RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a wet and windy Estuary-Land. I do not have the luxury of living in a micro climate like Tony, in fact I live on top of a hill, one of the highest points in Essex, all of 65 metres above sea level, and in fact only a short distance from the highest point in East Anglia, Langdon Hills which is 118 metres. Was woken this morning by a strange noise coming from the kitchen, it turned out to be the kitchen clock resetting itself to BST. I have had the clock for at least 15 years and its the first time I have been awake to see this happening.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

Having returned thoroughly kn*ckered yesterday from Ally pally I left reporting in until today - and then we had to do Friday's Waitrose trip which had been replaced by 'playing with concrete' on its booked day, then it was bacon sarnies, and finally we've got here.

Great to meet various of the ER brethren at Ally Pally yesterday - not at all surprised to see Ian (Roundhouse) with a drink in his hand (in a paper cup of course) but rather surprised by what it was - I'll do nothing to spoil his reputation; and Star Lane was running very well, some definite improvements had taken place there.  We duly managed to meet Colin (Penfold) and had a very convivial time chatting, looking at layouts, drinking (non-acoholiv) beverage and so on - only to be joined by Tony who somehow managed to find us - probably because we were standing in the middle of an aisle where he wanted to see a layout.  So very peasant and social and all that plus meeting various other folk I knew.  I did not take any photos - probably too busy chatting and looking at layouts to do that - but there is a treat below for those who like pics.  Anyway taken all round I thought it was a good show, - varied trade (I only bought a wagon and a couple of magazines) and a variety of layouts some of which were excellent and most of which were very entertaining, plus some very pleasant company and nice folk to chat with.

Now seeing as Pete has my home town as his UK weather example and seeing as Nidge (Rugd) was recently on about George Harrison here are a couple of pics I took when I made a  small detour on my way to the surgery last Thursday - this is the front entrance to Friar Park, the late GH's home when he lived here later in his life and where his second wife still loves (busily upsetting nearby neighbour Rodney Bewes  - Bob in 'The likely Lads' - with the razor wire on one of the boundary fences  (extreme edge of the first pic) which he claims injured his cat - such is life in a small(ish) town.

Have a good day one & all

post-6859-0-46432800-1427630357_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-97016800-1427630371_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-00261100-1427630432_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Painting, decorating, Ironing, vacuuming and polishing, but we'll forgive you if you can't achieve all this at the same time!

You forgot to mention that it is obligatory to post photos of model trains?

You know how "she" approves of such practices! ;)  :no:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The sun was out so Elsa and I went for a walk up to the weald moor.

We were at the point furthest from the house,  then the weather decided to bring a gale along for some fun and mixed it with some driving rain that had aspirations of F1.

Now, being wet and muddy on arrival at the Hippodrome is a fine thing, so I was somewhat surprised to have the Obergrumpenfuhrer come rushing up with a towel crying out:

'You poor thing, let me dry you, and we'll put the fire on to get you warm!'

I needn't have worried, as it was Elsa that received all the attention.

It's a dog's life I tell you.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

You forgot to mention that it is obligatory to post photos of model trains?

You know how "she" approves of such practices! ;)  :no:

That's sneaky Andy:

There hasn't been a public flaying by 'her' on ER's for some time.

It'll be fun to see another after so long.

Folk do get complacent don't they?

The sun was out so Elsa and I went for a walk up to the weald moor.

We were at the point furthest from the house,  then the weather decided to bring a gale along for some fun and mixed it with some driving rain that had aspirations of F1.

Now, being wet and muddy on arrival at the Hippodrome is a fine thing, so I was somewhat surprised to have the Obergrumpenfuhrer come rushing up with a towel crying out:

'You poor thing, let me dry you, and we'll put the fire on to get you warm!'

I needn't have worried, as it was Elsa that received all the attention.

It's a dog's life I tell you.

It's EXACTLY the same here.

• RMweb Premium

Welcome to the Twilight Zone, Andy. We don't bite (at least I don't) ...

Talking of clocks, fun fact - we have an "atomic" one which is powered by a normal battery but adjusts itself automatically to a signal sent by some sort of atomically-controlled clock in... Fukushima. The prefecture, that is, not the eponymous power station.

That still is a somewhat bitter kind of ironic coincidence to my mind!

We duly managed to meet Colin (Penfold) and had a very convivial time chatting, looking at layouts, drinking (non-acoholiv) beverage and so on 

Such spelling suggests otherwise :mosking: ...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Flash thought:

Hokkaido has a brewery called Abashiri which sells a range of beers, including Bilk, a blend of beer and milk.

Am I the only one who sees an association to "bilge" there?  :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Welcome Andy. Some us seem to a washed up on here after some traumatic time in our lives. The regulars dispensed sympathy and sage advice which seem in short supply elsewhere. Best advice is to be yourself. I sometimes post things I think are funny and get sympathy rarely the other way round.

Don

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all

A bit wan today, after a poor night and now a poor day! Not sure I quite got the pineapple reference, and I'm pleased to say I certainly haven't been offered the pineapple treatment. At least not lately.

Smiffy - no experience of roller shutters. My neighbour across the road has one, but other parts of his house (C19) make do with wood. Are your wooden shutters rattling in the wind or something? Even the most modern houses here seem to have wooden shutters, with the roller variety being relatively uncommon. Some in St Cosme even have metal shutters. What happens in a power-cut?

F1 was a good deal spicier than last season, which is good. Sorry to hear the Jann Mardenborough news - he is a very special racer, having graduated from Playstation rather than karts like the vast majority. He was at Le Mans last year.

ERs just grows in membership it seems, which means we must be putting out the right vibe - as they say these days!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks Ian - sorry to hear about the discomfort. I think I understand the pineapple reference, and I'll spare you an explanation. Though I might tell you about the old man in the hospital with the drill some time.

We have wooden shutters, but only on the ground floor, they need painting and they don't fit very well. My neighbour has the rollers but I've not been able to catch him in the last few days. I've only just managed, after 15 years, to persuade Julie that French people close their shutters at night and in bad weather for a reason (!) and we reckon we could keep the house a lot warmer. Rollers mean not going out in the wind and rain (and standing in a flower bed) to close them...

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ian - sorry to hear about the discomfort. I think I understand the pineapple reference, and I'll spare you an explanation. Though I might tell you about the old man in the hospital with the drill some time.

That makes me think of one of the Green Ayre tem who is a retired Orthopaedic surgeon.  He says that every orthopod worth his salt used to keep a sterilised Balck and Decker in the operating theatere just in case.  I will not go any further into what were known as bush fires though.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 8

Afternoon guys,

I'm back from Germany. Tetsodofan, with a longer journey from St Pancras, will undoubtedly be joining us later.  Meanwhile I have 65 e-mails and numerous pages of ER to catch up on.

Bill

• Like 2

We have wooden shutters, but only on the ground floor, they need painting and they don't fit very well. My neighbour has the rollers but I've not been able to catch him in the last few days. I've only just managed, after 15 years, to persuade Julie that French people close their shutters at night and in bad weather for a reason (!) and we reckon we could keep the house a lot warmer. Rollers mean not going out in the wind and rain (and standing in a flower bed) to close them...

The "rollers - rolladen - I think you mean are pretty much standard in Germany. The parts of France that border on Germany also seem to have them fitted.

Is that a part of the world you can dig about in?

Is this link any help?

http://www.rollladen-growe.de/home

Mike