RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

20 years is a very good innings for a cat. I think one cat year is about 7 human ones.

Managed a kind of POETS day, was planning to get out of the house to see some real life (downside of working at home) but unusually BabySquid didn't want to nap in his cot, so ended up carrying him around, then as I was tired lay down for a while with him sleeping on my chest, and seem to have ended up playing with him for most of the evening. Which was nice. He's off to bed soon, hopefully.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

POETBEx is definitely upon me.

Work done. Bacon butty consumed and now time to load the stock in the car. The go to the clubroom to load the layout in the van and go and setup the show.

I may be some time...............

Enjoy the weekend folks

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 15

Good morning one and all

Compared with the trials of some inmates my life appears mundane - famous last words perhaps - but it is not without its irritations.  Back in July my bank saw fit to cancel a direct debit without my prior knowledge or consent.  This had the effect of terminating a magazine subscription and although I had the bank's blunder reversed within three days the subs agency has been very sluggish in reinstating the subscription.  As a result I have to remember to go out and buy the blasted comic, which I did yesterday after yet another phone call to the agency.  How fresh the air, how empty the streets, how needed the exercise!

On return something in the street looked different.  The white van had gone.  As a result my grubby white Polo is now in its preferred parking space for the first time in five weeks.  Little things please little minds, perhaps.   A curious interruption came in mid afternoon when a lady from the VW dealership telephoned with the aim of getting me to change my car.  As there is still a year to go on the finance agreement I thought this premature and said so, politely of course.  It seems that there is now a waiting time of four months for the preferred model and colour.  How fortunate we are to live in a booming economy.

Best wishes to all

Chris

Afternoon Chris,

As you probably know, I spent (too?) many years in the car business, even running dealerships, and I can tell you that the 'follow-up call' when a finance agreement has one year still to run is a standard ploy of the motor vehicle finance industry. This is more common with the companies that are owned by or attached to a particular manufacturer franchise. It suits them very well to convince clients that it is easy to 'trade-up' to the latest model, and they commonly offer you an encouraging early settlement figure to help entice you. Many people don't notice that in fact, they end up re-financing the outstanding balance in addition to that of the new agreement, therefore paying interest on it for two or three years more! If you take out a 0% agreement, the subsidy for the interest is normally written in to the profit margin - I believe it was my great grandfather who taught me many years back that "in this world, you get nothing for nothing" and, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't"! Wise words indeed. I particularly dislike the finance schemes introduced from the USA (I believe by Ford) called 'Personal Contract Purchase', where you pay a sizeable deposit, then a reduced monthly outgoing, followed by a lump sum at the end if you want to keep the car - simply check out the bottom line v. a standard finance agreement if you do keep it at the end. The principle is to lock you into their particular franchise as only one of their own dealers is likely to match the 'final figure' should you part exchange!

Sorry that your post triggered what effectively became a bit of a rant, but it was an area of the car business that I never felt comfortable with. Years back, one of the major companies in used cars was called 'Ocean Finance', fairly apt when I think of the number of sharks in that particular sea. I would always be happy to assist anyone with queries on the subject,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 5

I've come across Ocean Finance recently - they've won a VAT case vs HMRC.

I happily have bought my half a BMW - it's a relatively small deposit and straight line payment, with a balloon payment at the end or you give the car back - if it's valued above the residual you can reduce the next deposit etc. I know there is profit margin etc but then there is in any sale. I buy something I can afford to repay and that does me.

• Like 6

I would agree with you, Jock, so tread carefully around Finance Agreements.  My last Mercedes turned out to be worth around £4k-£5k less than the outstanding balloon payment, so it went back.  The idea that there will be a surplus at the end appears to be flawed, but no doubt others may have had a different experience.

RMweb must have spies in all sorts of places as I have literally just had a call from another Mercedes dealer, one year ahead of the game and offering me a kings ransom if I change my car now….:-)

• Like 1

20 years is a very good innings for a cat. I think one cat year is about 7 human ones.

Managed a kind of POETS day, was planning to get out of the house to see some real life (downside of working at home) but unusually BabySquid didn't want to nap in his cot, so ended up carrying him around, then as I was tired lay down for a while with him sleeping on my chest, and seem to have ended up playing with him for most of the evening. Which was nice. He's off to bed soon, hopefully.

Mission successful, off for some modelling stuff while I have the chance.

Sorry I can't comment on various people's situations, but do click the (hopefully) buttons when I get the chance. Hope what sounds like more positive news on various fronts continues.

• Like 8

Test coatrack finished and going for official approval this evening.

Now I just have to tidy up the shed workshop.

We often discuss how much investment we have made in order to produce cheap, simple things or do jobs around the house. Julie often gets comments that her products are 'just a bit of wood and paint, I could do that'. To make this coatrack (3 hooks @ £2.49 each and a piece of oak from stock) I used a chop saw (£250), 2 cordless drills (£100 each), 1 router (£250), 1 pillar drill (£150), 1 workbench (£300) and assorted rulers, measuring tapes, wax, drill bits and so on. So I reckon thats £1300 for the prototype... Plus skills.

I wonder how much I've got invested in modelling tools, materials, storage and so on. I shudder to think.

