RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I was in there twice! Once at around 1330 then at 1600. Both times I drank cider and sat at a table for two near the front of the bar, looking outside.

And I was watching, not participating!

PS And I like Marmite!!

Sat in the open doorway? You should have said hello. It was so nice there this afternoon after the bad start to the day. I was surprised that John doesnt invite some of the musicians to go there and play. He always had jazz there, dont know if he still does.

I like Bovril!

Evening all,

Just retired for the night and very weary - so I'll try to post in the morning but I had to wish Simon and Mrs G a happy anniversary, and many more to come!

Personally, I look on Morris Dancing as part of the 'folk' history of entertainment and, though it is far from my favourite element of such, it still gives a great deal of joy to many, participants and audience alike. I thus feel it's wrong to ridicule such a part of our history, just because it isn't to one's personal taste! I picked up on Sherry's point about youngsters getting involved and that can only be for the good.

Some people dislike trad. Jazz, but the pubs near where I lived at Oxford were packed when it was playing, and even this old classical fan found his foot tapping! The crowds watching the Morris Dancers would suggest that there are still quite a few fans out there!

Hope you have a good Sunday all, with two lots of motorcycle racing and the F1, I will be happy.

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 14

Went to bed, went to sleep, woken up by bunch of selfish t*ssers in the street outside*, now wide awake and can't go back.

*Kids in car, having a long loud chat with drunk mate whilst they were dropping him off, with car stereo on. Nice.

OK - what is this for? I could say certain people aren't allowed to guess, but that might give a clue.

Taken earlier this week:

post-1771-0-89684200-1434848828.jpg

(Edit - for answer see post#95485 below)

Edited by pH
  • Like 4

Evening all,

Personally, I look on Morris Dancing as part of the 'folk' history of entertainment and, though it is far from my favourite element of such, it still gives a great deal of joy to many, participants and audience alike. I thus feel it's wrong to ridicule such a part of our history, just because it isn't to one's personal taste! I picked up on Sherry's point about youngsters getting involved and that can only be for the good.

Jock.

You’ll never convert me, Jock, never!

On the contrary please watch the movie “Whiplash” - I believe it has just opened in the UK.........

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

OK - what is this for? I could say certain people aren't allowed to guess, but that might give a clue.

To scare away selfish t*ssers in cars? Edited by BoD
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Awake early after a short-ish night, for the longest day. There must be some logic in there somewhere. Cloudy start, but sunny later, they say. Having mowed lawns yesterday morning, a good strim beckons today.

With Sherry in Teignmouth, and cleaner Alison at the skool fete - she and her three young sons seem to have walked home after midnight from the bbq and dance - I'm obviously Cinderella, and it quite suits me! Morris has its place, to my mind. But if I go to a pub I will be there for a drink and a chat - not to watch dancing or listen to live music, thankyou. Southern Region's last General Manager, John Ellis, had Morris in his family background I think, but then he also played hockey. A very decent chap, I think he now heads up some sort of umbrella group for preserved lines.

Also not a trad jazz fan, but more than 40 years ago, Deb and I might venture to Thornton Heath, where the Lord Napier had live trad jazz you could hear streets away. I must have been less of a curmudgeon then!

Hornby have released a locomotive - and the handrails aren't right, apparently. An RMwebber in Brazil, who no longer even models in 4mm, nevertheless feels so strongly about this aberration that he posted that we should not buy the model. Too late mate - and do get a grip! It takes all sorts to make a forum.

F1 from Austria later. The circuit looks pathetic, the scenery is gorgeous - the opposite of so many bland countries with more challenging tracks!

Hope your day of rest works.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

It's early but good morning all!

The birds are singing in our garden so all must be well in their world.

A belated Happy anniversary to Simon G and his other half.

Apparently it's Father's Day today. Eldest Herbert is away and a planned day out at the White Bear in Masham with youngest Herbert didn't materialise.

Never mind!

Have a super Sunday!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Another morning here in Kegworth and looking forward to the third day at the GCR but with our friend in our thoughts again. It's going to be a tough one for him and his close family bearing in mind he lost his father to the same disease only last September.

The Hornby 700 handrail issue seems blown out of all proportion to me at the moment.

Remember the days when we had moulded on handrails???

