The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Congratulations on yesterday's anniversary Andy.

Up at stupid o'clock for a Sunday. Must be excited about the Didcot visit and an impending soaking.

Now where's my brolly?

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Belated happy anniversary, Andy. Do enjoy the holidays, too!

Still slightly breezy outside. The two cars that got hit by the tree last night don't seem that badly damaged, far as I can tell from the 3rd floor. They will, of course, requiring fixing regardless!

We might be going to the zoo today, but first of all, I need some coffee…

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning from a very wet Exeter. Can't post a photo of St David's station like the one I did yesterday!

What a great day yesterday was with a visit to Barnstaple clubs exhibition then a quick trip to Dawlish before heading to the Bridge Inn at Topsham.

Finally heading back to Exeter for a few beers in various pubs. Even found a new area of the city that we hadn't been in before. A walk down a flight of steps eventually brought us out next to the Mill on the Exe for a final half pint before heading back to the hotel.

This morning we take the train to Okehampton and Meldon. Something I haven't done since a rail tour many years ago.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Cloudy now and forecast to rain for most of the day.

No plans for the day have been revealed so far. I thought I may have to go over to MiL's in Enfield as she has done something to stop the push buttons on one of her lavatory cisterns working. There was a burst water main in Enfield last week and MiL lifted the cistern lid to see why the loo wouldn't flush. It doesn't work now. I have sent photos over to Aditi's sister who also lives in Enfield to determine whether the mechanism looks like the one in our house. If it does MiL has destroyed it , if not it is possible something is misplaced.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Interesting pictures of Skates, but how do they fit them? (I'm assuming that they somehow have to lift and immobilise the offending wheels)

Jack up the offending wheel set(s), insert skate, lower wheels onto skate.  The elevation only needs to keep the flanges clear of the rails and must keep the roof line within gauge to avoid striking overhead objects.  Note the skate wheels are quite small to achieve this which limits the speed of permitted movement as they need to track correctly and not wander through point frogs for example.

Morning all.

Extremely windy night here.  Breakfast in town at a much quieter than normal regular cafe and with the market almost completely absent.  Three stalls braved the weather; there would typically be over 100.  

Congrats to Andy on the anniversary.  Welcome back Ian and Sherry.  Last of five days off here - what to do?  In this weather probably eat, drink and be as merry as a zero-alcohol early start tomorrow permits :D

• RMweb Premium

Belated anniversary wishes to Mr and Mrs Andyram.

Didn't post last night as I was gently fuming about my game yesterday. Still only got a little bit damp! A trip to Sheffield Collegiate beckons today. I reckon I will get there just before the deluge forecast hits.

Kitchen rebuild is at a crossroads as the shower above the kitchen is leaking so no new ceiling can be fitted.surviving with a large microwave and two electric hot plates for cooking means some strange combinations of food are appearing.

Have a nice Sunday all.

Baz

• Like 1

Happy Ann Andy.

Sunny Teignmouth is currently receiving someone elses share of rain as well as our own. It is hissing down! Roundhouse sounds like he found the pubs on the Quay at Exeter. A great area on a nice day to sit, drink and people watch. Have a good day today in Okehampton. Some good pubs to visit in Teignmouth and Shaldon if you have time.

The presents-for-teachers thing seems to have been taken over too commercially now Sherry. Everywhere you look there are specially made presents. I fully appreciate the important job that the majority of teachers do but making them carry home crates of presents could put their backs out! Like Andy said, they probably only want so many mugs with "best teach on". But I guess that has to be weighed up against the health hazards of carrying the wine, then drinking it whilst eating all the chocolates.

Looking forward to our trip to Belgium in a few weeks, other than that we just have a few day trips out and about locally, starting with Exeter on Tuesday then further afield into Kernow territory in coming weeks. Also a visit to Babbacombe, the beach and Angels.

Today the rain looks like restricting us from venturing out.

• Like 14

Morning all. Naff'n nasty here in Carshalton-sur-Mer.

I'm sorry I still haven't read all of yesterday's posts, but happy anniversary, Andy, and I must track down the post about skates, it looks fascinating.

Today we are accepting into our household Daisy's guinea pigs as she is off to Center Parcs for a few days. Then some Monty. Then a Sainsbury's delivery. Oh be still my beating heart. Oh, and a grand prix to watch. Speaking of which - have a great Sunday, team, - laters.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a bright and sunny village, though rain is forecast for later.  