Incidentally, I am also making some display plinths for GBL Locos. Don't, ever, try using walnut wax on deal. It looks shocking. And in this heat the wax melts and looks like blood. And you'll waste several minutes looking for where you cut yourself without noticing...

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Richard, Will we have to convert part of the park next door to Guildex into a muddy hollow or does the whole of Telford Town Centre count. I'll be on the Bring and Buy (Not for sale though) if you are passing.

There is a muddy hollow a few hundred yards away on the site of the old brickworks.  It's location can be identified by the tall square (ish) chimney.

It was originally served by the Stirchley branch, in reality a long siding that crept out of the down goods yard at Hollinswood (now the site of the A 442 alongside the Telford Central station).

I only use it in emergencies as it is usually full of Telf urchins.

However, I think that I can manage a few hours on Sat to waddle down to the show and annoy you.

• Like 6

Morning all,

Early for me as Joanna wanted to go with 'Nursie' daughter to have a scan this morning - they are now working an early shift (7am) to clear a backlog, although I suspect she was seen early because she's 'in the job'. This is part of an ongoing neurological treatment which will also mean me taking her to the Oaks Private Hospital in Colchester on Monday. More shopping threatened afterwards as mum is joining us for the trip and I'm getting quite good at reading the signs!

Hearty congratulations are in order to Dick and Julie Smiff and Ian and Elizabeth Hargrave on their respective anniversaries - may both couples enjoy many more such events.

Geoff, great news about Kath, and I hope it means you can both enjoy the rest of your holiday. Doubtless you will be having further tests when you return home to try to deduce a probable cause of her scare?

Neil(NHN), you might guess that the MGP is recorded in the Sky+ box so that I can enjoy it at my leisure! Project 'X' gets more intriguing by the day, so hopefully our curiosity will be satisfied soon?

Mick(NB), hope the Blackburn show is a rip-roaring success. I'm afraid that I'm another who didn't much care for Blackpool after several visits. (a very long story I may relate one day, but bizarrely, I ended up as Managing Director of the Renault dealership there as a subsidiary of the Renault dealership I ran as MD here in Clacton!). My status required that I attend the grand opening and several regular meetings thereafter, and it is a simply awful place to reach from here. Each visit found the whole town appeared to be in a litter strewn and filthy state, even compared to our own seaside 'resort'!

Pete75C and Keith (tetsudofan), many thanks for the Mayflower images chaps - wrong region for me but at least it's steam driven! Good to see you posting again Pete!!

Andy(ram), good news about the cat but, not being very knowledgeable about felines, is 20 years a good innings? I am as you know, an LMS (ex G&SWR region) fan but I had to agree about the B1s - we had a couple of them land at Hurlford and Ayr towards the end of the steam era and although there was a bad attitude to them at first, their reliability and drive-ability soon changed the situation and they became quite popular with the crews and engineering department as time passed.

AndyId, thanks for the link to the 'curve drawing contraption' - although well schooled in Maths to a high level, I'm afraid to admit that I took the old fashioned simple method of drawing curves of varying radii on cardboard sheet using a nail, string, and pencil and cut them out. They hang in the garage ready to use, but of course don't take transition curves into account, so I think I'll examine the method you pointed out when it comes to laying down a full scale track diagram.

Hoping for good news on Mal from Edinburgh, as soon as the link to Rick in Oz connects. Fingers crossed also that Sherry's agony isn't too drawn out.

Rick, does the industrial action appear to be having any effect so far, and if it does, will you benefit?

Hope you are all looking forward to a good weekend, and more of Ian(RH)'s epic American travelogue. A quick bulletin from Flávio would also be nice!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock. I don't know about Blackpool (never been there), but my home town of Newquay certainly matches your description. I wouldn't go back if it wasn't for my family connections and childhood memories. There was a TV programme recently about the decline of the British seaside resort, the one which really surprised me was Jaywick which is now one of the most deprived areas in the UK and resembles a South African shanty town.

Forty-something years ago (!) a good friend of mine was doing his Teacher Training at Clacton. His "halls" in the first year were an ex-hotel, and very nice too with the original bar but SU prices. In the second year he and some friends took a bungalow in Jaywick, I remember it as an OK place.

On car finance I agree with you on PCP deals. When my son bought a "nearly new" car recently the garages kept pushing them. It seemed to me that you paid a lot up front, a lot each month and a **** of a lot at the end before you owned it provided it complied with all sorts of  criteria such as mileage and condition.

In other words a way to "afford" something you can't afford.

Ed

Edited by edcayton
  • Like 1

Afternoon all from that most boring of boroughs. One week of Swansea to go. Well 3 days on site and 2 from home. Finally almost free.

Good news Jock. Although with the amount of chemo in your system you probably glow in the dark by now. :jester: <insert joke about Scotsman saving money on the 'leccie by self illumination>

After a completely s**t week, things seem to be back to semi-meh. Physio today on the dodgy knee. It seems to be improving but still has its moments. Beats the knife though. The Landy lives again. What was originally thought to be a major engine problem turned out to be a damaged timing belt pulley. Once that was replaced she sailed through her MoT. Back on the road again with my wallet only £380 lighter. Been told by the powers that be that it is official. My next project is in the city and should last around 18 months.

