played out of my skin and won our match.  Feeling great, so phoned home to see how things were progressing.  There was some hesitation in my dear lady's voice.  When asked I was told 'well it's fine, but not what I expected'......

Having got home, they have indeed done a reasonable job, but I expected the slabs to be lined out square whereas they have staggered them.  Of course I haven't got a leg to stand on as I disappeared off to play golf…:-)

My dear lady, bless her, gave me a big hug and told me there are far more important things in life and once the filter tank and associated pipework is in place, then it will be fine….and of course it will be, but sometimes initial impressions stay with you if they are short of your expectations.

Of course, I now have a permanent monument of the day I buggered off to golf and left her to deal with the tradesmen…. :D

Another piece of ammunition to be recalled in the heat of the moment... :(

• RMweb Premium

Epic tirade!  :O

I don't know about you, but I wondered: Wouldn't it be nice if, just sometimes, you could tell someone you don't get along with regardless of what you tried what to do with themselves like that?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Mick - long time observer here (I prefer this term to lurker!), but your account of your travels has prompted me to dig out some of my slides of 40 years ago, when I was back-packing through the High Andes by bus and rail. The narrow gauge line from Cuzco down the Urubamba Valley to Aguas Calientes was steam-worked in those days (4-6-0s and 2-8-2s). You may recognise some of the locations, including the mixed gauge track through the streets of Cuzco and the spirals above the town. Apologies for the picture quality - need a better scanner!

Incidentally, my recollection of my travels is living off something like £1 a day for accommodation and food. However, the former was pretty basic - hot water was an extra charge in many "pensiones". Your own accommodation sounds rather more up-market - enjoy!

David C.

Thans for the pics David, an interesting comparison to my traction.

Apparently the curves and switchbacks out of Cusco are unrecgnisable from only 6-7 years ago due to expansion of housing into the area. You have to look hard from the road to see the railway as it threads through the houses.

The train journey from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes parallels the Rio Volcanito for it's entire length. 40km and not a single flat or uphill section. The ruling gradient looked to be about 1 in 40!

The trip was in a 3 car DMU, but I think tomorrow's return is loco hauled. That should be noisy!

We've been into Machu Picchu and it is simply stunning. Having a quick break at the nearby hotel before walking the 50m back to the gate, hopefully, the crowds will have died down a bit.

Pics later, it may be difficult to decide the best ones as the scenery is flipping awesome!

Cheer,

Mick

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

The day started with a hard frost, and ended up with washing up, so Debs ditty wasn't quite right.....

Bought a loading tower thing to add to the cement works on my HO layout, to try to boost my USA modelling mojo, which left two years ago and hasn't really returned.  My mind is on Southern region 1960's 3rd rail, but with a half finished US layout I can't bear to scrap in the garage, I reckon if I get on with more scenery maybe I can kick start myself into getting some use out of it while I plan matters Southern, 3rd rail and parcels depot-like!

• Like 11