Congratulations to Mr and Mrs Andyram.

Well a day without Beth passed well and I didn't starve.   The hen do party departed mid morning and the groom and I got most of the shopping done.  However we got one thing wrong.  The list said one bottle of Martini - Dry.  We duly bought such a bottle to be told that we've got the wrong one, it should have been Cinzano extra dry.  I told Martyn that this was an induction to married life and the immutable law of being wrong.   As it's his 3rd time round he ought to have known that by now.  

Anyway a pleasant afternoon watching the Tour de France ensued and then I actually managed to find the pre made overhead masts for the platform area of Green Ayre. 

After dinner we congregated in the pub next door and a very pleasant evening ensued. Not a bad day.

Anyway on to today , church this morning then the final day of the TdF before a meal with Beth's ex schoolfriends and their partners.  In between time I will try and do some modelling.

Just hope that the good weather holds long enough for me to get the 2nd batch of washing out on the line and thus earn some short lived brownie points.

Ian(RH) I'm jealous as I've never done the Okehampton line.  My rail riding mate did it when he was in the army.

Jamie

Duly edited for gender changing typo (Ta Dave (TG))

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 19

Peeing down again in Berkshire, which will put in doubt our match against Badgemore Park tomorrow.  Of course as captain for the day, that will be my fault….:-)

Finally got my sieve up and running and amazed at the amount of crud it's pulling out of the water.  Hopefully in a few days my boys will be swimming in gin clear water.

Not much else on the cards today other than the GP.

I hope Annie's day went well and looking forward to seeing the pics. 

Puss is still confined to barracks but it seems dementia has set in.  As a one woman cat, she always avoided me like the plague, but she seems to have taken on a whole new way of life and has rubbed up against me and let me stroke her again.  That must be the first time in 10 years.  Maybe she's at peace with herself.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 2

Mornin' all,

Happy anniversary Mr & Mrs Andy

Dry and bright in The Moorlands at 06.00 for a rerun of the short clockwise constitutional. Showground being packed away for another year....didn't manage to attend after all yesterday, what with the 'tooing & froing' but at least it was a sunny day for them.

Is is eating well and had a good night....more relaxed about the medication now, sleeps better and ironically doesn't need to take it....a little psycology involved methinks.

Now music by Frankie Valli & the four seasons.....Walk like a man

Church duties later.....new Server's rota produced and a few copies printed off

Feathered ones provided for....why do they poo in the place where they eat?

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 15

Happy anniversary, Andyram. Had been holding off mentioning this but our schools broke-up 3 weeks ago - course that means that autumn term starts in mid-August. The autumn term here always seemed never-ending to us parents - and doubtless to the teaching and other school staff.

Mal

• Like 1

Morning all from a bright and sunny village, though rain is forecast for later.  

Congratulations to Mrs and Mrs Andyram.

Well a day without Beth passed well and I didn't starve.   The hen do party departed mid morning and the groom and I got most of the shopping done.  However we got one thing wrong.  The list said one bottle of Martini - Dry.  We duly bought such a bottle to be told that we've got the wrong one, it should have been Cinzano extra dry.  I told Martyn that this was an induction to married life and the immutable law of being wrong.   As it's his 3rd time round he ought to have known that by now.  

Anyway a pleasant afternoon watching the Tour de France ensued and then I actually managed to find the pre made overhead masts for the platform area of Green Ayre. 

After dinner we congregated in the pub next door and a very pleasant evening ensued. Not a bad day.

Anyway on to today , church this morning then the final day of the TdF before a meal with Beth's ex schoolfriends and their partners.  In between time I will try and do some modelling.

Just hope that the good weather holds long enough for me to get the 2nd batch of washing out on the line and thus earn some short lived brownie points.

Ian(RH) I'm jealous as I've never done the Okehampton line.  My rail riding mate did it when he was in the army.

Jamie

.....does Andy know that he is also Mrs?

Dave

• Like 1

Morning all. It doesn't look like a lot is going to be done today due to the rain.

Sort out the back of the van - cancelled, hang washing up outside - cancelled, wash the van - cancelled. That only leaves shopping, ironing and watching F1.

Andy(ram) - Happy anniversary

Polly - Congratulations on becoming a 'passed driver'

Have a good day everyone

• Like 12

Stormy and wet. And unseasonably chilly and dark.

Come on John, what do you expect?

It is summer after all.

Interestingly though, just across the border here in S Derbyshire no rain at all, so far.

• Like 2