That's about it for me. Take care and have a good weekend everyone.

Afternoon all,

I'm fresh from finding a large piece of metaphorical concrete and throwing it into a mill pond at work; very satisfying and hopefully will have the desired effect. 

Spotted this news item from Deeside

So, a "Well done" to the Duke of Rothesay. 

I'd venture that as the former fire-damaged Ballater station is council owned and insured he'll maybe not be best investing in that re-build.

• Like 5

As ever ER's seems to move on at a cracking pace which makes it difficult to keep up with everyone's goings on, as such I'm chuffed to read briefly of Ian's (Olddudders) good news and hope all's well with everyone else - best of luck and sympathies to those who're feeling below par or have worries aplenty, friendly / supportive smilies duly clicked where needed, I know it's not much but I've been the recipient of one or two at times and it does make a difference.

Just a quickie form me really which is but a 'first world problem' of course - I was about to give up on the DVLA bods at Swansea having waited ages for them to return the new V5C for my '73 Jag XJ6, I bought the car back in December last year and have been trying since then to persuade them that although it was first registered in March '74 it was in fact built in October '73, so qualified for tax exempt / historic vehicle status. At first they would not have it, but thanks to the nice folk at Jaguar Heritage and the even nicer lady behind the counter at our new post office (a dead ringer for Cathy McGowan of 'Ready Steady Go' fame), I now have a freshly minted V5C with the taxation class altered to historic. I tried two other post offices before to no avail!

Chin up folks!

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, back after a ten day break in northern Portugal, a very nice rental in the middle of nowhere with its own pool. On purpose we left laptops behind and escaped from the world and all its dramas.

So nice to read/swim/eat/drink and eat and drink again and just laze about!

No chance of catching up but congratulations and commiserations as appropriate.

Blackpool hmm a place to be avoided in my humble opinion!

Alan

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I heard Echo Beach (Martha and the Muffins) which I loved as a young'un - it really did evoke the longing for far off times and places;

You must be a yougster then, as I remember hearing it in a pub in the City of London, and joining in with the line "my job is very boring, I'm an office a pensions clerk. 

• Like 4

Just a quickie form me really which is but a 'first world problem' of course - I was about to give up on the DVLA bods at Swansea having waited ages for them to return the new V5C for my '73 Jag XJ6, I bought the car back in December last year and have been trying since then to persuade them that although it was first registered in March '74 it was in fact built in October '73, so qualified for tax exempt / historic vehicle status. At first they would not have it, but thanks to the nice folk at Jaguar Heritage and the even nicer lady behind the counter at our new post office (a dead ringer for Cathy McGowan of 'Ready Steady Go' fame), I now have a freshly minted V5C with the taxation class altered to historic. I tried two other post offices before to no avail!

Well done Nidge. My Midget was first registered Jan 1st 1972, so fairly obviously was built in '71. I had no problem getting her registered as historic but what I am concerned about is the "originality" regulations coming up. She has been re-shelled, had Gold Seal engine and gearbox but both arr now made of parts from different sources, all of which are, of course, pre-'73. Trigger's broom in other words! She's SORN'd at present as I can't drive her in my big slipper I have to wear for now. I do miss zipping around with the top down.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Is it a genuine Manx sauna cabin?

Nah, they're putting roofing felt on it.

Talking of crafty car finance deals the big problem I found was paying cash - when I bought the 407 the dealership turned down just about every form of money except a debit card, truly peculiar especially as they had cheerfully taken bank drafts for its two predecessors, very odd  (might be something to do with money laundering nonsense as apparently nowadays if you use cash in anything larger than 50p coins you seem to be regarded as some sort of criminal mastermind).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Debit card seems to be the preferred method. However there is a little known visa procedure where they set an arbitrary transaction limit and lock a card for the day. Do rather than even remotely fall foul of that I paid by bank transfer. Even that had to be done in two goes.

• RMweb Gold

Funny, I went to Blackpool once and it was raining.

Anyone been there twice?…..:-)

Yes - honest.

The first time I managed to get a couple of pics of ex L&Y 0-4-4Ts in use as stationary boilers at Blackpool Central; second time was in then girlfriend's sister's boyfriend's Reliant - it was after dark but the place had an unusual number of street lights some of which moved along on rails.

I've been to Southport as well - the first time it wasn't bad, as the station was still in one piece; the second time there was some sort of Orange Order (other such organisations are available I believe) behaving like a bunch of hooligans with their own very noisy tuneless bands marching along the sea front in a totally obnoxious manner and making (even bigger) idiots of themselves - after I'd got the fish & chips I quickly returned to the station and got on with helping to polish our engine.

I've been to Morecambe too - rather windy but I quite liked it although it still had a proper station back then.

• Like 8

Debit card seems to be the preferred method. However there is a little known visa procedure where they set an arbitrary transaction limit and lock a card for the day. Do rather than even remotely fall foul of that I paid by bank transfer. Even that had to be done in two goes.

American Express is a good way as they (Amex) offer various additional guarantees.

Best, Pete.