Yesterday afternoon in my break from operating I weathered my 700 so it should be dry to bode up today. Next to it I have 4 Czech coaches by Roco with the wheels out for painting. Remember when Continental models had much finer wheels. nowadays they look so coarse compared to British outline ones.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Parenthood wasn't on my grand plan but I ended up as stepdad to two decent kids, now 18 and 25. I am a dad when they need something, or it's their birthday or whatever. Rest of the time I am wallpaper. Fathers day has happened some years for each of them, but equally often has gone un-marked. Expectations this year, low.

Where does Fathers Day come from? I always gave Dad things and my boys did likewise. But how why did it start?

Now there are grandparent days etc.........but the whole thing is strange.

Mothers day started off originally as Mothering Sunday. This was the day when people would visit their 'Mother' church and attend the service. It was nothing at all to do with mothers. So why and how did Fathers Day start and why is it enlarging?

• Like 6

Mornin' all,

Bright, warm and dry for the constitiutional in The Moorlands....up a little late so just a straightforward calorie burn around the short anticlockwise. Preparations for the next fundraising coach trip well in hand....this one to Newark inc. a cruise on the River Trent.

Church duties later

Now music by Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong.....Summertime

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 13

Morning all

..........With Sherry in Teignmouth, and cleaner Alison at the skool fete - she and her three young sons seem to have walked home after midnight from the bbq and dance - I'm obviously Cinderella, and it quite suits me! ........

Hope your day of rest works.

That would imply that Alison and I are the "Ugly Sisters"!!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

That would imply that Alison and I are the "Ugly Sisters"!!

Ooh! Did I say that? Didn't I tell you both last week that you are my two favourite ladies?

Seen on Facebook, written by a humourless former RMwebber, who I think was rusticated for causing too many arguments, and is currently in Besancon:

"Day two of having the sh*ts and no food, not a bad diet plan and very effective (and cheap)

Woke up to the sound of an argument, in French, and a view of the local ring road, two features that are not unrelated.

Shite hotel and we are getting on the road thus avoiding their crappy breakfast (which we can't eat anyway)

In short, a typical holiday."

Some people have all the fun!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all! Bit of a sleep-in after a marvellous tapas dinner. 

I'm not sure I even want to look in the thread dealing with...

The Hornby 700 handrail issue seems blown out of all proportion to me at the moment.

Remember the days when we had moulded on handrails???

…but it seems awfully familiar to me from German modelling forums just by the sound of it. Yes, I do strive for the highest sensible level of authenticity and thus there are errors which for me would rule out buying a specific model, such as serious moulding, painting blunders or indeed useless drivetrains – provided they would be beyond my skills to correct and should have been noticed by QC at the latest. However, I do sometimes get the impression that some modellers deliberately go looking for reasons not to buy a certain model, rather than devote their mental faculties to determining what might be fixable, and how.

Have a good one, everyone...

Edited by 1216 025
  • Like 11

Morning all.

Grey and breezy here in Carshalton-sur-Mer as the last strains of t*ssers in the street fade away...

Father's Day, so an image of me as Darth Vader put on Facebook by youngest and being taken out for lunch by the eldest (or in theory, Blondie as Pop-Pops Day). Will be nice.

modlyn/Do you remember I broke all the rules a while back and asked about putting Kadee couplers on Bachmann bogies? The answer is to get #49 Long Overset couplers and mount the box above the coupler plate on the end of the bogie. The Kadee box fits well enough that you can use the same screw hole for fixing./endmodlyn

Some stuff to do today, but mostly dossing, eating and then napping and watching the Grand Prix on time shift.

Have a good day, all.

• Like 13

what a day!

Raining when I got to Barnsley but we started at 12:23, Hull batted first and were all out for 208 in their last over (54.2). And it was humid and very still.

Lasagne, chips , garlic bread and salad for tea

In all my years playing cricket, I can never recall having lasagne & chips as a cricket tea!  In fact, as an opening bowler, I would be quite miffed by it as I would not be able to do the tea justice and then go and bowl properly.  From a purely selfish point of view, I always wanted to bowl first if I knew that there would be a good tea!  I could then have time to digest it while our top order batsman did their stuff, and then go in to bat later on (usually somewhat briefly!).

• Like 12